Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full body scanners prove devisive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Can't download the video. Can you explain it a bit more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The statistics used to measure the level of radioactive exposure you receive in this machines was inaccurately portrayed. Also, I saw an article just today where 35,000 images had been stored by a machine used in a courthouse.

They are not proven to be safe and have been proven not to be private.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126833083

http://gizmodo.com/5690749/these-are-the-first-100-leaked-body-scans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

So Neil Prenderville was just really, really making sure that there wasn't a bomb attached to his cock then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

What if its a cold day, I wouldn't want an unfair representation of myself being put out there to the hot female security.

.....of me cawk size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I like the part where the journalist said " It will be sexual assualt if you weren't government"...sounds true to me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

id rather a pat-down than going through one of these scanners.problem is if everyone wants a patdown you're looking at major delays getting through security.

Why arent other forms of transport subject to such stringent checks? you could get on a bus/train tomorrow with a bomb in your bag no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Priests will leave the holy life behind and start working in airports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

df1985 wrote: »
    id rather a pat-down than going through one of these scanners.problem is if everyone wants a patdown you're looking at major delays getting through security.

Why arent other forms of transport subject to such stringent checks? you could get on a bus/train tomorrow with a bomb in your bag no problem.

Getting 200+ people on a bus might be difficult.... also, to attack aviation causes a problem for economies because of the fear factor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're about 6 months late to this topic.

http://consumerist.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&limit=20&search=tsa

The first 3 results pages are probably the most relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Disagree. Its an enormous breach of privacy (especially for transpeople) and its dangerous. X-rays are things you don't want to be going near unless you absolutely have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Are you sure some of you are not just gonna miss the pat downs and dare I say the most action ye get;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yeah, there's a lot of talk about that over here, all over the news.

I would have a problem with someone grabbing me in places I didn't want them to, even if its the government, but having gone through San Diego airport just a few weeks ago, the part down was very basic, no funny business at all.

I guess those screens should definitely be reviewed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How good are they really?
    German show with English subtitles

There are no subtitles, I can't understand what they're pointing at :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Honestly can't see the problem. We're all the same. I mean who cares?

Some stranger can see a 3D picture of ya......so what. It's a stranger you'll never see again and anyway they're looking at thousands of people all day.

Like going to the Doctor, they've seen it ALL before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Honestly can't see the problem. We're all the same. I mean who cares?

Some stranger can see a 3D picture of ya......so what. It's a stranger you'll never see again and anyway they're looking at thousands of people all day.

Like going to the Doctor, they've seen it ALL before.

Thing is, you choose to go to the doctor. You decide to let them see whatever for your health's sake. These body scanners just show how our society has taken paranoia to the extreme. X-rays will just cause more problems than they'll solve.

To be honest, I don't really care about the invasion of privacy; I just feel these scanners are one of many very sad indications of the future (along with many people's need to disinfect every single surface of their home for example). How depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

biko wrote: »
    How good are they really?
    German show with English subtitles

So what they're proving is, these scanners don't work on the obese?
    That could lead to all sorts of discrimination.... :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I would have a problem with someone grabbing me in places I didn't want them to, even if its the government, but having gone through San Diego airport just a few weeks ago, the part down was very basic, no funny business at all.

That's the catch, then.

The reason this is back in the news is that the alternative to the scanner was a fairly mild pat-down. The pat-down process changed a week or two ago to be a little more thorough, so people who are opting out of the scanner are instead being a little more intimately investigated, bringing the entire issue back into the limelight.

To a point, if you're going to have a pat-down, make it a thorough one or don't bother at all.

Then again, it's also impossible to completely seal off an aircraft and its passengers to any practical level, so maybe inspecting for contraband isn't the best way of ensuring safety.

Perhaps a more 'insh'Allah' attitude is required. We all accept that every time we strap ourselves into a car we run the risk of being killed by a drunk driver. Happens often enough. We should just accept that every time we strap ourselves into an airplane we run the risk of getting blowed up by a Jihadist. If we accept that fate, then the terrorist concept of striking fear of death just doesn't work any more.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lil_lisa wrote: »
    There are no subtitles, I can't understand what they're pointing at :(
    Press the little button that says CC, that's the subtitles.

