Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭ofcork

Brakes going on coming up the hill when people cop it parked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Quick question out of curiosity - how close can you be to the van to get snapped? Just wondering because of the following scenario:

There's a speed van usually parked up on a layby on the Tuam Road in Galway, outside McMahons/opposite the volvo dealership.

Limit is 50 kmh, outbound you can see the van before you come around the bend so you go slow (even tho you could safely do 80 or faster on that road).

The other morning i spotted the van, duly did my 50 kmh, when about 100 m from the van this old wan in an old micra behind me decided i was too slow for him (i guess - doing 50 in the 50 zone :rolleyes:), and proceeds to overtake me on the left at speed in the layby - right past the speedvan...:confused:

Just wondering if this person would have gotten a ticket? Or do you have to pass at a prescribed distance for the camera to work?

It was a very odd thing to do, left my bewildered for a good while after. Not just overtaking on the left in the layby, but so obviously in sight of that speedvan???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

galah wrote: »
    Quick question out of curiosity - how close can you be to the van to get snapped? Just wondering because of the following scenario:

There's a speed van usually parked up on a layby on the Tuam Road in Galway, outside McMahons/opposite the volvo dealership.

Limit is 50 kmh, outbound you can see the van before you come around the bend so you go slow (even tho you could safely do 80 or faster on that road).

The other morning i spotted the van, duly did my 50 kmh, when about 100 m from the van this old wan in an old micra behind me decided i was too slow for him (i guess - doing 50 in the 50 zone :rolleyes:), and proceeds to overtake me on the left at speed in the layby - right past the speedvan...:confused:

Just wondering if this person would have gotten a ticket? Or do you have to pass at a prescribed distance for the camera to work?

It was a very odd thing to do, left my bewildered for a good while after. Not just overtaking on the left in the layby, but so obviously in sight of that speedvan???

My uncle got nabbed there, funny because he's usually the slowest driver in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

98 D reg silver micra by any chance? Weird thing was that this person then went back into the normal lane, stuck behind that long line of cars in front of me also doing 50...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

There was a Garda speed van about 100 metres from from the slip road on the N3 inbound before Connolly Hospital this morning.
    I've never seen it there before, it's usually much further up.

Made it much harder to merge due to every car slamming on the brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just a query, maybe it will save someone in the future. I drive along the old N4 everyday, from the Kinnegad area through Enfield and down to Kilcock. A couple of days ago I noticed two speed camera signs, one between Kinnegad and Enfield and one between Enfield and Kilcock.

Has anyone noticed these before? Could this be a new hotspot for the speed vans or fixed cameras even?

It is an 80kph limit however I would guess the majority of drivers would be traveling closer to 100, especially in the morning so they would catch plenty at least until people wised up.

There is a small pole mounted camera resembling a CCTV camera close to Kilcock. Could this be a fixed camera? I have never seen one however I presumed they would look more boxy as in the picture in the original post. Even the newer digital cameras introduced in the UK have more of a box shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭HoopsLad1888

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Just a query, maybe it will save someone in the future. I drive along the old N4 everyday, from the Kinnegad area through Enfield and down to Kilcock. A couple of days ago I noticed two speed camera signs, one between Kinnegad and Enfield and one between Enfield and Kilcock.

Has anyone noticed these before? Could this be a new hotspot for the speed vans or fixed cameras even?

It is an 80kph limit however I would guess the majority of drivers would be traveling closer to 100, especially in the morning so they would catch plenty at least until people wised up.

There is a small pole mounted camera resembling a CCTV camera close to Kilcock. Could this be a fixed camera? I have never seen one however I presumed they would look more boxy as in the picture in the original post. Even the newer digital cameras introduced in the UK have more of a box shape.

I also drive this road every day, you would see the odd one in between clonard and kinnegead, the coyne cycles van always has me thinking it's a speed van, from Enfield to kilcock I've never seen one although there does be a guard with a hairdryer on the slip for kilcock sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think I'll be more careful in future. It was the two camera signs that made me take notice.

I'm still not sure what that camera was at Kilcock. It didn't look like a fixed camera after googling some images. I'm extra paranoid these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I wonder how long before Paschal Donohoe makes the announcement about the extra 100 or so new GoSafe zones.

