Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

been trying

Options
  • 16-11-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi

Ive been of the pill now for a year and two months. We have been trying to conceive with no joy. When i came of the pill my period was messed up and now starting to come back to normal. i had my period on the first last month and the 9th this month. every month i just seem to be disappointing. how do i know when im ovulating ? any advice would be much appreciated. im starting to worry thats somethings wrong.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

firstly, your body can take a while to adjust after the pill, but you can still concieve, but your periods take a while to settle down. mine started to have a recognisable pattern after about 4 or 5 months.

get a calendar, and mark in your information. i have one where AF is period, a smiley is ovulation, a heart is intercourse, then counting from day one of the period (CD1) in the date before the last day in my case is CD26 to CD28.

so you came off the pill and your first period after that was 1st Oct. this is day one of your cycle. so day 39 was the last day of your cycle, and on 9th November is day one again.

you can get ovulation predictior kits online that are much cheaper. if you are irregular you will be using loads so if they are really cheap then you dont mind so much. the ones in the chemist are eyewateringly expensive. i order from accessdiagnostics.co.uk. i got the ovulation sticks, pregnancy sticks and pre-seed lube in a moneysaver bundle.

i never charted, though i have the basal body thermometer, but some women do, and find it very helpful.

next, get up and close with your drawers. your cervical fluid, or mucos is a big indicator of ovulation. your fluid goes clear, like egg white and is slippery. ovulation typically occurs 14 days before your period. some women get ovulation pain, some never do. for me its 2 fingerwidths in from the pelvic bone to the left or right of my belly.

i know how you feel, im 19 months trying but we have our fertility appointment later in the week so i should know then what needs to be sorted.

after a year of trying, you should go to a GP to get the ball rolling for you. the first appointment was a simple blood test on days 3 and days 21 of my cycle. it highlighted an elevated level of a hormone, so she did a repeat test the following month, and it was still high. the clinc letter specified new day 3 & 21 bloods, plus screening for rubella, hep b, hep c, hiv and others. smear test too. bloke got bloods for hep b, hep c and hiv too. he will give a semen sample on the day of the appointment and i will get a transvaginal scan. then we should have all the information.

hope your TTC journey goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hi Applesock,

Most people I spoke to that tried for a baby after coming off the pill took at least 6 months to get pregnant.
    Everyone is different, but hopefully it wont take too much longer for you.
    Chin up, it is frustrating getting the negative test each month, but with a bit of luck & perseverance you will get your positive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

hi thanks so much for the advice. Im going to start keeping a diary of my dates so i know whats going on, can be terrible disappointing each month. My boyfriend starting to worry thats somethings wrong. But i think maybe were not actually spending enough "quality time " together. The price of ovulation test in the chemist is crazy, thanks so much for the link. Even the pregnancy test are crazy expensive, ive stopped buying them because i get so hopeful if im late & then a couple of minutes later disappointment. but need to stay positive :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hey Applesock,

here is the link to the website i got my Ovulation kits from:
    http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Fertility_Bundles.html

i think i got 80 Ov tests, plus 20 early preg tests for £45GBP, so it worked out at about €55-60 at the time, last february. its well worth it - im about to re-order the same again, so over the year, its very cheap. i got it delivered to work, and it was in plain brown packaging, nothing to indicate where it was from, and all within about 3 days. i was very impressed.

the quality time you mention - it can be hard to find the time (and the energy!) but once you get to recognise your cycle, and your fertile times then you can concentrate your efforts around that. try and work back your calendar as best you can remember, if you do need to go to the doctor, then the more detail you can give them, the better.

Advertisement