• Advertisement

Thing is, you choose to go to the doctor. You decide to let them see whatever for your health's sake.

Yeh, and if I choose to travel, I accept I have to submit to whatever security checks the airline sees fit. I don't think I'm so important as an individual that somehow the sight of my ....erm 'junk' :D will make their day.
    These body scanners just show how our society has taken paranoia to the extreme. X-rays will just cause more problems than they'll solve.

But they're needed. If we want to continue to travel, that's the trade-off.
    To be honest, I don't really care about the invasion of privacy;

Me neither. People whinging about this need to get over themselves. Reminds me of Diana Ross a few years back at Heathrow and her hysterical Prima Donna carry on. Embarassing. No individual is that interesting or important that they don't have to obey the security rules.
    I just feel these scanners are one of many very sad indications of the future (along with many people's need to disinfect every single surface of their home for example). How depressing.

I'd say one of the very many sad indications of our present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm not bothered by those machines, usually if someone wants to see me naked all they have to do is ask. If I'm drunk they mightn't even have to do that, I volunteer the information.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeh, and if I choose to travel, I accept I have to submit to whatever security checks the airline sees fit. I don't think I'm so important as an individual that somehow the sight of my ....erm 'junk' :D will make their day.

I doubt airport security will care at all tbh. All they'll be seeing from what I understand is a blurry outline. Like I said this facet doesn't bother me at all

But they're needed. If we want to continue to travel, that's the trade-off.

Are they?

Are they?

Must be, I'm sure they cost a few bob and stop people smuggling bombs in their....bums. Bumbs as they're called. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

In that latest film by the fella who shagged a child ages ago the British ex prime Minster says a good thing

He says. There should be two ques one for people that want airport security and one for those who dont

I know which flight I'd want

So the question here is, how far is too far?

When they're stopping people going between countries or states in their own cars or public buses and giving them a "groin check" in the middle of the street?

When they start scanning your checked luggage?

When they start scanning all emails and phone calls within the country and internationa...wait a sec, they already do this!

Of course there should be a line between security and privacy but there's always gonna be one person to mess it up for the rest of us!

I usually have nothing to hide, I don't really care, but I do have a problem having to possibly explain to my future children why the school janitor can't touch you there but the TSA officer has every right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Any safety issues to these scanners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

They can't call it the land of the free anymore, they just can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I went through one in San Francisco a few weeks ago, the sign saying you could choose to have a pat down instead was TINY and I didnt even realise you had the option until after I went through, given the choice I'd have taken the pat down, wont be going through one again next time I head over there. I did see one guy getting searched as i was putting my shoes back on and they were being fairly thorough, not pulling out the rubber glove thorough but not a quick pat down either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

krudler wrote: »
    I went through one in San Francisco a few weeks ago, the sign saying you could choose to have a pat down instead was TINY and I didnt even realise you had the option until after I went through, given the choice I'd have taken the pat down, wont be going through one again next time I head over there. I did see one guy getting searched as i was putting my shoes back on and they were being fairly thorough, not pulling out the rubber glove thorough but not a quick pat down either.

Aw dammit. Scanner for me so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

krudler wrote: »
    Out of interest was he a white guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Did anyone look at the links in the second post? Who cares if thats all they can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

That guys full story is here on his blog.

Interesting the way they treated him afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Being an exhibitionist I cannot wait to go through one of these scanners.

Can I request a pat down as well though? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd go through one. Who cares. Everyone knows the deal, Its been in the pipe line for so long. I'd know before I'd travel it's a possibility. I was actually in San Diego airport and didn't have to go through it but saw people going through without complaint.

Airport security is a necessary burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

So Neil Prenderville was just really, really making sure that there wasn't a bomb attached to his cock then ?

Then he went and dropped the proverbial jerk bomb on the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anybody else get the opinion this guy knew what he was doing and wanted this to happen. He was very well prepared it seems and very quick to blog about it and get the video out there. Seemed to be released to the press very quick too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it illegal to use a recording device while going through security?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it illegal to use a recording device while going through security?

A pilot a few weeks ago recorded some interactions with security and posted them to youtube. I reckon if you're going to do it, make sure its on the sly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

if you listen carefully to the video's, you can hear a tic toc noise coming from the guys shaft.
    TSA - mission accomplished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

Advertisement