Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2011- Wildwood New Jersey??

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey, 4/5 girls in Limerick doing the J1 next year and considering going to Wildwood New Jersey,
    heard its easy enough to get jobs and accommodation and meant to be a good laugh aswell! was on the morey's piers website,
    it says they hire a few hundred j1ers every year which sounds promising! :rolleyes:
    we've looked online at accommodation but its all vacation rentals which are really expensive!!
    anyone been there before (or going there) got any info about the place? your accommodation/job etc etc !! any info would be helpful !! :D thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eire_tyke

I was thinking on doing the same. emailed off my cv and letter of interest to moreys pier a couple of weeks ago but havent heard nothing back yet. have ya's got in touch with them yet? apparently if ye tell them that u can work right through to labour weekend, first weekend in september, they hire ye no bother but i duno if thats true of not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tracy_Elle

No we havent contacted them yet but prob will soon, I looked on their website yesterday and its says their season is over now so maybe the staff are off and thats why they haven't gotten back tya.. we'll prob do that in the next few weeks though..
    We plan on seeing the place aswell like trips to NY and Philly so hopefully we can get a couple days off in a row to do that !
    Have you heard of or seen any accommodation online or wherever? :)

i emailed a few weeks ago just enquiring about the job and they got back to me saying to send cv, but i havent heard back since then. I was reading somewhere that u could expect to pay around $90 a week. i'm presuming thats per room but im not sure. I found this blog
    http://www.laorbust.com/part1.php

was worth a read i thought.

give them an email, see if u get anything back. I told them that i would be able to work from around the middle of june to september. have ya's done anythin about the visa yet? i got one a couple of years ago through Usit in belfast and i know a couple that used Sayit aswel.

No not yet, usit are just after opening the application so we'll get on that next week maybe, and the same for morey's piers.
    90 is very good, we wouldnt be picky, anywhere livable will do us fine!
    haha that blog is very good! like that now with the accommodation they just got a list of landlords off moreys so we'll prob just do that aswell, although i was lookin on craigslist, id say there will be more apartments and condos etc as the time gets sooner...:)

let me know if you hear any word back from moreys. i've been trying to get a few of my friends to apply but they are lazy as sin so i havent been able to talk to anyone else about their application or anything. good luck.

• Advertisement

no bother will do, tlk tya soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

My GF did her J1 in Wildwood in 2009 and I visited her for a week during the summer; my impression is that it's like a massive version of Tramore. I did my J1 that summer in Chicago and tbh I think Wildwood would have been too quiet for me. The pay is **** there from Moreys irrc, like $4/5 hr.

Really?? See I was on their website and it says they organise day trips away to Philly, Baltimore, NYC etc etc which sounds cool cause we really wanna see the place yano... I hear that jobs arent exactly scarce on the boardwalk either which is also an option? The fact that its not too hard to get a job is one of the major pull factors for us i think... I suppose we'll see!! Did your GF get decent accommodation? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sideofbacon

Hi guys,Im actually thinking of heading to wildwood.I looked into it a month or so ago ie work & accomodation.At the moment I think it's only 3 of us going,3 lads that is now.I can forward you on some info if you's like cause it seems like a pretty cool spot,sun,sea and booze & near enough to travel around the other spots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Hi guys,Im actually thinking of heading to wildwood.I looked into it a month or so ago ie work & accomodation.At the moment I think it's only 3 of us going,3 lads that is now.I can forward you on some info if you's like cause it seems like a pretty cool spot,sun,sea and booze & near enough to travel around the other spots :D

what can you tell me about wildwood sir.. im very interested in going!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can tell you with a name like hairy nipples you certainly wont be pulling any cailini:cool: I'll PM you some info if your actually interested?many of you's going?Perhaps we could get a frat house?provided your not a weirdo or smell:pac:

I can tell you with a name like hairy nipples you certainly wont be pulling any cailini:cool: I'll PM you some info if your actually interested?many of you's going?Perhaps we could get a frat house?provided your not a weirdo or smell:pac:

Girls prefer me for my rugid handsomness rather than my name SideofBacon :o i am very interested, is Wildwood near where they filmed any of the sopranos episodes by any chance? :confused: im the cleanest person out of all my friends, in fact i always have my bed made (its a bit of an obsession) and make sure the dishe washer is turned on. I would love some info on a frat house mr Sideofbacon..thank you :D

Girls prefer me for my rugid handsomness rather than my name SideofBacon :o i am very interested, is Wildwood near where they filmed any of the sopranos episodes by any chance? :confused: im the cleanest person out of all my friends, in fact i always have my bed made (its a bit of an obsession) and make sure the dishe washer is turned on. I would love some info on a frat house mr Sideofbacon..thank you :D

