Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

blackis200 wrote: »
    People are learning not to speed. GoSafe revenue is down and they have expanded the network by 200 plus new approved sites.
    One crazy place they set up is outside the school in Ballyjamesduff in a 50 zone and I between 2 massive speed humps.

Well, unless they upp'd the number of vans (Which I don't believe they have given the cost of each one) you have more sites to cover, the same (or similar) amount of hours then of course your detection rate is going to be lower.

Its like expanding the fishing box but maintaining the same amount of fishing boats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its like expanding the fishing box but maintaining the same amount of fishing boats ;)

If they're just fishing, why choose a site like the one mentioned below?
    blackis200 wrote: »
    One crazy place they set up is outside the school in Ballyjamesduff in a 50 zone and I between 2 massive speed humps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Rymdav2012

I have a question about how the vans operate. I passed one today on N11 near Stillorgan and might have been slightly over the limit. However, there was a man sitting in the driver seat of the van. How many people operate a speed camera van, one or more? If he was in the driver seat will the van have been operating. Sneaky spot too near the stillorgan shopping centre where the road dips and you can pretty easily add 10-15km to your speed. Hope someone can answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

One person operates. But he sets it up and after that it is automatic. Driver can have a nap once setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Rymdav2012

Thanks, Ah thought if he was in the driver seat that he wouldn't be set up. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Rymdav2012 wrote: »
    I have a question about how the vans operate. I passed one today on N11 near Stillorgan and might have been slightly over the limit. However, there was a man sitting in the driver seat of the van. How many people operate a speed camera van, one or more? If he was in the driver seat will the van have been operating. Sneaky spot too near the stillorgan shopping centre where the road dips and you can pretty easily add 10-15km to your speed. Hope someone can answer

Only one operates. Once he has set it up it is pretty much automated. Where exactly on the N11 was it? Can you add it to our site here please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I.S.T. wrote: »
    Only one operates. Once he has set it up it is pretty much automated. Where exactly on the N11 was it? Can you add it to our site here please?
    A bit of a pointless site, unless you happen to have an Apple addiction or a Garmin sat-nav. No Android or windows phone support? No Tom Tom support? I would update locations if my devices were supported, but they're not.

To answer OP. If the operator is outside the van, setting up, you're safe. You might be lucky enough that the driver was finished and preparing to drive away, or maybe just arrived on site. If you got your speed down within 50m of the back of the van you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just in where Ford garage use to be.

It will catch you heading north for city just before stillorgan junction.

They do set up on opposite side also but southbound before the stillorgan junction.

Be careful also as the cops are getting very sneaky hiding up slip roads and catching you from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭skibum

The one going northbound:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.287291,-6.194806,3a,75y,18.01h,66.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slxnWwhe_CqyKPL2FgdNTCw!2e0

Going southbound:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.290433,-6.196701,3a,75y,72.63h,91.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sutYr7HPmr_1oqKEBWxtNqg!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Falcon L wrote: »
    A bit of a pointless site, unless you happen to have an Apple addiction or a Garmin sat-nav. No Android or windows phone support? No Tom Tom support? I would update locations if my devices were supported, but they're not.

To answer OP. If the operator is outside the van, setting up, you're safe. You might be lucky enough that the driver was finished and preparing to drive away, or maybe just arrived on site. If you got your speed down within 50m of the back of the van you should be OK.

Great idea for a site but agree with the bolded above, would like to see an Android app also. Any plans for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

pa990 wrote: »
    Have a read of mega thread, everything will be answered in the first and last few pages

(and repeated ad nauseum in between)

A simple yes or no would have been polite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

robbiew wrote: »
    A simple yes or no would have been polite :)

Kudos to you.

You managed to read back to a post from last year.

Keep it up kid, I'm proud of you

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

I went past an anpr traffic corps car today that was travelling in the opposite direction, going about 65mph in a 100kph zone (didn't look at the speedometer until too late)....I wasn't pulled over, do I have anything to be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Who is the Gatso named after?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Alan_007_ wrote: »
    I went past an anpr traffic corps car today that was travelling in the opposite direction, going about 65mph in a 100kph zone (didn't look at the speedometer until too late)....I wasn't pulled over, do I have anything to be worried about?

