Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage recipes

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I was hoping I could get some suggestions on quick and tasty ways of cooking cabbage. I'm afraid I have bad memories of boiled, farty-smelling cabbage as a kid that I want to try over-come. How do you cook your cabbage? What are the difference between the varieties? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I quite often stirfry cabbage, try that with carraway seed - some types of brassica like pak choi are better to stirfry, but savoy types well shredded do the same thing.
    A quick steam in a metal colander over other veg like spuds also can be very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I love cabbage finely shreaded, White pepper quickly fried with butter.

Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Fried with garlic and bacon lardons... yumm

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

shred/finely slice and splash of water, pinch of salt and in pot with tight lid for few mins.... BARELY cook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

That sounds lovely, never thought of frying it.

Does anyone else like it boiled the old fart smelling way? Bit of butter melting on top, bit of salt. Heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

One of the nicest cabbage dishes I have ever had was a kind of Hungarian "lasagne", for want of a better word... I can't remember exactly what it was called in Hungarian.

Get a savoy cabbage and simmer it in a pot of water. It probably won't all fit under the water so turn it upside-down after ten minutes and do the other side for a further ten minutes. You want the leaves to tenderise enough so that they will lie flat when you're assembling it. De-leaf the cabbage and cut out the thick middle strand (or whatever it's called) of each leaf.

At the same time brown off some minced beef and add some tomato puree, paprika and seasoning. Add enough puree so that it is nicely moist, but not runny. If you have smoked paprika, all the better. A dash of cayenne or other hot pepper powder would also not go amiss either.

Layer the components as you would lasagne in a baking dish... beef, cabbage instead of the lasagne sheets and sour cream instead of white Bechamel sauce.

Repeat the layering two or three times and then top with grated cheese and bake as you would a lasagne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

One of the nicest cabbage dishes I have ever had was a kind of Hungarian "lasagne", for want of a better word... I can't remember exactly what it was called in Hungarian.

Get a savoy cabbage and simmer it in a pot of water. It probably won't all fit under the water so turn it upside-down after ten minutes and do the other side for a further ten minutes. You want the leaves to tenderise enough so that they will lie flat when you're assembling it. De-leaf the cabbage and cut out the thick middle strand (or whatever it's called) of each leaf.

At the same time brown off some minced beef and add some tomato puree, paprika and seasoning. Add enough puree so that it is nicely moist, but not runny. If you have smoked paprika, all the better. A dash of cayenne or other hot pepper powder would also not go amiss either.

Layer the components as you would lasagne in a baking dish... beef, cabbage instead of the lasagne sheets and sour cream instead of white Bechamel sauce.

Repeat the layering two or three times and then top with grated cheese and bake as you would a lasagne.

This sounds pretty freaking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hmmm,
    I have beef mince defrosting and 2/3 of a savoy cabbage in the fridge.
    Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Yeah, it's really nice and very unusual. Hope ye enjoy it!

If I was making it (which I must again soon, now that I think of it :)) I would leave it to "set" after baking so that it can be cut into nice, neat portions (same as with lasagne). Oh yeah, and make sure to use a serrated knife as the cabbage will still have some body to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

No apologies for posting this again...
    Minder wrote: »
    Stuffed Cabbage in the Troo Style - A brilliant recipe, this link has an interesting little aside as to its origins.

Look at the comments below the recipe - Sophie G60509
    FAbulous recipe and I should know. It comes from our neighbour, Mme Glon, in the village of Troo, France back in the sixties, and was first printed in my mother, Jane Grigson's book Vegetables.
    I'm sure that Tamasin will have creditted it properly, but on air, Shame it wan't here.
    Sophie Grigson.

Recipe

Ingredients

butter
    1.4-2kg cabbage, quartered, cored and sliced into thin strips
    700 g pork sausages
    black pepper

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2. Butter an ovenproof casserole.

2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Throw in the cabbage and blanch for 5 minutes.

3. Drain the cabbage under cold running water to prevent further cooking.

4. Slit the sausage skins and push out all the sausage meat onto a plate, discarding the skins.

5. Place one third of the cabbage in the bottom of the casserole. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

6. Place half the sausage meat in a layer on top of the cabbage.

7. Continue with a layer of cabbage and sausage, finishing with a layer of cabbage, seasoning each layer as you go. Dot the top with butter.

8. Cover tightly with a layer of greaseproof paper and the lid. Bake for 2-2 1/2 hours until the cabbage is very tender.

Jane Grigson or Tamasin Day Lewis, I don't care - its a brilliant recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heres one i like.

Shred your cabbage into strips
    Heat a saucepan on max with a small amount of water an inch or so depth (not enough to cover the cabbage) until its boiling hard, chuck in the cabbage and a couple of spoons of jam (I like goosebery but any will do), a little bit of pepper and stirfry/steam in the boiling water until the cabbage is just starting to soften.
    Serve.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi Little Alex,

This is called "Rakott káposzta," literally meaning "layered cabbage;" it normally uses sauerkraut style cabbage, but fresh works too. Another awesome layered Hungarian dish is "Rakott krumpli," or "layered potato," a combination of potato, eggs, sausage, bacon and sour cream. It is very filling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I did this last night.
    I had a little left over roast butternut squash and rosemary risotto so I layered this in too and I used greek style yoghurt instead of the crème fraiche.
    Twas very nice it was!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

The recipes sound great. Many thanks. looking forward to trying a few out.

Advertisement