Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ironclaw wrote: »
    If the limit is 80km/h, and they were doing 60km/h, then you could safely over take at 70 to 80km/h. No issue. If you passed a speed van exceeding the limit to over take them, then they were likely near the limit to start with so it would be your own impatience versus an actual slow driver.

Or the typical slow driver that speeds up every time you reach a stretch of road that you can pass on only to slow down to 20/30kmph under the limit as soon as you can't pass. I'll pass that driver and I'll have to speed to do so but it doesn't mean that the other driver wasn't a slow driver.

Or the slow driver that speeds up as soon as you start overtaking them meaning you have to push the limit or slide back behind them.

Also on a 100 stretch if someone is doing 90 then it's much safer to pass as quickly as possible even if that means you have to go a little over the limit so you spend as little time as possible on the other side of the road.

There's many more reasons that impatience for passing a little over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

I passed one the other day and I was going 10k over the limit.
    There was a curtain pulled accross the back of my question is does this mean it wasn't in use

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dubcelt

Why do cops insist on setting up speed traps on the hard shoulder of motorways when there are purpose built ramps available to them. Surely this is a dangerous practice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Dubcelt wrote: »
    Why do cops insist on setting up speed traps on the hard shoulder of motorways when there are purpose built ramps available to them. Surely this is a dangerous practice ?

Only a daw would endanger themselves in such a manner and it's illegal to reverse on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Quick question,

I was driving down the Victoria Quay last night around 00:30am.
    There was an incident on the footpath at the traffic lights that lead onto Victoria Quay, bus lane and right lane were blocked by cars on hazards and only middle lane going towards N4 was passable. Car ahead of me stopped in front of one of the cars to see what is happening and I continued forward. The second I passed the traffic lights and avoiding the parked up cars I found myself on the right lane (meant to be left as I was about to take a left turn in roughly 450m). At this point doing roughly 55km/h and 100-150m into the road I started my approach into going back on the correct lane, but meanwhile a learner driver in micra who was behind me accelerated enough (not approaching at that point) to get close to my rear bumper. So in order to leave him some safety gap I have accelerated a bit before getting back into my lane for left turn.

Some of you might noticed that always in front of Guinness Factory there is lots of lorries parked up during the day and night. It was no different that night, at 250-300m mark from the traffic lights, behind one of those lorries there was a Speed Van parked up (Not sure if GoSafe or Garda). After proceeding with the maneuver I was doing roughly 70-75km/h. The Van was not visible from the distance as lorry was in front and I highly doubt that it could read my speed till the last moment. I am really aware of my surroundings and I only noticed the van after passing the lorry and it was parked up 30-40m behind it . A square red LED-looking non glowing flash appeared in the back window.

To remind you all it was 00:30am, very low traffic and no cars ahead of me. I couldn't try to "save myself" by breaking harshly as the micra was still behind me and I would risk getting rear-ended. By the time I realised what happened, I was past the van.

(I used google maps of Victoria Quay to try to get as accurate description of the situation as I could).

So my quick question is:

If I get a fine, would be there a point for me to proceed with this to court? From my observation the camera couldn't provide an accurate reading by being parked up like this. I'm not sure how they work but from the comments I read here they need at least 100m mark to make first speed read and take snap at 50m?

1. The camera doesn't understand the situation, I believe that if it was an actually Garda he/she wouldn't even pull me over.

2. Photo was taken at around 40-50 degree angle between me and the camera.

3. There is more likely more than one car in the photo. (Micra)

4. I know it is an automated system but is it possible for it to take photograph without an accurate speed reading?

Thank you for all the answers, I have been driving that road hundreds of times and first time ever having to deal with situation like this.
    It makes me sad that they have guts to catch people like that. Money making machine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

Was the rear window of the speed van pointing towards Heuston station or was it pointing towards the city centre (Guinness factory, o Connell St etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Pay the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Don't stress until you get a ticket.
    Deal with it then.
    There is no need to pay the fine and there is no need to get points.
    Post again if you get a scam-era tax ticket and I'll tell you how you can defeat the demand.

