Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAMPING/DOGS

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can anyone give me tips on lamping? I've been out with my lurcher a couple of times now and we've had about 8 chases on rabbits but to no joy. Whats best way of approaching then with lamp or any other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

where are you from and what way are you approaching the rabbit does the dog actually want to catch it ie. has it did so before. are you sure the dog doesnt imagine its just a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Best way I find is to bring it out with an experienced dog. Nothing beats a practical demo to get them going, then before you know it they'll be following the light as you scan around and seeing rabbits even you dont !!

Obviously you want to approach down wind, preferably on a windy night. Ground doesnt want to be too heavy as it slows the dog right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

A young dog wont know what it has to do. So keep it on some form of 'slip lead'. Pick a windy, dark night. Walk facing into the wind and spot a rabbit squatting. Walk fast, up to the rabbit, encouraging the dog as you go. Though you've seen the rabbit the dog mightn't have, so don't slip till it moves and the dog has actually spotted it. A couple of them, and the dog will start to watch where the lamp is shining. Keep on the 'slip' all this time. A few more and the dog will begin to trust you and you can let it move ahead once it is activly seeking in the beam of the light. What part of country are you in? Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

tfox wrote: »
    Best way I find is to bring it out with an experienced dog. Nothing beats a practical demo to get them going, then before you know it they'll be following the light as you scan around and seeing rabbits even you dont !!

Obviously you want to approach down wind, preferably on a windy night. Ground doesnt want to be too heavy as it slows the dog right down.

Excellent advice, i used to bring my pups out with an experienced dog for months and not let them of the lead, this will cause them to get excited but keep them on the lead, the pups would watch the older dog and pick it up what exactly we were out there for:D Also i found if when it is time to let the dog have its first go on the rabbit send the older dog out first and if the rabbit is near you or your dog, slip the pup off for a go at it.

Also the worst thing you do is let the dog run a rabbit were it has no chance of catching it, personally i think the dog gives up trying after a while! If your sure that it could possible catch the rabbit then go ahead.......

But the main point is that it you have to be confident that your dog can catch the rabbit if not- Best ADVICE is if there is a GAA or soccer pitch near you 9 times out of 10 there will be alot of rabbits, also the pitches are closed in so theres not much ways for the rabbits to escape thus giving your dog confidence when it catches its first rabbit. * Another point on his first catch let the dog eat the rabbit......Im not sure if the blood or the treat but i found that eggs them on in future

Advertisement