No problemo il PM you now with a document I have done out,hopefully if you read it,it might be of some help to you :)

No problemo il PM you now with a document I have done out,hopefully if you read it,it might be of some help to you :)

my friend sent me info on wildwood but havent got to reading it yet, do you want me to send it on to you and the 3 lads your going with? :confused:

You'd wanna get your finger out and start planning,here's a link you and the girls above might appreciate

http://www.oxygen.ie/j1_guide_new_jersey.PAGE3066.html

http://www.oxygen.ie/j1_summer_the_importance_of_shopping_around.PAGE3196.html

might give a little insight:)

You'd wanna get your finger out and start planning,here's a link you and the girls above might appreciate

http://www.oxygen.ie/j1_guide_new_jersey.PAGE3066.html

might give a little insight:)

Jennifer's boyfriend in that link has a uncanny resemblance to a friend of mine that's coming over with me in may :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lol, a frat house in Wildwood :pac:

I've heard it all now.

I'll say it again for those of you considering heading the Cape May way; think Massive Glorified Tramore.

cson wrote: »
    Lol, a frat house in Wildwood :pac:

I've heard it all now.

I'll say it again for those of you considering heading the Cape May way; think Massive Glorified Tramore.

Would there not be any frat houses in Wildwood Cson? :(

my friend sent me info on wildwood but havent got to reading it yet, do you want me to send it on to you and the 3 lads your going with? :confused:

Hey! any chance you could send me that info too?? :)

Tracy_Elle wrote: »
    Hey! any chance you could send me that info too?? :)

Hey Tracy Elle, i didnt actually save the information unfort but there wasnt much there, the links that are in the previous comment from oxygen.ie are helpful, it has experiences from former wildwood j1ers and that. If i get any more info i will pass it on..

• Advertisement

Sound thanks a mill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Would there not be any frat houses in Wildwood Cson? :(

i spent a year living in new jersey in 2004 on a h2b visa (not in wildwood but in other areas of the jersey shore such as belmar and even as far west as trenton, which is closer to philly)

i suspect that cson laughed at the notion of frat houses in wildwood due to the fact that the jersey shore has never been known for its universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I was in Wildwood last summer on a J1. Jobs weren's as easy to come by as some here seem to think, if you really want one I'd advise going for the first week of june. I went a week or so later, which ended up making it difficult to get work.

Accomadation wasn't great at all really, could find somewhere for 100 bills a week. But some didn't come with aircon and some of the landlords left a lot to be desired.

Nightlife was so so. Good few Irish people, reckon 100 or so. North Wildwood was the only place worth going out in, very hard if not impossible to get in to the clubs if you're not 21 with a passport. Its a 45 min walk or 5 mins in a cab.The clubs in Wildwood itself aren't really worth talking about, although most are easy to get into compared to the North Wildwood ones.

I'll give any more info that's needed but overall I'd say that last summer was the best summer of my life, but not sure how much of that had to do with Wildwood. I mean it's grand, but jobs pay very little, are mostly on the boardwalk...which get's tiring very quickly! Accomadation is very hit and miss. Nightlife is grand..but getting the hour bus to Atlantic City was always the best nights out! Beach is grand and weather was mostly really really warm! New York, AC, Philly etc aren't too far away either.

Any questions just ask. :)

Sútalún wrote: »
    I was in Wildwood last summer on a J1. Jobs weren's as easy to come by as some here seem to think, if you really want one I'd advise going for the first week of june. I went a week or so later, which ended up making it difficult to get work.

Accomadation wasn't great at all really, could find somewhere for 100 bills a week. But some didn't come with aircon and some of the landlords left a lot to be desired.

Nightlife was so so. Good few Irish people, reckon 100 or so. North Wildwood was the only place worth going out in, very hard if not impossible to get in to the clubs if you're not 21 with a passport. Its a 45 min walk or 5 mins in a cab.The clubs in Wildwood itself aren't really worth talking about, although most are easy to get into compared to the North Wildwood ones.

I'll give any more info that's needed but overall I'd say that last summer was the best summer of my life, but not sure how much of that had to do with Wildwood. I mean it's grand, but jobs pay very little, are mostly on the boardwalk...which get's tiring very quickly! Accomadation is very hit and miss. Nightlife is grand..but getting the hour bus to Atlantic City was always the best nights out! Beach is grand and weather was mostly really really warm! New York, AC, Philly etc aren't too far away either.

