Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

mikeecho wrote: »
    All the data is sent to AGS, they then sort out who gets a ticket.

AGS can use the anpr info from go safe vans to track criminals etc.
    Much like the anpr at toll roads can be used in the same way.

GoSafe don't have ANPR! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Lardy wrote: »
    GoSafe don't have ANPR! :D

I beginning to doubt u work for them

I beginning to doubt u work for them

Do you know what ANPR is? We don't have it. Not even AGS use ANPR. It was pulled because it doesn't work...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-forced-to-pull-technology-that-detects-uninsured-drivers-1.2198863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Do you know what ANPR is? We don't have it. Not even AGS use ANPR. It was pulled because it doesn't work...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-forced-to-pull-technology-that-detects-uninsured-drivers-1.2198863
    AGS do have ANPR and use it to check for issues other than insurance. The reason they can't use it for insurance is because the insurance companies couldn't be bothered to maintain accurate databases to work from.

ANPR works when the databases are accessible and accurate.

Falcon L wrote: »
    AGS do have ANPR and use it to check for issues other than insurance. The reason they can't use it for insurance is because the insurance companies couldn't be bothered to maintain accurate databases to work from.

ANPR works when the databases are accessible and accurate.

I stand corrected. I should have said part of it was pulled. :o

• Advertisement

I stand corrected. I should have said part of it was pulled. :o

You seem to be basing your info on news reports rather than "insider" info.

I call shenanigans

I call shenanigans

:D

Call what you want, I've no need or desire to prove anything to some random stranger on the internet!

You go ahead with spreading your ignorance, though. :)

:D

Call what you want, I've no need or desire to prove anything to some random stranger on the internet!

You go ahead with spreading your ignorance, though. :)

Yeah... You've stated that you're a gosafe operator, but can't give any information, other than to say that, what others are saying is incorrect, yet can't give any specifics.

As for the anpr... Well, how do you think they get the licence plate numbers.?
    And why is every car photographed ?

I don't think you are aware of what happens with the vans, or the back end process of the system.

All an operator has to do is drive to the location, set up, and try not to fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Possibly the most frustrating type of person on the internet. Tells someone who's trying to be helpful that they're wrong but refuses to say how they are wrong or to provide the correct information. Adding literally nothing.

Jayop wrote: »
    Possibly the most frustrating type of person on the internet. Tells someone who's trying to be helpful that they're wrong but refuses to say how they are wrong or to provide the correct information. Adding literally nothing.

You're right, it is frustrating. Though not as frustrating as people spouting makey uppy information as fact. Yes, I've been purposefully vague. But do you really think I'm going to post sensitive company information to a public board? Give over.

As for still going on about ANPR... Jesus, dude, your post could not be more cringe worthy! You do understand the difference between the ANPR system, and a photograph, right?

The system takes a photograph of every vehicle, because that's how the system is set up. No conspiracy.

• Advertisement

You're right, it is frustrating. Though not as frustrating as people spouting makey uppy information as fact. Yes, I've been purposefully vague. But do you really think I'm going to post sensitive company information to a public board? Give over.

As for still going on about ANPR... Jesus, dude, your post could not be more cringe worthy! You do understand the difference between the ANPR system, and a photograph, right?

The system takes a photograph of every vehicle, because that's how the system is set up. No conspiracy.

That was my first post in here. I've never mentioned an ANPR on this site before although I do know what it is and what it does.

Anpr sw is used in the processing of the pics

Something which you obviously know nothing about.

I've never claimed to be connected to anyone, but I've access to certain reliable verified info.

Jayop wrote: »
    That was my first post in here. I've never mentioned an ANPR on this site before although I do know what it is and what it does.
    Apologies, the ANPR comment wasn't aimed at your post. I forgot to add the other posters name..

Anpr sw is used in the processing of the pics

Something which you obviously know nothing about.

I've never claimed to be connected to anyone, but I've access to certain reliable verified info.

I give up.

Far too much stupid in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Is it true that a mixture of lemon juice and wee prevents a clear picture of your number plate?

And that they have re purposed the e voting machines to ingest photos from the vans and print out little slips with the reg number?

And that the machines get an extra 30minute break on payday?

Is it true that a mixture of lemon juice and wee prevents a clear picture of your number plate?

And that they have re purposed the e voting machines to ingest photos from the vans and print out little slips with the reg number?

And that the machines get an extra 30minute break on payday?

All depends on who you ask

Far too much stupid in this thread.

I'll agree on that point

All ANPR is is an acronym for Automatic Number Plate Recognition. So unless there's someone in an office in Dublin looking at every one of the photo's from the speed vans then clearly there's some form of ANPR involved. It may not have any other purpose or have nothing in common with the one seen in Traffic Corps cars but surely somewhere along the line there's ANPR>

Nope, not a sniff. All the information is passed to Thurles.

So you're telling me that someone manually looks at the photo's to see the reg number and assigns that to the registered owner, manually??

If that's the case then it's beyond a parody of this country.

• Advertisement

There are a handful of staff in Listowel who look at every single image before they even get sent to Thurles. And yes, it is crazy!

Ah Jesus that can't be right. Feck my life but that's the stuidest thing I've ever heard.

A year one programmer in college would probably be able to automate that for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Came across a Gosafe van yesterday in a 50 zone, might have been doing about 55km, do they flash if you are over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Came across a Gosafe van yesterday in a 50 zone, might have been doing about 55km, do they flash if you are over the limit?

No. Read the very first post of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

A few days ago I was going by a speed van and think I was done by about 5km/hr, Today I was going past a very slow driver and overtook him only to be met by a garda car coming the opposite direction, I was doing 10km/hr over the limit. If I got do for the two of them that would be 6 penalty points would I be disqualified from driving as I have a provisional license. If the answer was yes, How long would that be for.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

kcera wrote: »
    A few days ago I was going by a speed van and think I was done by about 5km/hr, Today I was going past a very slow driver and overtook him only to be met by a garda car coming the opposite direction, I was doing 10km/hr over the limit. If I got do for the two of them that would be 6 penalty points would I be disqualified from driving as I have a provisional license. If the answer was yes, How long would that be for.

Thanks

Did you admit to the garda that you were over the limit?
    7 points for a disqualification for a learner permit / provisional licence.
    I think 6 months, not 100% sure.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/penalty_points_for_driving_offences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

PeteK* wrote: »
    Did you admit to the garda that you were over the limit?
    7 points for a disqualification for a learner permit / provisional licence.
    I think 6 months, not 100% sure.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/penalty_points_for_driving_offences.html

No the gardai never stopped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

kcera wrote: »

Thanks

How could it have been a very slow driver if you had to go 10km/hr over the limit to pass them. That means they must have been doing the limit or close. Can hardly be classed as 'very slow'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

SteM wrote: »
    How could it have been a very slow driver if you had to go 10km/hr over the limit to pass them. That means they must have been doing the limit or close. Can hardly be classed as 'very slow'.

Not necessarily. It's better to overtake as fast as possible then sit there overtaking at 2kmh faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

antodeco wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It's better to overtake as fast as possible then sit there overtaking at 2kmh faster

If the limit is 80km/h, and they were doing 60km/h, then you could safely over take at 70 to 80km/h. No issue. If you passed a speed van exceeding the limit to over take them, then they were likely near the limit to start with so it would be your own impatience versus an actual slow driver.

Advertisement