Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

<Don't ask about illegal stuff/products>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Good news for the van drivers , hopefully they will get a union and good working conditions with ventilation ,Heathing for winter and some air conditioning for Summer.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/speed-camera-firm-urged-to-recognise-unions-896665.html

I don't because it will increase operating costs and the next tender will be doubled. We'll all pay for what is already an absolute gravy train of cash for a private company.

It's an unpopular opinion (sorry in advance) but the job isn't exactly a mystery or mis-sold. Your being paid to sit in a van. It's going to get hot, it's going to get cold and you're on the side of a random road in Ireland for hours. It's not exactly an attractive job and I fail to see how a union can improve that. It's a sure fire way to be automated out of the job as fixed cameras, even if only placed for a year in a location, or better ANPR in Garda cars, would be cheaper than dealing with unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭kirving

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't because it will increase operating costs and the next tender will be doubled. We'll all pay for what is already an absolute gravy train of cash for a private company.

I don't see that as a valid objection to unions though. The government are more than capable of negotiating an excellent deal while maintaining excellent working conditions - they just have no interest in doing so as they're friends with the people running the companies.

Just look at the Broadband Scheme and the multinationals with a bit of sense who pulled out of bidding. They all could see where it was going, and then Denis Naughten had to resign.

In 2012, GoSafe made profits of €50k per week, which in my opinion is way beyond acceptable for a government contract, as there's basically zero risk of them failing to be paid.

They've now gone Unlimited, as the dogs on the street would be protesting about the level of profit they must now be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mikeecho wrote: »
    Just to put the range of these speed vans to bed.
    Have a look at this video.
    At 48seconds you can see the Infra Red flash from the roof of the van.
    That's how close you have to be before your speed/pic

It looked like he was only a few feet from it before the light went off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It looked like he was only a few feet from it before the light went off

That's why I've no sympathy for anyone caught by a GoSafe van.

If you're that inattention you shouldn't be driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Just to put the range of these speed vans to bed.
    Have a look at this video.
    At 48seconds you can see the Infra Red flash from the roof of the van.
    That's how close you have to be before your speed/pic

What device is giving you the heads up? o.O

Miike wrote: »
    What device is giving you the heads up? o.O

It's a legal custom made GPS programme

The beeping is from a not so legal V1

I don't see that as a valid objection to unions though. The government are more than capable of negotiating an excellent deal while maintaining excellent working conditions - they just have no interest in doing so as they're friends with the people running the companies.

Apologises, I should have been clearer. I have no objection to the concept or implementation of unions, my objection to a union in this context is as you have outlined above i.e. Zero competition, Jobs for the lads, usual brown envelopes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I actually don't use either device for the past 18 months.
    Too many beeps from the V1 ( too many cars have adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring. they all use k band radar)

And driving the same routes over and over, I know where to expect gosafe vans.

Technology is great, but it's no substitute for common sense and a good pair of eyes.

I offered my sw to a company a few years ago when GoSafe first set up, and they were willing to use it, but we're not interested giving anything in return.

I declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Do these vans have cameras at the front now as well? Heard this the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Do these vans have cameras at the front now as well? Heard this the other day.

Not for detection, but for security in case of attack on the vehicle and occupant.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I was driving tonight along the N4 with cruise control on set at the limit. Saw one of the vans with an orange light/beacon, as I passed, flash. I was coming over a hill so he was out of sight until you hit the top of the hill, so maybe it was already flashing prior to me hitting the top of the hill. Does anyone know what that’s for? I know I was doing the limit, but is something I’ve not seen before.

ddarcy wrote: »
    I was driving tonight along the N4 with cruise control on set at the limit. Saw one of the vans with an orange light/beacon, as I passed, flash. I was coming over a hill so he was out of sight until you hit the top of the hill, so maybe it was already flashing prior to me hitting the top of the hill. Does anyone know what that’s for? I know I was doing the limit, but is something I’ve not seen before.

I'm pretty sure that your query has been answered a few pages back.

