Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Falcon L wrote: »
    Yes. And both directions.

And still only manage one an hour! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

blackwhite wrote: »
    Seems to be a targeting of speed traps on the M1 this week.

Wednesday evening there was a go-safe on the Garda ramp southbound, just before J4; and again around 2pm Thursday.

Thursday morning there was a Go-Safe on northbound side, again on a garda ramp, just after the Lusk services.

Then this morning there was a marked squad car on the bridge at J6.

Van on M1 again tonight. Same spot southbound again - roughly same time as last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm seeing less and less of them out West now compared to when they first started up. I wonder have they moved them around and are targeting the cities more?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Effects wrote: »
    And still only manage one an hour! :P
    They are usually quite visible so if you get caught then you completely deserve it.
    However, as they are only catching so few per hour, this indicates that most people are slowing down - objective achieved I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Speed van on roundabout leaving M1 at J6 on Tuesday afternoon. A really sneaky spot.

• Advertisement

Zatoichi wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    vrf39s.jpg

Is it just the picture, or is the truck flashing you? (I dunno if he is or not, but i always find truckers are generally very good in regards to flashing for meaningful purposes).

In relation to people saying what lane to be in, surely the right-most lane is the safest? As you're further from the van allowing a bigger time-frame to slow, and you also have the (not in this case, obviously) traffic in the other lanes to potentially block the camera's view of you?

Is it just the picture, or is the truck flashing you? (I dunno if he is or not, but i always find truckers are generally very good in regards to flashing for meaningful purposes).

In relation to people saying what lane to be in, surely the right-most lane is the safest? As you're further from the van allowing a bigger time-frame to slow, and you also have the (not in this case, obviously) traffic in the other lanes to potentially block the camera's view of you?
    As the camera is looking from the van out to the road at an angle, it sees traffic in the lane further from it first.
    how_radar_works1.gif?width=201&height=145
    (Although the camera in this pic catches the rear of a vehicle, you should get the idea hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

No, the truck isn't flashing.

I actually saw the speed van again yesterday in the afternoon, but it was at the usually "sneaky" spot just around the bend at the Lucan bypass.

Has someone been killed on that short stretch of road, because I drive it almost every day and I've never even seen a crash on the Eastbound side, which is where the speed vans predominantly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

Zatoichi wrote: »
    No, the truck isn't flashing.

I actually saw the speed van again yesterday in the afternoon, but it was at the usually "sneaky" spot just around the bend at the Lucan bypass.

Has someone been killed on that short stretch of road, because I drive it almost every day and I've never even seen a crash on the Eastbound side, which is where the speed vans predominantly are.

Not sure if anyone has been killed but there are accidents fairly regularly around that area as there are sometimes sudden slow downs due to tailbacks at busy periods and there is always a lot of lane changing going on.

As a regular user of the road, I can say that a a large amount of people are unable to travel at no more than the posted speed limit so the speed van will hopefully (if it's there frequently enough) persuade everyone as per the rules set out. I usually travel on the road during busy periods but sometimes travel in small hours of the morning when there is not much traffic. Of course, this doesn't give me any excuse to break the limit but a high percentage feel that they can when the road is less busy and it's those people that need to caught and taught a lesson. Whether it's technically safe to drive above the posted limit is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

highdef wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has been killed but there are accidents fairly regularly around that area as there are sometimes sudden slow downs due to tailbacks at busy periods and there is always a lot of lane changing going on.

As a regular user of the road, I can say that a a large amount of people are unable to travel at no more than the posted speed limit so the speed van will hopefully (if it's there frequently enough) persuade everyone as per the rules set out. I usually travel on the road during busy periods but sometimes travel in small hours of the morning when there is not much traffic. Of course, this doesn't give me any excuse to break the limit but a high percentage feel that they can when the road is less busy and it's those people that need to caught and taught a lesson. Whether it's technically safe to drive above the posted limit is irrelevant.

I drive the m50 almost everyday too, and at busy times especially on a Friday that can be a carpark for long stretches. And yet the speed limit is 100.

289d1lj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

It's all for the money.
    Safety is not the reason.
    If safety is the reason, double the points and half the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

blackis200 wrote: »
    It's all for the money.
    Safety is not the reason.
    If safety is the reason, double the points and half the fine.

Seems to be making a loss for everyone except the contractor

http://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/speed-cameras-not-selffinancing-30422285.html

If it's all about the money, then they should double or treble the fines and scrap the points.

