Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

mikeecho wrote: »
    The Gardai don't have hand held cameras.
    (They used to have cameras attached to lti 2020 laser guns, but these are no longer used)

So either a garda stops you and takes your details, or a speed van takes your photo and sends you a nice letter.
    That clarifies that then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

kbannon wrote: »
    They are usually quite visible so if you get caught then you completely deserve it.
    However, as they are only catching so few per hour, this indicates that most people are slowing down - objective achieved I guess.

That or they're after getting better at spotting them now that they have been out on the roads so long and are slowing down for the van and then speeding up again once past it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭mikeecho

D_murph wrote: »
    That or they're after getting better at spotting them now that they have been out on the roads so long and are slowing down for the van and then speeding up again once past it :pac:

Those stats of one per hour were from 2010.

The detection rate is probably a lot less now, since most people know the usual haunts of the speed van on their daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Those stats of one per hour were from 2010.

The detection rate is probably a lot less now, since most people know the usual haunts of the speed van on their daily commute.

Which is why we need more speed detection in other areas. I think it's ridiculous that there is a public website to tell you were you are most likely to see any speed cameras. You can then decide that areas not covered are places you can more likely get away with speeding without being caught. Obviously you can still be done but the chances are very slim.

I still can't believe the mentality of so many people in this country where speeding is almost seen as a right. Instead of just following the rules, they think it's ok to speed as they please and to try avoid getting caught rather than just making life better for everyone (quite literally) by sticking to the rules laid out to us all. If we all drove by the rules of the road, road deaths and injuries would be so much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

highdef wrote: »
    Which is why we need more speed detection in other areas. I think it's ridiculous that there is a public website to tell you were you are most likely to see any speed cameras. You can then decide that areas not covered are places you can more likely get away with speeding without being caught. Obviously you can still be done but the chances are very slim.

I still can't believe the mentality of so many people in this country where speeding is almost seen as a right. Instead of just following the rules, they think it's ok to speed as they please and to try avoid getting caught rather than just making life better for everyone (quite literally) by sticking to the rules laid out to us all. If we all drove by the rules of the road, road deaths and injuries would be so much lower.
    But, it's not that simple.

I lived in Spain for many years, where the speed limits pretty much suit the circumstances. The speed is lowered where it needs to be because of the road conditions. Near where I live, there is a lane with grass up the middle and twisty as fook. It comes off a nice straight, wide section of road. The lane is 80kph and the nice straight bit is 50kph.

We have sections of perfect, wide dual carriageway that are 60kph. I was in the UK last week, driving on similar dual carriageway roads where 113kph (70mph) is the limit.

We have roads that are perfectly ok for 100kph... until the motorway takes a load of the traffic off it, then it seemingly becomes a deathtrap and must be lowered to 80kph

If our speed limits were more representative of the actual road conditions, it think they would be respected more. Saying that a road is a certain speed limit because it is a N road, or an R or L road, is simply lazy.

Don't start me on 30kph speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Falcon L wrote: »

Should also add, Speed is not a factor in the majority of accidents. In fact, its a single percentage of accidents. Road deaths and injuries would be reduced if we educated people and enforced the already existing rules.

Take for example on the M50, lane jumping. Hell or high water, everyone wants to be in lane 2 as soon as they merge. Thats far more dangerous than someone doing 200km/h down the M4. But yet, without fail, every morning, I'm subjected to it.

I could go on but people should realise a modern car is well capable of doing a fair rate of knots, its the person at the wheel that determines the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Funny how in the first few posts it's mentioned that a speed van wouldn't operate on a 3 lane carriageway. There was one on the N7 last Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Funny how in the first few posts it's mentioned that a speed van wouldn't operate on a 3 lane carriageway. There was one on the N7 last Thursday!

Just on the hard shoulder or was there some sort of layby?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Gardai don't have hand held cameras.
    (They used to have cameras attached to lti 2020 laser guns, but these are no longer used)

So either a garda stops you and takes your details, or a speed van takes your photo and sends you a nice letter.

I saw a Garda on the Motorway coming into Cork with a handheld camera, this was during Paddy's weekend

siblers wrote: »
    I saw a Garda on the Motorway coming into Cork with a handheld camera, this was during Paddy's weekend

That was a laser gun.
    No camera attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

highdef wrote: »
    Just on the hard shoulder or was there some sort of layby?

On the hard shoulder I think as you're coming into Dublin.

They didnt, but they do now, since their radar system was upgraded to "Dual Radar"

Its better able to distinguish across multiple lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Candlewick wrote: »
    If it's just a revenue gathering exercise, that's very sad. If it achieves the objective of cars slowing down, in dangerous blackspots, then great.

I have an even more cynical take on the whole operation. I think it has more to do with stats where the more people they catch the more they can point to these stats and say that they are making the roads "safer".

Another example of this could be the current controversy about breath tests where it could be argued that stats showing increased numbers for breath tests will also demonstrate that the roads are being made "safer".