Was the rear window of the speed van pointing towards Heuston station or was it pointing towards the city centre (Guinness factory, o Connell St etc)

It was pointing towards the city centre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunately, there's unlikely to be any contest here.
    Being devil's advocate here, you sped up as you approached a speed camera van. The fact that the learner in the Micra behind you appeared to speed up and you felt the need to respond was your decision and cannot be used to challenge any ticket (or is unlikely to hold any weight if it was to be your excuse).
    The fact that you felt the need to speed up adjacent to some kind of incident on the path at a time when there was little traffic on the road suggests that you were actually reckless.
    So...
    1. irrelevant. If you were caught, it was because you were speeding. A machine cannot decide guilt, it looks at facts.
    2. And?
    3. There is likely to be two photos and the speed can be calculated by calculating the distance travelled against the time difference between the two pictures.
    4. Assume not.

Your only saving grace might be the fact that the speed van may be calibrated to catch people doing over say 80km/h. It's a long shot but until you hear from them (say a fortnight), there's no point worrying.
    It makes me sad that they have guts to catch people like that. Money making machine..
    In fairness, at 12:30 at night, there is likely to be people walking along the quays & crossing roads that are out of their heads on drink or drugs. Catching speeders along the quays is an obvious location for a camera. That's why its frequently there both day and night.
    Whatever about a camera along the side of the N4 or on a motorway, this location isn't the most unfair place to locate a speed trap!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness, at 12:30 at night, there is likely to be people walking along the quays & crossing roads that are out of their heads on drink or drugs. Catching speeders along the quays is an obvious location for a camera. That's why its frequently there both day and night.
    Whatever about a camera along the side of the N4 or on a motorway, this location isn't the most unfair place to locate a speed trap!

There is very rarely any people on that road at this time, my point was that speed camera meant to improve safety on the road. If It was not concealed and visible from the distance, anybody with common sense would double check their speed and didn't attempt such a thing as I did. That would improve safety on the road, this was purely revenue making.

And did the camera had time to take two photographs? There was only one flash. I mentioned the angle because I guess it would have some effect on the readings of my speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

And did the camera had time to take two photographs? There was only one flash. I mentioned the angle because I guess it would have some effect on the readings of my speed?

No mobile speed camera takes two photos. You are thinking of Gatso cameras, which have markings on the road to work out the speed in case there is a challenge (The primary reading is taken by radar)

A Garda or GoSafe van takes one photo and takes the speed reading with radar.

Angle has little or no effect. You're saving grace would be two cars in the same frame or very close together. The way it works is you enter the beam and then exit it, the time between these disruptions is used to calculate your speed.

Above all, you did speed up and broke the speed limit, in a notorious zone for speed cameras, so you were breaking the law. The RTA makes no provision for such law breaking unless its for due reason e.g. Making way for an emergency vehicle, avoiding an accident. And you'd want really good evidence, from your side, to fight it in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No mobile speed camera takes two photos. You are thinking of Gatso cameras, which have markings on the road to work out the speed in case there is a challenge (The primary reading is taken by radar)

A Garda or GoSafe van takes one photo and takes the speed reading with radar.

Angle has little or no effect. You're saving grace would be two cars in the same frame or very close together. The way it works is you enter the beam and then exit it, the time between these disruptions is used to calculate your speed.

Above all, you did speed up and broke the speed limit, in a notorious zone for speed cameras, so you were breaking the law. The RTA makes no provision for such law breaking unless its for due reason e.g. Making way for an emergency vehicle, avoiding an accident. And you'd want really good evidence, from your side, to fight it in court.

GoSafe radar systems were (apparently) upgraded to be dual radar (both on same freq). much better able to distinguish and the speed of multiple vehicles in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

mikeecho wrote: »
    GoSafe radar systems were (apparently) upgraded to be dual radar (both on same freq). much better able to distinguish and the speed of multiple vehicles in the pic.

True, but your case would be stronger, reasonable doubt etc. A good solicitor who knew his piece could probably get the fine dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is it true the camera only points out the rear window. Would you be done if you approached the front of the van over the limit and slowed down under the limit while passing the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm asking for a friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Is it true the camera only points out the rear window. Would you be done if you approached the front of the van over the limit and slowed down under the limit while passing the back?

True

Won't get a ticket under those circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

I passed a GoSafe van that had more external lights than normal the last night while possibly speeding. As it was on the other side of the road, dark and there was alot of cars passing on that side of the road i couldnt see clearly. I turned around to be sure what I seen was actually a GoSafe van and not breakdown assistance as I had first thought.

When I drove by I could see that the back door of the van was open and the operator looked like he was putting a cone or something like that into the van. When I turned around again to continue on my original journey the van was all dark this time with no lights etc outside.