And also answered a few pages back from that.. and answered a few times previous to that.

Try pg1. And go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

I'm pretty sure that your query has been answered a few pages back.

And also answered a few pages back from that.. and answered a few times previous to that.

Try pg1. And go from there
    Not at all helpful. You diminish the integrity of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

blackis200 wrote: »
    Not at all helpful. You diminish the integrity of the forum.

when people ask the same question over & over again besides just using the search this Thread function they would easy find the answer to the question

Search the thread isn't available on the Mobile legacy site.

ironclaw wrote: »
    The beacon, anecdotally as I've nor has anyone I trust ever seen it, is most likely for safety. An unlit, pretty un-reflective van on some of our roads is a danger to the person it (Ironic and all as that is)

While I can't outright dismiss the 'red laser' you saw, it certainly plays no part in the speed detection. The system is radar based with infrared flash. Some people are more sensitive than others to the flash, which you will see as a lamp to the top left of the rear doors. There is no red laser on or part of the van. The best explanation I can give is most likely again a red warning beacon / light strip, possibly LED based hence the intensity of the light you observed. The vans have been known to illuminate, reported as orange and now red with yourself, as cars approach again most likely for safety.

Here's the answer you were after :)

Here's the answer you were after :)

How and where did you manage to find that information.. it must have been really hard :rolleyes:

How and where did you manage to find that information.. it must have been really hard :rolleyes:

Sometimes people don't fully understand how to use some aspects of the website or like mentioned not available on some formats (which I'm a victim of myself, on other websites). It's just easier to point people in the right direction, as has often been done for me :)

Sometimes people don't fully understand how to use some aspects of the website or like mentioned not available on some formats (which I'm a victim of myself, on other websites). It's just easier to point people in the right direction, as has often been done for me :)

i know but there is a limit though u get people who are just too lazy to look for it just ask you again although it is only after being ans a few Questions ago. if they were a newbie thats okay.

• Advertisement

i know but there is a limit though u get people who are just too lazy to look for it just ask you again although it is only after being ans a few Questions ago. if they were a newbie thats okay.

Also very true I guess! :pac:
    Ah well - Tis sorted now, hopefully.

While I'm here... Does anyone have any idea on why there's a flashing amber light on the back of some speed vans?

Also very true I guess! :pac:
    Ah well - Tis sorted now, hopefully.

While I'm here... Does anyone have any idea on why there's a flashing amber light on the back of some speed vans?

Probably an indicator.. could you be more specific.. was it on the left or right.

Probably an indicator.. could you be more specific.. was it on the left or right.

In the middle :eek:

It was ur man wearing one of these
    1180.jpg

It was ur man wearing one of these
    1180.jpg

6a00d83452d6c969e20163027aadbb970d-pi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Folks, any idea of how long before you get a letter in the post after passing a Gosafe van? It's been asked a few times but not answered from what I've read.

Unfortunately I can't screen grab or share from my phone but I've seen a picture on Facebook of a white 131 ky Mondeo estate taken from a lorry sitting behind it.
    It has a reflective yellow stripe on the bumper and two pretty small speed camera signs and a red dot on the rear. The poster claims it's a new speed van. Anyone know if it's possible?

flazio wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't screen grab or share from my phone but I've seen a picture on Facebook of a white 131 ky Mondeo estate taken from a lorry sitting behind it.
    It has a reflective yellow stripe on the bumper and two pretty small speed camera signs and a red dot on the rear. The poster claims it's a new speed van. Anyone know if it's possible?

Is it possible, yes.

It is likely? No.

I'm taking a wild guess here that it's a supervisor/run around car. The KY reg would link it to GoSafe as they have a base in Kerry, most companies choose white base-spec cars and the signage would brand it should it ever be needed for a photo-op etc.

ITS NOT A SPEED VAN ITS A 1ST RESPONDER PARAMEDIC
    488058.jpg

• Advertisement

That's the photo exactly.
    Glad that's cleared up.

Advertisement