No. Anpr does not detect speed.

feargale wrote: »
    Who is the Gatso named after?

Maus Gatsonides
    No. Anpr does not detect speed.

The Cleartone ANPR system can read speed but is not used for fixed or stationary monitoring. In 99% of cases, a Traffic Corp Garda will pull you over.

Maus Gatsonides

The Cleartone ANPR system can read speed but is not used for fixed or stationary monitoring. In 99% of cases, a Traffic Corp Garda will pull you over.

I'm gonna have to research Mr Gastonides now.
    anyhow, anpr itself, cleartone or not does not read speed. A seperate system in the car can do that, measuring time over distance.

Puma - It is manually activated and is mostly used by unmarked cars following a speeding mororist, measuring the distance between fixed points on the road and the time it took a car to travel it. Calibrated over a marked out fixed distance every day. Once done the Puma shows the speed you are travelling at.

To be clear, the anpr works in tandem with this as it records on video the driving of the motorist during the time of the measurement. However there are cars with no Puma system that have anpr. Anpr itself is not the speed detecting device.

Also for you to be measured by this system you will have to be followed over a distance by a Garda car...so you will have been speeding with a garda car behind you. Kind of suggests you weren't paying due attention to driving if you didnt see them in the mirror.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/garda-in-vehicle-device-leads-road-safety-drive-118303.html

Here's an older article about the sytems in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

That article was published before it became clear that ANPR as used by the Gardai is practically useless. ANPR used properly with live links to reliable databases is a fantastic and very useful tool. However, the half-assed way it has been implemented here has rendered it gutless.

How can we take a fantastic tool and make it so much of an annoyance to crews that it remains de-activated most of the time? ANPR would be self financing if it was utilised properly, so cost shouldn't be a factor.

Oh, and don't bother researching Mr. Gatsowhatever. Gatso is a shortening of the system manufacturing company Gatsometer BV.

Too late. I looked him up. A rally driver who developed speed detection equipment to measure his speed while practicing. Now used by many police forces.

The anpr databases are shockingly bad. The insurance and cvrt data is nowhere near accurate and a waste of time, therefore normally disabled. The tax datebase is quite accurate, as it is updated from the nvdf.

However lets say i tax my car for a year today. In the form i fill in my insurance details. Which expires next month. Thats the last update available on the system for my car. So for the remaining 11 months until i tax again my car will flag as uninsured on an anpr system.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The anpr databases are shockingly bad. The insurance and cvrt data is nowhere near accurate and a waste of time, therefore normally disabled. The tax datebase is quite accurate, as it is updated from the nvdf.

However lets say i tax my car for a year today. In the form i fill in my insurance details. Which expires next month. Thats the last update available on the system for my car. So for the remaining 11 months until i tax again my car will flag as uninsured on an anpr system.

But isn't this an issue with the insurance companies not sharing their data (or was the issue on the side of the state)?

• Advertisement

Id have to imagine its a case of one party involved being very protective of the data they have and not wanting to share it with another group for fear of being found in breach of data protection. Thats the only thing i can think of.

@tomtucker81, a limited number of Garda cars are K-band radar equipped for speed measurement. However, you need to be in front of the car itself and I've only ever seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Maus Gatsonides.

Thanks. I thought it was Gatsonides. How did a Dutchman come to have that surname? Was he of Greek descent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

Passed a blue opel movano van parked on carrs hill in cork a 04 reg iirc,wondering was it a speed van or just parked there as it was there overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    Passed a blue opel movano van parked on carrs hill in cork a 04 reg iirc,wondering was it a speed van or just parked there as it was there overnight.

Too old of a van they are all quite new that are been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Everyone seems to slam on the breaks now if there is any van parked up.

Some dopes the other day kept flashing me because there was an eircom van with cherry picker pulled in up ahead.....

Too old of a van they are all quite new that are been used.

Hopefully as I passed him doing about 110km as there were trucks etc in the slow lane coming up the hill.

Van was there again this morning!

That bloody van is still in the same spot don't know whats up with it!

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »

Its 04, so not a speed van.

Parked over night, so not a speed van.

Whats the issue? :confused:

Advertisement