The majority of speed traps I see are located in places where a speed limit changes and they target those that don't slow down fast enough. Great for stats but how many serious accidents happen in these type of areas???

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

D_murph wrote: »

That's exactly what I do
    And after passing the hazardous/dangerous area, I falsh every vehicle I meet travelling towards the danger area to warn drivers of danger ahead. This is effective at slowing other drivers down too as I see lots of brake lights ignite once they see my warning.

I'm only doing my bit for road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It would be nice if the speed vans went on strike instead of the buses

DanWall wrote: »
    It would be nice if the speed vans went on strike instead of the buses

Pretty unlikely given their guaranteed profit making 'tender' set up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

This thread is a great source of information!

On February 28th I thought I may have caught by one of the Garda marked vans by Connolly hospital. It was late at night and I was in the outside lane overtaking a truck. Speed limit there is 80km/h. I had to speed up, but only marginally over 80, 90 max, as I needed to get past the truck and back into the middle lane - as soon as I got about a car length in front of the truck I spotted a van in the distance - tucked away in a dark spot - I quick-slapped on the brakes just to be sure. Nothing in the post yet...are the lead time on these letters around 2 or 3 weeks?

Veloce wrote: »
    This thread is a great source of information!

On February 28th I thought I may have caught by one of the Garda marked vans by Connolly hospital. It was late at night and I was in the outside lane overtaking a truck. Speed limit there is 80km/h. I had to speed up, but only marginally over 80, 90 max, as I needed to get past the truck and back into the middle lane - as soon as I got about a car length in front of the truck I spotted a van in the distance - tucked away in a dark spot - I quick-slapped on the brakes just to be sure. Nothing in the post yet...are the lead time on these letters around 2 or 3 weeks?

If you haven't heard by now, you never will.

The vans have a very short range.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Just wondering what the story is with the on board cameras in unmarked/marked garda cars. I know they can catch for speed, insurance tax etc via ANPR. But my question is does anyone know how they catch for speed. My mate thinks they catch cars travelling either in front or or behind the garda car. But Lets say if one of those cars were pulled in stopped and a car over the speed limit (not necessarily me:D) drove past them. can they catch?, if so would they pull you over or can they send it via the post etc, or do they have to pull u over?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lamb stew wrote: »
    Just wondering what the story is with the on board cameras in unmarked/marked garda cars. I know they can catch for speed, insurance tax etc via ANPR. But my question is does anyone know how they catch for speed. My mate thinks they catch cars travelling either in front or or behind the garda car. But Lets say if one of those cars were pulled in stopped and a car over the speed limit (not necessarily me:D) drove past them. can they catch?, if so would they pull you over or can they send it via the post etc, or do they have to pull u over?

You can be caught going away from or coming towards.

They will pull you over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭ofcork

I know this has been asked before but a garda with a handheld speed gun must pull you over there and then,one leaning over an unmarked white Mondeo coming towards the viaduct in cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

ofcork wrote: »
    I know this has been asked before but a garda with a handheld speed gun must pull you over there and then,one leaning over an unmarked white Mondeo coming towards the viaduct in cork today.

They were already there last weekend. Looking at previous posts on this thread, garda need to pull you over. If not, then you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah its a sneaky spot coming from the west towards the city you would be moving on and suddenly you are on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Saw one last night on the M7 outbound just beyond Naas, but it was backed halfway up the Garda ramp which struck me as odd. Would they even get a reading from that angle?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Saw one last night on the M7 outbound just beyond Naas, but it was backed halfway up the Garda ramp which struck me as odd. Would they even get a reading from that angle?

It would, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bit9

Anyone know if a Go Safe van positioned on hard shoulder of N7 / Naas dual carriageway northbound targets traffic on the southbound side of the carriageway as well or would it be concerned only with northbound traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ironclaw wrote: »
    It would, yes.

Interesting.. but the takeaway from this thread really is that, AGS or GoSafe regardless, you practically have to be on top of them (<100m) to be done?

They've been all over the N7 this week... GoSafe twice, AGS van last night outbound

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bit9 wrote: »
    Anyone know if a Go Safe van positioned on hard shoulder of N7 / Naas dual carriageway northbound targets traffic on the southbound side of the carriageway as well or would it be concerned only with northbound traffic?

They would be targeting the side they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

coL wrote: »
    I have an even more cynical take on the whole operation. I think it has more to do with stats where the more people they catch the more they can point to these stats and say that they are making the roads "safer".

Another example of this could be the current controversy about breath tests where it could be argued that stats showing increased numbers for breath tests will also demonstrate that the roads are being made "safer".

The majority of speed traps I see are located in places where a speed limit changes and they target those that don't slow down fast enough. Great for stats but how many serious accidents happen in these type of areas???

People would have more respect if they caught the real speeders instead of using deception and nasty tricks to catch them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

You can be caught going away from or coming towards.

They will pull you over.

Are you sure that they have to pull you over?

Advertisement