Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck and cover?? but where?

• 16-11-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Im in cork lads huge winds battering the dish as we speak and ment to get worse as night goes on! got a 1.1m dish on the chimney:rolleyes: and ideas as where to park it? ive it on 1west thor now that good or bad idea? wind coming from southeast so rte tell us anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

A 1.1m on the chimney????? Bye bye chimney and house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

snaps wrote: »
    A 1.1m on the chimney????? Bye bye chimney and house!

My thoughts exactly but its pulled through before so hopefully again.. just wanted to know if anyone knew where best position is to park it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

twig wrote: »
    Im in cork lads huge winds battering the dish as we speak and ment to get worse as night goes on! got a 1.1m dish on the chimney:rolleyes: and ideas as where to park it? ive it on 1west thor now that good or bad idea? wind coming from southeast so rte tell us anyway...

Where in Cork are you??????????? Was thinking of upgrading and a 1.1m dish would do even if i had to do a bit of panel beating:D:D...

Hahaha god out here in Bishopstown is fair rough, hope the dish is still intact at home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

My dish has already been blown a few degrees off line.:(
    Came home from work to watch some Tv and 28e was breaking up mad.
    Its the South East wind that always bloody gets my dish.
    I positioned it so as its sheltered from Westerly and South Westerly winds but its exposed to South Easterly especially when pointing at 28E,its facing the wind straight on.
    South Easterly wind is a rare enough wind .
    I have manually adjusted the position but its definitely been moved by the wind so I'll have to realign it.
    That South East wind always get me :mad:
    Time to park it at 30w for the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My 1 metre has been taking a battering also however luckily it hasn't stirred an inch yet, I always park it at 8*West and the unique sheltered properties of my back yard with the roof of the house, garage and hedge all seem to work well for my dish. My dish is almost at the bottom of a U shape of shelter but still tracks the arc of the clarke belt without interference from the said sheltered obstacles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

My thoughts exactly but its pulled through before so hopefully again.. just wanted to know if anyone knew where best position is to park it?

IMHO take it off the chimney before you're landed with a 3-5k bill if it comes off. Is there any way you can position it down near ground level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You need to get that dish off the chimney. Did you put it up yourself of did you get someone to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Yeah echo those comments, a 1.1m dish on a chimney in a costal county is utter madness, I don't even like putting a 60cm sky dish up on a chimney,
    Is the bracket lashed to the chimney or is it bolted on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Professional Dishes have elevation motors to park them horizontal.

It depends as much on structure of chimney, more than how the dish is attached. Also how tall it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

well it lasted and still works perfectly today:D! as far as i know everything looked ok from outside and all the signals seemed to be good! i had it put up properly by steve from satellitetv.. Never been moved out of line or anything so far.. its been up there a year or so and still going strong :)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,111 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

good! i had it put up properly by steve from satellitetv..Never been moved out of line or anything so far.. its been up there a year or so and still going strong !

Put up properly on your chimney :rolleyes:
    Its only a matter of time before that wind load takes its toll on your chimney.
    Might not be next year or the year after but sooner rather than later you could be looking at a big bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

You need to really check your chimney for stress damage, I was out to a 1.2m dish in Galway that was mounted on a chimney, when i got up the the chimney was cracked all the way round the chimney, running from both sets of bolts. I got the house owner up there to show him and he was shocked. I still dont know why some installers even put sky dishes on chimneys when there really is no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

South south easterly winds have struck yet again tonight and blown my dish way offline.
    Damn them anyway.:mad:

Advertisement