I'm guessing it'll be the same day the renewal of the GoSafe contract for the next 5yrs will be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

As a calibration Eng. I would like to know the accuracy of these, they must be at least 3x better than the quoted speed eg. If they are quoting small amounts over the limit, they may not be accurate enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Rymdav2012 wrote: »
    I have a question about how the vans operate. I passed one today on N11 near Stillorgan and might have been slightly over the limit. However, there was a man sitting in the driver seat of the van. How many people operate a speed camera van, one or more? If he was in the driver seat will the van have been operating. Sneaky spot too near the stillorgan shopping centre where the road dips and you can pretty easily add 10-15km to your speed. Hope someone can answer

Did you ever get a ticket or hear anything arising from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

DanWall wrote: »
    As a calibration Eng. I would like to know the accuracy of these, they must be at least 3x better than the quoted speed eg. If they are quoting small amounts over the limit, they may not be accurate enough

Doesn't matter as the Statue does not call for calibration at all. The instrument company is called RedFlex, they operate out of Phoenix, AZ. Accuracy, depending on the make and model, is between +/- 1 to 3 km/h.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ironclaw wrote: »
    Doesn't matter as the Statue does not call for calibration at all.
    If I'm not mistaken, it actually removes any responsibility for calibration having added the line into the 2004 Act: "It is not necessary to prove that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.”,"
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/print.html#sec11

kbannon wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, it actually removes any responsibility for calibration having added the line into the 2004 Act: "It is not necessary to prove that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.”,"
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0044/print.html#sec11

Correct :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Met one tonight on a country road thats 100kmph speed limit only that there is a school on the side of the road at there is an electronic speed limit sign that you cannot see at night that it doesnt light up. I seen the van about 100 metres back and slowed down to about 45-50. But as I drove straight past it, there was a big blue flash. Anyone shed some light on this for me?

I've heard that it can flash, even if you havent been speeding but I got a fright when it did flash tonight all the same as I thought I was well below the limit when I did pass it.

@stuba, they flash every car.

The 'blue' flash you see is from the Infrared flash and how it can be perceived by the eye at dusk / dawn times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

passed a speed van this evening while doing approx 55-60ish in a 50 zone..... the wait to see if I get a fine / points begins :o

passed a speed van this evening while doing approx 55-60ish in a 50 zone..... the wait to see if I get a fine / points begins :o

They issue a ticket for 6km over in a 50/60/80, and 9km over in a 100/120 zone.

So ... it all depends on how accurate your speedo is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

mikeecho wrote: »

Not true, if it was a GoSafe van ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

That sounds about right. Posters here have been done at 56km/h and I haven't heard of anyone being done for slower than 56.

• Advertisement

Lardy wrote: »
    Not true, if it was a GoSafe van ;)

Care to elaborate

deandean wrote: »
    That sounds about right. Posters here have been done at 56km/h and I haven't heard of anyone being done for slower than 56.

If you're caught at 56kph, it wasn't a GoSafe van. ;)

If you're caught at 56kph, it wasn't a GoSafe van. ;)

I disagree

And why the wink ?

I disagree

And why the wink ?

Disagree all you want, but you're wrong. The tolerance for GoSafe is the same, regardless of the speed limit. And it is not 6kph.

Disagree all you want, but you're wrong. The tolerance for GoSafe is the same, regardless of the speed limit. And it is not 6kph.

You're a mind of information.

However misinformation is still information.

I've my sources, and over the years since gosafe started, my info has be accurate time and time again.

You're a mind of information.

However misinformation is still information.

I've my sources, and over the years since gosafe started, my info has be accurate time and time again.

I'm an operator, my info would be pretty solid. :)

I'm an operator, my info would be pretty solid. :)

Well then you know that a pic is taken off every vehicle that passes, and that info is downloaded at your base and transmitted to the gardai.

And it is them who decide the limits at which a fcpn is issued.
    Go safe do nothing but collect the data and forward it on.

Gosafe have no other input.
    Gosafe don't print the tickets
    Gosafe don't post them out
    Gosafe don't process the payments
    Gosafe don't process the points
    Gosafe don't apply for the summons
    Gosafe don't bring a prosecution before the courts.

All gosafe do is collect the data, and provide a witness in the court.

And that is factual information.

Not entirely, but good effort.

Not entirely, but good effort.

Care to elaborate then? mike's information mainly checks out on a few independent checks I've made.

On the point of every car being photographed, is every car sent or only those above the limit? I'd take issue if every single photograph is being sent.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Care to elaborate then? mike's information mainly checks out on a few independent checks I've made.

On the point of every car being photographed, is every car sent or only those above the limit? I'd take issue if every single photograph is being sent.

All the data is sent to AGS, they then sort out who gets a ticket.

AGS can use the anpr info from go safe vans to track criminals etc.
    Much like the anpr at toll roads can be used in the same way.

Advertisement