As the rear door of the van was open at the time was open at the time is it likely I will be getting a notice in the post?

PS - I will add a reply to this post after a few weeks for the benefit of anyone else who ends up in such a situation. Hopefully with good news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

dakid wrote:
    I passed a GoSafe van that had more external lights than normal the last night while possibly speeding. As it was on the other side of the road, dark and there was alot of cars passing on that side of the road i couldnt see clearly. I turned around to be sure what I seen was actually a GoSafe van and not breakdown assistance as I had first thought.

dakid wrote:
    As the rear door of the van was open at the time was open at the time is it likely I will be getting a notice in the post?

They have to set up everytime they move to a different location . Not a 100% but I think they have to mark a distance

So if he or she was out of the van and with lights on you should be okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are any of the static cameras still working ?

M1 south Dunleer
    Old N1 balbriggan northbound
    N4 dublin-bound
    N4 red light camera
    N3 but cannot fully remember where

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    Are any of the static cameras still working ?

M1 south Dunleer
    Old N1 balbriggan northbound
    N4 dublin-bound
    N4 red light camera
    N3 but cannot fully remember where
    M1 south Dunleer is gone IIRC.
    N4 Dublin bound has been gone since the N4 upgrade many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

M1 south Dunleer is gone IIRC.

Yep, no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

You more than likely have this covered but if I am traveling towards the front of a gatso van speeding can they detect me? If that's the case and I stop before I pass the back of the van and dissappear for for a few minutes would I be OK?

On a 3 lane bypass are the cameras on all 3 lanes?

I'm sure you have covered this bit there are lots of pages on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

4 weeks today since I suspect I was caught speeding by one of the red speed vans ,no sign as yet of a ticket arriving in the post. I was at least 10km over the speed limit.

Should the ticket have arrived by now ?

Thanks

andrew1977 wrote: »
    4 weeks today since I suspect I was caught speeding by one of the red speed vans ,no sign as yet of a ticket arriving in the post. I was at least 10km over the speed limit.

Should the ticket have arrived by now ?

Thanks
    In normal situations it would have arrived and although it still could, probably won't.
    10kmh is not much assuming your speedo is not 100% accrate (and depending on the speed limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

In normal situations it would have arrived and although it still could, probably won't.
    10kmh is not much assuming your speedo is not 100% accrate (and depending on the speed limit).

Thanks a lot, dreading going in the front door for the past few weeks and checking what the post man has delivered, It was an 80 zone and when I copped the speed van (lights off on side of road), I looked at my speedometer and I seen 95-97k.
    It has actually got me watching the speed limits now , so even if the fine doesn't arrive I am more conscious of my driving now ( had 3 points already).

Fingers crossed nothing arrives, would rather the fine arrived weeks ago then the sickner if it comes at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

andrew1977 wrote:
    Thanks a lot, dreading going in the front door for the past few weeks and checking what the post man has delivered, It was an 80 zone and when I copped the speed van (lights off on side of road), I looked at my speedometer and I seen 95-97k. It has actually got me watching the speed limits now , so even if the fine doesn't arrive I am more conscious of my driving now ( had 3 points already).

Basically your speedo will reading faster and the the speed vans have a tolerance also so you shouldn't need to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Hi. Just something I wondered about. Today I approached a Go Safe van which was on the oppostite side of the road to me. So basically our headlights were facing. However I didn't pass the van because I was turning in left just before where it was parked. Once I didn't pass the van and it's rear doors am I ok or can the front take a photo as well? Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

pa990 wrote: »
    True

Won't get a ticket under those circumstances

and on the same page....
    pm. wrote: »
    You more than likely have this covered but if I am traveling towards the front of a gatso van speeding can they detect me? If that's the case and I stop before I pass the back of the van and dissappear for for a few minutes would I be OK?

On a 3 lane bypass are the cameras on all 3 lanes?

I'm sure you have covered this bit there are lots of pages on this thread
    Hi. Just something I wondered about. Today I approached a Go Safe van which was on the oppostite side of the road to me. So basically our headlights were facing. However I didn't pass the van because I was turning in left just before where it was parked. Once I didn't pass the van and it's rear doors am I ok or can the front take a photo as well? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Note: All this information is publicly available. The information given is for guidance only and should be not be used for any purpose other than information

Hi Folks,

Seeing as there is a mega thread to do with Speed Cameras, I though I would start a thread specifically to deal with what they are and how they work.

