Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic storage after insulation

• 16-11-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭

I'm about to put down extra wool insulation in the attic. It is a big open space that currently has some boards lying on the joists which allows good storage space.

This wont be an option when the additional insulation is down - there is 100MM there at the moment, an additional 100MM will go in the gap between the joists on top of the current layer of 100MM, and the last layer of 100MM will go right angles to the joists.

So there is going to be nothing on which to put boards. So I either have to try to construct some sort of false floor that is suspended above the wool - I know its a bad idea to compress it. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? I am average at best) at DIY, but willing to give anything a go. The other question I have, once you insulate like this, it pretty much rules out access around the attic, right? i.e. you wont be able to see the joists.

Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'm about to put down extra wool insulation in the attic. It is a big open space that currently has some boards lying on the joists which allows good storage space.

This wont be an option when the additional insulation is down - there is 100MM there at the moment, an additional 100MM will go in the gap between the joists on top of the current layer of 100MM, and the last layer of 100MM will go right angles to the joists.

So there is going to be nothing on which to put boards. So I either have to try to construct some sort of false floor that is suspended above the wool - I know its a bad idea to compress it. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? I am average at best) at DIY, but willing to give anything a go. The other question I have, once you insulate like this, it pretty much rules out access around the attic, right? i.e. you wont be able to see the joists.

Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Just go and buy Knauf or Kingspan insulated loft boards.

They are a tongue and grove wooden loft board with 100-150mm of insulation stuck to the underside of them.

You can walk on them and also place goods on them,but nothing massively heavy.

1200 mm x 600mm in size and cost around 15 euro a board in most builders providers.

BnQ sell them too,but slightly smaller in size though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just go and buy Knauf or Kingspan insulated loft boards.

They are a tongue and grove wooden loft board with 100-150mm of insulation stuck to the underside of them.

You can walk on them and also place goods on them,but nothing massively heavy.

1200 mm x 600mm in size and cost around 15 euro a board in most builders providers.

BnQ sell them too,but slightly smaller in size though.

Did not realise they exist, thanks for the response. So maybe I should do one layer of additional 100MM qool, to bring it up to the height of the joists, and then use the insulated boards across the joists. Does that sound right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Did not realise they exist, thanks for the response. So maybe I should do one layer of additional 100MM qool, to bring it up to the height of the joists, and then use the insulated boards across the joists. Does that sound right?

yep,lay and build the insulation up around where you place the insulated loft boards.

The ideal amount of insulation in an attic is 300mm.

Advertisement