Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

blackis200 wrote: »
    Operator does nothing. Fully automatic after set up.

Good I always stick my finger up at them and laugh uncontrollably. While cruising extra slow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

steo_magra wrote: »
    Question,
    If you weren’t speeding but the guy in the van knew your car could he do you for speeding even if you weren’t ? I’m just curious. Can they give purpously false readings or is it all automated ?

Conspiracy Theory.? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Riva10 wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theory.? ;)

All on auto. If they notice their camera catch a friend there's nothing they can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Old Perry wrote: »
    All on auto. If they notice their camera catch a friend there's nothing they can do.

They HAVE Friends? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I was overtaking a transit van last week in an overtaking lane uphill.

He accelerated when I went to overtake him, and I got stuck outside him as the overtaking lane finished, merged and became double white lines, but I was right beside him at this stage and hesitated for a second, as I dropped back, I saw a speed van on the left, the far side of the transit.

The van would have seen me about 10 m back, maybe 5m , from my side view only, as the van blocked its view of me.

Just wondering would it have snapped my rear plate from its front windscreen as I went past, as Im sure it couldn't see across two lanes wide at a distance of 10 m away coming up behind it? Or could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭mikeecho

AidenL wrote: »
    I was overtaking a transit van last week in an overtaking lane uphill.

He accelerated when I went to overtake him, and I got stuck outside him as the overtaking lane finished, merged and became double white lines, but I was right beside him at this stage and hesitated for a second, as I dropped back, I saw a speed van on the left, the far side of the transit.

The van would have seen me about 10 m back, maybe 5m , from my side view only, as the van blocked its view of me.

Just wondering would it have snapped my rear plate from its front windscreen as I went past, as Im sure it couldn't see across two lanes wide at a distance of 10 m away coming up behind it? Or could it?

Try reading page 1

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

mikeecho wrote: »
    Try reading page 1

I did before I posted, no answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Speed detection and photo shooting equipment is located only at rear of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

mikeecho wrote: »
    Try reading page 1

You'll get away with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Coming back from the Cork City match to Tralee Friday night travelling along the long stretch with 2 fast lanes either side, on the outskirts of Maccroom.

Fine long stretch of clear road, no cars in front of me, behind me or approaching me. Cruising along doing about 112km p/h then bang. See the c*nt to my left as I passed, just barely seen I might add. You’d spot a dog on the road quicker & easier.

Now I’ve accepted I have been caught, end of the day I was going over the 100km p/h limit & that’s my own fault. My grievance is what the actual fcuk is he doing on that road? One of the best surfaces in the country. Straight. Fast lane. No turn offs or slip roads. Can’t imagine being a hot spot for accidents. Makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement

gstack166 wrote: »
    Coming back from the Cork City match to Tralee Friday night travelling along the long stretch with 2 fast lanes either side, on the outskirts of Maccroom.

Fine long stretch of clear road, no cars in front of me, behind me or approaching me. Cruising along doing about 112km p/h then bang. See the c*nt to my left as I passed, just barely seen I might add. You’d spot a dog on the road quicker & easier.

Now I’ve accepted I have been caught, end of the day I was going over the 100km p/h limit & that’s my own fault. My grievance is what the actual fcuk is he doing on that road? One of the best surfaces in the country. Straight. Fast lane. No turn offs or slip roads. Can’t imagine being a hot spot for accidents. Makes my blood boil.

It's not about safety.
    It's about collecting money from easy sources, motorists being easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

I hate that money collecting bs arguement, a person commits an offence, they get caught and get fined, simple as. People make conscious decisions to speed. No one makes them. When they get caught then tough, everyone knows where these vans are, they are advertised and publicised for your convenience. The “money making” argument could be attributed to any road traffic fine if you wished, sure why should any offences be enforced.

Lmklad wrote: »
    I hate that money collecting bs arguement, a person commits an offence, they get caught and get fined, simple as. People make conscious decisions to speed. No one makes them. When they get caught then tough, everyone knows where these vans are, they are advertised and publicised for your convenience. The “money making” argument could be attributed to any road traffic fine if you wished, sure why should any offences be enforced.

That’s where you’re wrong. If everyone knew where they were no one would get caught would they? Unless your a thrill seeker bordering on the limit constantly or just love paying fines.

The argument about money making is valid. Why aren’t they ever within 50 metres of a bad bend on the road? Surely a accident black spot especially in bad weather? They are never there, why? Because who speeds going around bends?

The vans are placed where people speed. Each location is advertised and sign posted. The object is to stop speeding. Why put them where no one speeds? Guaranteed if you get caught speeding at a certain spot you will slow down at that spot next time you pass.

Comedian. Hahaha.

It's revenue raising, nothing else.
    There is no evidence of a life being saved by this revenue raising.

Comedian. Hahaha.

It's revenue raising, nothing else.
    There is no evidence of a life being saved by this revenue raising.

Find me an example of where a life was lost within sight of a camera? “No evidence of a life being saved” is a silly arguement.

Having been to two fatal, three serious and half a dozen minor collisions on one particular stretch of road I am more than happy to smile when I see the gosafe van there.

