Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

This post has been deleted.

He did say WITHIN 50 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The Dagda wrote: »
    He did say WITHIN 50 metres.

Assuming the road is 3m wide, its about 7.5m away for a measurement. Thats going by their guidelines and assuming a 22 degree beam. From previous systems, its generally accepted that 40m is the absolute max with the average being 15m.

i.e. If it catches you, you're blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

ironclaw wrote: »
    Assuming the road is 3m wide, its about 7.5m away for a measurement. Thats going by their guidelines and assuming a 22 degree beam. From previous systems, its generally accepted that 40m is the absolute max with the average being 15m.

i.e. If it catches you, you're blind.
    Really? It's that close?

Given that these vans are high viz, how can they catch anyone? How many penalty notices do they issue each year anyway?

So, if you're caught speeding by these vans, not only are you speeding, but you're not paying attention... at all. You really are a danger on the road.

The Garda with the hairdryer hiding behind a bush, on the other hand.... :o

Generally, as a rule of thumb, you have up until 50m to see them. After that, you're chancing you arm. Not that you should be speeding anyway. But yes you are quite right you would have to be blind in most situations to miss them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pendant crew are up early this morning.

You mean pedant. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Gosub wrote: »
    Really? It's that close?

Given that these vans are high viz, how can they catch anyone? How many penalty notices do they issue each year anyway?

from memory i think newspaper reports stated that it was in the region of 1 or 2 per hour of operation.

so if a van sets up for a 3hr stint it'll catch 3 to 6 speeders

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Hey guys was doing 65 in a 60 today and noticed halfway through the road that there was a Gardai standing looking through a tripod. Was wondering is it more and likely a letter on the post incoming or will I be alright since I was never stopped? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thelionspet

I saw a curious set up a few weeks ago on the Clonee Bypass. There was a garda with tripod under one of the bridges (Dublin bound) which scared the bejaysus out of me even though I wasn't going fast. It's only an 80km part of the road though, be easy to get caught doing more on a dual carriageway. Then about 100m further on was a garda van not long before exit for M50. He was very well camouflaged. I read somewhere the tripod gun scans for tax/insurance. I don't know if this is true, maybe it is... and then the van does the speed. That's one thing, I'd love to know why there is such a long distance of 80km on the other side, Cavan bound... it goes on for miles and is waayyy too slow for that stretch of road.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thelionspet

That's so interesting and very plausible... I didn't speed up I can tell you.. I was so much in shock I almost forgot where I was going lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

came across a gatso recently,came around a blind bend and I admit I was over,on spotting it I got the speed down under the limit before I passed it,the gps I have is in mph,it was a 60 kmh zone,sat nav said I was doing 43 in a 35mph/60kmh,when I spotted the van I got the speed down,i passed the gatso/go safe van doing 30mph/50kmh,interesting to know what'll happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    came across a gatso recently,came around a blind bend and I admit I was over,on spotting it I got the speed down under the limit before I passed it,the gps I have is in mph,it was a 60 kmh zone,sat nav said I was doing 43 in a 35mph/60kmh,when I spotted the van I got the speed down,i passed the gatso/go safe van doing 30mph/50kmh,interesting to know what'll happen

nothing.

you were under/at the speed limit by the time you entered the catchment zone of the radar.
    as previously stated, you must be very close before a speed reading/photo is taken.

The GoSafe radar device has an absolute maximum range of 60metres.
    That 60m would be reached on the opposite side of the road for vehicles traveling in the away direction.

How ppl get caught by these vans during daytime is a mystery to me.
    Try driving on the continent, There you have to look out for a little grey tripod sitting at side of the road, disguised alongside the armco.

20090223-xu3kwsyhs3hb44u146urxbp2j8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭usher1890

I have a question about the Garda cars on the slip roads. Today I was doing just under 130kph (approx 127/128kph) on the motorway (120kph). If I was being done for speeding would they have come after me??? or would I even be done for speeding given my speedometer would of probably read no more than 125kph?

pa990 wrote: »
    nothing.

you were under/at the speed limit by the time you entered the catchment zone of the radar.
    as previously stated, you must be very close before a speed reading/photo is taken.