Bear in mind with this diagram, that the setup in Ireland, is that the radar beam is facing oncoming traffic, rather than hitting it from behind.

And also, the radar unit wont be as far off the side of the road, so the range is lessened even more so.

You can knock, 10 to 20m off the quoted ranges, depending on how far off the road the van is parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

If it's just a revenue gathering exercise, that's very sad. If it achieves the objective of cars slowing down, in dangerous blackspots, then great.

Candlewick wrote: »
    If it's just a revenue gathering exercise, that's very sad. If it achieves the objective of cars slowing down, in dangerous blackspots, then great.

The only people making money are spetra photo and spec savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wexfordwolves

I spotted camera van this morning at approximately 100m. I was doing 120 in the 100 zone, in the right hand lane of dual carriageway with a van on the left hand side. I then slowed down quickly and hid behind the van whilst passing the speed camera van at 100. Do you think I will get a fine? I am unsure when the picture is taken?

I spotted camera van this morning at approximately 100m. I was doing 120 in the 100 zone, in the right hand lane of dual carriageway with a van on the left hand side. I then slowed down quickly and hid behind the van whilst passing the speed camera van at 100. Do you think I will get a fine? I am unsure when the picture is taken?

Hard to tell, without having a video of the event, or having been there at the time.

You just have to wait two weeks, and see if the mailman brings you a present

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

mikeecho wrote: »
    Hard to tell, without having a video of the event, or having been there at the time.

You just have to wait two weeks, and see if the mailman brings you a present

This is why I changed from a car to a motorbike, less hassle and worry about getting stung.

Thanks..Santy can keep those types of prezzies to himself 😀

When do the vans actually take the picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

If it said 120 on the speedo, you were probably doing a little over 110 so you would be likely to get that present in the post. Even if you don't, hopefully it will be a lesson to you to cop on and obey the rules of the road. Obey those rules and you should never have to worry about getting caught out for being in wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

highdef wrote: »
    If it said 120 on the speedo, you were probably doing a little over 110 so you would be likely to get that present in the post. Even if you don't, hopefully it will be a lesson to you to cop on and obey the rules of the road. Obey those rules and you should never have to worry about getting caught out for being in wrong.

Or buy a motorbike.

When do the vans actually take the picture?

Look back a few posts.

Jeeze... I'm getting sick of repeating myself

Are you sure it's 2 weeks? I read somewhere that you can wait for up to 6 months before being out of the woods?

Are you sure it's 2 weeks? I read somewhere that you can wait for up to 6 months before being out of the woods?

For the camera, it's usually processed within 2 weeks.
    If a garda stops you, he has up to 6 months (less 56 days ) to commence proceedings

The only people making money are spetra photo and spec savers.
    Spectra Photo and SpecSavers are two unrelated companies.
    The cameras are operated by GoSafe, a consortium comprised of Redflex Holdings, Xavier McAuliffe’s Spectra and a French company, Egis. Spectra and Egis each own 42 per cent of GoSafe.

kbannon wrote: »
    Spectra Photo and SpecSavers are two unrelated companies.
    The cameras are operated by GoSafe, a consortium comprised of Redflex Holdings, Xavier McAuliffe’s Spectra and a French company, Egis. Spectra and Egis each own 42 per cent of GoSafe.

Yeah... ummm... specsavers... as in, if you can't see the van then you should go to.

For the camera, it's usually processed within 2 weeks.
    If a garda stops you, he has up to 6 months (less 56 days ) to commence proceedings

What if a Garda doesn't stop you but just has a camera or speed gun and you have no idea whether or not you were exceeding the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

What if a Garda doesn't stop you but just has a camera or speed gun and you have no idea whether or not you were exceeding the speed limit?

It's been covered a few dozen times on the thread at this stage.

Vans have cameras and don't need to stop you. Garda with a handheld will always pull you over.
    There used be only 2 non-van cameras in the country - and I'm fairly sure neither are operational any more. Even then, they weren't suitable for a Garda to use whilst sitting in his car, he needed to be outside with it on a tripod.

You've more chance of winning the Lotto twice in a week than getting a fine in the post from a Garda doing a speedcheck in a regular squad car who didn't pull you over.

• Advertisement

The Gardai don't have hand held cameras.
    (They used to have cameras attached to lti 2020 laser guns, but these are no longer used)

So either a garda stops you and takes your details, or a speed van takes your photo and sends you a nice letter.

Advertisement