Hi mate, which company did you book your j1 with, did they not sort you out with employment options before you left? How many people did you head over with? Why would you recommend north wildwood clubs rather than south other that the issue with getting in? are the people friendly over there and how did you meet the other irish folks? sorry for the 20 questions here but as you can see we are very close to making this destination a permanent choice and we need all the facts. And finally in what aspect would you say it was the best summer of your life cos from your text it doesnt seem convincing that it was! :p

Hey,If you mind me asking what age were you when you went over?did you manage to get a job at all over there?And where abouts did you end up living,was there many of you's in it etc?

Oook well here's a few extra points!

- Yeah I was 21 so no bother with getting in anywhere, just needed to bring your passport all the time!

- North Wildwood had proper nightclubs where as the rest were mostly bars with small dancefloor, not much of an atmosphere. Grand for the first week but once you go north, they just dont cut it. Cant go there all summer!

- I went with go4less, no they don't get you employment before you leave. Got a job for a few weeks. But many of the employers there dont like the Irish. Some do some dont. Pay was brutal though and not many tips. If you're going I'll pm you with the places to look for jobs.

- In terms of accomadation there's not many nice places to live, but where we stayed there were a block of 5 apartments with all irish people. Weren't nice really, but good craic with all the irish people. Landlords were a disaster too. Again I can give you info if you're going.

People were, like everywhere else in the world, a mixture. I met some of the nicest, friendliest most helpful people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. But also met some of the most ignorant, unhelpful. You'll get it in most places! Mostly nice though.. :)

Anything else you need to ask, fire away! What made it amazing was the nightlife, living away from home etc.. I've lived away from home before and traveled but not for such an extended period. The people we lived with, around were great. But wildwood itself like someone else said, is like a bigger slightly more exotic version of tramore. Every american you talk to always asks.. "Why did you come to wildwood???". I dont regret it, but there's certainly better places to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Sútalún,
    do u mind me asking how hard was it to find a job? and what kinda job was it?

Sútalún,
    do u mind me asking how hard was it to find a job? and what kinda job was it?

It was pretty hard.. Because of the previous winter, a lot of snow the kids didn't get off school til later in the summer and subsequently the season "started later". Like I said previously though, if your arrive end of may/start of june you'll probably be able to get a decent job. Eventually I got one in a few places on the boardwalk. If you want a job you'll get one but few are desireable. I'll PM you the good ones if you want.

Oook well here's a few extra points!

- Yeah I was 21 so no bother with getting in anywhere, just needed to bring your passport all the time!

- North Wildwood had proper nightclubs where as the rest were mostly bars with small dancefloor, not much of an atmosphere. Grand for the first week but once you go north, they just dont cut it. Cant go there all summer!

- I went with go4less, no they don't get you employment before you leave. Got a job for a few weeks. But many of the employers there dont like the Irish. Some do some dont. Pay was brutal though and not many tips. If you're going I'll pm you with the places to look for jobs.

- In terms of accomadation there's not many nice places to live, but where we stayed there were a block of 5 apartments with all irish people. Weren't nice really, but good craic with all the irish people. Landlords were a disaster too. Again I can give you info if you're going.

People were, like everywhere else in the world, a mixture. I met some of the nicest, friendliest most helpful people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. But also met some of the most ignorant, unhelpful. You'll get it in most places! Mostly nice though.. :)

Anything else you need to ask, fire away! What made it amazing was the nightlife, living away from home etc.. I've lived away from home before and traveled but not for such an extended period. The people we lived with, around were great. But wildwood itself like someone else said, is like a bigger slightly more exotic version of tramore. Every american you talk to always asks.. "Why did you come to wildwood???". I dont regret it, but there's certainly better places to go!

Hey Sútalún thanks for the reply! about the accommodation, i know you say it wasnt great but did they have the basics like we wouldnt be too fussy but dont wanna be livin in ****e either!!! also how was the cost of living? was it expensive or alright? and where did you end up working? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

I went New York this summer, didnt get a J1, worked in construction with an Irish employer so didnt need the visa. I would definatley recommend NY.
    I lived in woodlawn which is an Irish neighbourhood on the outskirts of the bonx. Its about 30mins to manhattan on a train, Boston is about 2.30hours away on a bus, same as Atlantic City but in the other direction. As regards nightclubs, anywhere would do well to Manhattan. Although jobs arnt going to be handed to you, with so many bars in NY, you are bound to find something. The pay is unbelievale aswell.
    Talked to a few people who spent 2months in wildwood, pay was brutal, as someone said, $4/5 an hour, nightlife wasnt great.
    Think im going back to NY to work for 4/5 weeks this year for the money, then go Vegas and Cali.

Advertisement