The GoSafe radar device has an absolute maximum range of 60metres.
    That 60m would be reached on the opposite side of the road for vehicles traveling in the away direction.

How ppl get caught by these vans during daytime is a mystery to me.
    Try driving on the continent, There you have to look out for a little grey tripod sitting at side of the road, disguised alongside the armco.

20090223-xu3kwsyhs3hb44u146urxbp2j8.jpg

i can see those type of devices used here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    i can see those type of devices used here yet

I think they would be given similar treatment to the old boxes. (the ones that kept getting burned out until they were abandoned)

I think they would be given similar treatment to the old boxes. (the ones that kept getting burned out until they were abandoned)
    :D

They aren't left overnight. Generally set up, watched and collect after an hour or two's use.

They won't be used here because they are too expensive and far too advanced to be successful implemented. Also time consuming to set up. The next money maker in this country is to tender for ANPR vans to do tax and insurance. Why this wasn't part of the GoSafe tender is beyond me. I'd have less of an issue with GoSafe is they were doing this as well as its actually productive work.

They aren't left overnight. Generally set up, watched and collect after an hour or two's use.

They won't be used here because they are too expensive and far too advanced to be successful implemented. Also time consuming to set up. The next money maker in this country is to tender for ANPR vans to do tax and insurance. Why this wasn't part of the GoSafe tender is beyond me. I'd have less of an issue with GoSafe is they were doing this as well as its actually productive work.
    the motorist really is a cashcow:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

...... The next money maker in this country is to tender for ANPR vans to do tax and insurance. Why this wasn't part of the GoSafe tender is beyond me......

Well the GoSafe contract expires in November 2014 (with the option of it being extended by another year)

So, i would expect the next time the contract is put out to tender it will include Tax detetction.

Anyway... why wasnt it put into the original contract ?, well maybe they wanted it to look like a safety thing rather than a revenue gathering exercise.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Safety%20Cameras%20Contract%20Signed

*Correction
    the contract will expire in 2015, with the option of another year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mobile-speed-camera-operation-starts-on-monday-136373.html

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

Lads, yas shouldn't be breaking the speed limit anyway. I was 18 and I was in a car with my friend, both of us drunk and speeding; Guess what happened? We crashed, he died and I nearlly died.

Stick to the limit lads.

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Lads, yas shouldn't be breaking the speed limit anyway. I was 18 and I was in a car with my friend, both of us drunk and speeding; Guess what happened? We crashed, he died and I nearlly died.

hmm i wonder if alcohol was removed from the equation would you have almost died crashed ?
    Stick to the limit lads.

Drink drive limits maybe

mikeecho wrote: »
    hmm i wonder if alcohol was removed from the equation would you have almost died crashed ?

Drink drive limits maybe

I meant speed AND alcohol limits, obviously.

Stick to the limit lads.

Video doesn't work man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Video doesn't work man.

Works with my ancient XP set-up but I wouldn't bother trying. It's just some Hollywood cr@p showing an airhead turning every? phrase? into a question? and the male doing the standard Hollywood reaction to stupid since the 1940's.
    • Speed cameras? Not a completely bad idea;
    • Free enterprise speed cameras? Hmmm....well....
    • Ireland? Not a completely bad place;
    • Free enterprise speed cameras in Ireland? Endless, alternative opportunities for wannabe-bouncers, wannabe-wheelclampers and other knuckledraggers to gain employment and to provide endless fodder for the likes of Radio Joe and boardies.
    Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

They aren't paying for themselves anymore.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629798-public-accounts-speeding/
    However, as speed detection dropped there was a shortfall of 30% in revenue collected to pay for the system and this had to come out of receipts from other fixed penalty notices that would have otherwise gone to the Exchequer.

Looks like we behaved ourselves too much. Contract is up Nov 2015 will be interesting.

• Advertisement

Days 298 wrote: »
    They aren't paying for themselves....

...... Contract is up Nov 2015 will be interesting.

GoSafe will end up doing road tax enforcement.. I reckon.

Advertisement