The vans are placed where people speed. Each location is advertised and sign posted. The object is to stop speeding. Why put them where no one speeds? Guaranteed if you get caught speeding at a certain spot you will slow down at that spot next time you pass.

The vans are for collecting revenue.

If it was a safety issue, there would be police watching for offences and deal with offences accordingly.

Your guarantee isn't worth jack S**t.

The stated intended purpose of the cameras was to be placed in accidental black spots with a history of deaths.

90% of these vans are placed on roads with no history of deaths by crash. There’s a van placed outside the pharmacy in Farranfore Co.Kerry in the middle of the village & im unaware of any deaths having occurred there.

If someone didn’t know better they would think it’s placed there solely on the purpose it’s a main road into the tourist/stag/hen hotspot to Killarney which would be a unfamiliar road to most who drive it.

Find me an example of where a life was lost within sight of a camera? “No evidence of a life being saved” is a silly arguement.

Having been to two fatal, three serious and half a dozen minor collisions on one particular stretch of road I am more than happy to smile when I see the gosafe van there.

Now you are just being irritating.
    If there is a road that is so bad, you have to keep going out to pick up bodies, I'd say there is something wrong with the road.
    Putting a revenue van there doesn't seem to have saved anybody.
    The road should be fixed and made safe.

The road is a dual carriageway. You’re assumption is incorrect as there hasn’t been a fatal or serious injury since the vans appeared. There have been some minor collisions, but not when the camera is there.

For those spouting the “revenue” mantra, I say take action instead of keyboard warrioring it. Deny the pesky government the revenue by doing one cost free thing. Abide by the limits. Strange how that works every time! ;)

• Advertisement

The road is a dual carriageway. You’re assumption is incorrect as there hasn’t been a fatal or serious injury since the vans appeared. There have been some minor collisions, but not when the camera is there.

For those spouting the “revenue” mantra, I say take action instead of keyboard warrioring it. Deny the pesky government the revenue by doing one cost free thing. Abide by the limits. Strange how that works every time! ;)

If you read my oringinal post, ive no problem with the fine for speeding. I clearly stated I broke the limit & that’s my own fault.

My grievance is with the position of the van on that road, it serves no purpose other to bring in money. It’s a quiet road at night time & with it being a near 4 mile straight stretch of road, your like a sitting duck at night time if you take your eyes off your speed limit.

Surely you can’t deny the fact it’s easy to lose concentration of your speed if you are travelling a long open stretch of clear road with no traffic coming against or behind you.

For those who continually support mega revenue raising by pretence, you'll continue to pick bodies off the ground.
    You are NOT fixing anything with revenue raising vans.
    There is a better chance of reducing road fatalities if gardai get off their asses and get visable on the roads. If they stop pretending to do the work and do half of what they pretend to do, there is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So what if they are there to raise revenue? If everybody is aware that there’s an optional heavy-right-foot tax, and don’t take measures to avoid incurring it, where’s the issue?

endacl wrote: »
    So what if they are there to raise revenue? If everybody is aware that there’s an optional heavy-right-foot tax, and don’t take measures to avoid incurring it, where’s the issue?

If that's what it is and everybody knows it, why pretend it's about safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If that's what it is and everybody knows it, why pretend it's about safety?
    Dunno. I didn’t come up with the idea.

endacl wrote: »

Smfh. So what? The purpose is to save lives. Fronting a money making scheme as a life saving intentional programme would be absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

UK statistics show that speeding is 5th down the list of principal causes of fatal accidents. And no, Ireland is not special or different.

If reducing road fatalities was really a concern, most road safety policing would be aimed at the 4 more serious causes of fatalities. That is clearly not the case, ergo, the massive imbalance in policing aimed at speed is either revenue raising or just ignorant stupidity.

I think the latter is most likely.

cnocbui wrote: »
    UK statistics show that speeding is 5th down the list of principal causes of fatal accidents. And no, Ireland is not special or different.

If reducing road fatalities was really a concern, most road safety policing would be aimed at the 4 more serious causes of fatalities. That is clearly not the case, ergo, the massive imbalance in policing aimed at speed is either revenue raising or just ignorant stupidity.

I think the latter is most likely.

You can drive past a revenue van undetected whilst:
    Impaired, unlicensed wearing no seatbelt.
    In a stolen vehicle that is untaxed, uninsured, unroadworthy.
    Carrying dangerous or illegal goods.
    Stay under the speed limit and it'll be grand and safe.

There is no offence committed until you are caught.
    It the case of revenue vans, operated by a private company, an alleged offence is reported to authorities who then make a demand for a payment. This is done for profit.
    No lives lost. No injuries. Plenty of money demanded.
    That's revenue raising.
    Here endeth your lesson in "safety".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The camera vans are part of an overall programme to reduce road fatalities.
    Given that the number of road fatalities is declining, I'd say that the programme is working.
    Also as each fatality apparently costs over €1m, we're saving quite a bit there!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_road_traffic_accidents_deaths_in_Republic_of_Ireland_by_year

Advertisement