Speed Cameras in Ireland are in two groups:

Mobile and Fixed

In the Mobile category we have two distinct groups – GoSafe and An Garda Siochanna.

Mobile Van

These are the newest editions to Irish roads and look like this:

gosafe.jpg

At the rear we have this:

speedvan.jpg

Note: They arn't all so well marked! So look out for a van / jeep with an odd looking rear window.

How do they work?

In a nutshell there is a person inside viewing a camera. The camera is linked to a radar system and based on this radar system they can work out a vehicles speed. The system can work with the car going towards and away from the rear doors. They cannot work while the vehicle is in motion.

The system is made by RedFlex based in the USA.

This is what the camera looks like:

844_cop.jpg

Motoring Facts:

Can I detect this? Yes

How? You have two options.

1) The system operates on K Band Radar. As a result you can detect this radar signal with suitable equipment. Such equipment is illegal in Ireland. There is no set fine and even their importation is illegal. You have no legal right to have one on Irish soil.

2) GPS – GPS systems work by having a database full of key locations. While they are very good, they do not protect you if a van is used outside a specified zone which is HIGHLY likely. As a result they offer no real protection. They are more useful in countries where fixed cameras operate.

Mobile Tripod / Handheld

These have been on Irish roads for a long time. They look like this:
    Ultralyte1.jpg

Known as the Ultralyte they are used by the Garda and operate at 905nm laser. They are accurate to above 1000m which is more than enough to nab you. They can grab your speed faster than you can blink (and some!) They are generally used aiming at the front / rear number plate or your headlights.

The official UK Dealer: http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products_ultralyte100.htm

Can I detect this? Not Really...

How? The system uses laser light. As such it is a very intense narrow beam. You will have a hard time detecting it unless it is looking straight at you, which by then your speed will have been read.

They are very hard to detect "off axis" as you need to the laser light to bounce or reflect (i.e. Off a car in front of you) If your on your own against a laser, it will read you.

I Can Challenge on Calibration!? I wouldn't! While these guns should be calibrated every day (And the Garda in question should be asked for this info) to my knowledge there is no legal requirement to do so. You would be challenging a Garda versus the manufacturer. "IF" (and its a big IF) the gun was years out of calibration you may have case. Ask at the road side for the guns serial number and last calibration data.

Fixed Cameras

There are a few of these on Irish roads and they are known as GATSO's. Invented by a rally driver they are popular in the UK.

They look like this and are situated on the roadside:

FixedGatso.jpg

Note: Most in Ireland are grey in color and unmarked. They mainly reside on National roads.

They are a little easier to detect for two reasons:

1) They are fixed by concrete so they are unlikely to move. As a result GPS's loaded with their locations can be considered to be accurate.

2) Road Markings: GATSO's work by taking two photos of your car across a set distance measured by road markings. This is a double safety. The radar unit in the GATSO says you were speeding and the time between the shots and the distance travelled is a guaranteed.

3) The work on K Band radar. As a result you can detect this, however be warned, the radar unit is facing away from you so reception is limited. You are hoping for VERY sensitive equipment or a bounce from the car in front.

Road Markings:

gatso.jpg

They are generally much tighter together, it depends on the location and speed measurement required. They ALWAYS appear after the GATSO so if you see them too late your nabbed! Look out for them.

General Notes:

Detection of Radar is illegal and Traffic Corp know what these devices look like. Many cheap models can be detected by “Detector Detectors” so you will be caught out.

Interfering with signals (i.e. Jamming) is illegal and will result in a huge fine. Jamming radar will also land you in HUGE trouble with An Garda and ComReg.

Slow down, its cheaper!

Trapster – An invaluable tool. This works by users uploading information about police traps. It is very good but remember information is as reliable as the source. Also remember you may be the first (and last) Trapster user to pass a trap. Available on the App Store.

GPS Devices – Information is only as reliable as the source. Many commercial maps are more valuable in countries with more fixed cameras.

Take Care. Reduce Your Speed. Accidents can happen due to speed. Spend your time driving safely, not avoiding cameras.

Updates: v1.1 (Adding more information)

Questions: On thread. I will not answer any PM relating to this post except from Mods.

What is the accuracy in mph\kph ? As a ex calibration engine I do not think someone doing a small amount over is valid. To allow for statistics the camera must be at least 3 x better than the speed of the vehicle, ie. if the car is doing 6 mph the camera must be accurate to 2 mph

Advertisement