Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2011- Wildwood New Jersey??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clever kat

heya, i am also thinking of going to wildwood as part of j1 with one of my guy friends. Im just wonderin what company (usit,sayit or go for less) would be best to book with? Also other than morey's pier where else can i get a job?. Any advise would be great Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tracy_Elle

clever kat wrote: »
    heya, i am also thinking of going to wildwood as part of j1 with one of my guy friends. Im just wonderin what company (usit,sayit or go for less) would be best to book with? Also other than morey's pier where else can i get a job?. Any advise would be great Thanks :D

Hey were goin with USIT cause its closest to us really.. they all seem to work out the same in the long run anyways i think, weve applied for moreys piers but i read in a few places that if you get there early enough theres a few jobs goin on the boardwalk and around aswell.. i think its a play it by ear kinda place!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bobby9

I sent you a pm Dave 2k10

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Saw the post about Wildwood and thought I'd add my(likely dated) remarks.

I grew up in NJ and spent my summers "down the Shore" (at the Jersey Shore). Historically (through the 1980's and '90s), the Jersey Shore was filled with Irish J1 students working the boardwalks, shops, restaurants, etc.. In fact, business owners heavily relied on the Irish students to meet their summer staffing needs (and the Irish students did well economically filling this need). Also, the students generally had a blast (socially). While all the jobs may not have been glamorous, they certainly took advantage of the nightlife. (I know of several long-term relationships that developed over those summer days).

With the rise of the Celtic Tiger, the Irish generally stopped coming to the Jersey Shore and Eastern European students (and some from South America) began filling the seasonal work needs. (Many business owners lamented the loss of the Irish students).

Now it sounds like the Irish are returning to the Shore. Wildwood historically has been a common destination for the Irish students. To Americans, Wildwood is considered more "honkey-tonk" or "guido" (read Italian-American) I'm not sure if Ireland has been exposed to Snooki, Mike "the Situation" and the rest of the crew of the MTV show "Jersey Shore" - but if you are, then you'll get my meaning). North Wildwood, on-the-other-hand, is an Irish-American enclave. Many Philadelpia firefighters and police have their summer homes (or summer rentals) in North Wildwood.

Moreys Entertainment Piers are well run and family-friendly. While the rest of the boardwalk may feel like an oversized Tramore, Moreys maintains a nice atmosphere and the last several years is mainly staffed by Eastern European students who are quite nice and polite. I defer to Sutalan regarding the growing number of Irish students in Wildwood. Time was in a couple of bars in Wildwood, if you didn't have an Irish accent you were in a distinct minority.

The Jersey Shore towns have innumerable "feels" to them. While generalizing, Wildwood, Belmar, and Seaside Heights (of the show Jersey Shore fame) have the more "guido" feel and attract many Italian-Americans from New York City and Philadelphia. The town just south of Wildwood, Cape May, has a very Victorian feel and attracts folks from all across the US. Other towns, such as Spring Lake (called the Irish Riviera) and Stone Harbor are very "posh" towns and cater to such consumers.

Many American college students get a group of friends together to rent a "home" down the Shore for the summer. Some may work at the Shore, but many work in their hometown areas or NYC and Philly during the week, then come down the Shore for the weekend. The weekends are a non-stop social scene (as the week-days can be as well). Many of these American college students end up in towns such as Sea Isle City (just north of Wildwood), Manasquan, Belmar, Point Pleasant, and to a lesser extent Long Beach Island. All have their charms and drawbacks. Generally, if you have a group of folks it's hard not to have a good time.

Regarding jobs and accomodations, as others have recommended I'd start looking early. Historically, as I stated above, the business owners like the Irish students. If the owners know you're coming with a group, they likely can get you a good lead on accomodations as well. They know it pays to keep their workers happy. I don't know what the job situation is like, but the Jersey Shore has generally proven to be "recession" proof.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I did my J1 in Wildwood 8 Summers ago and it was pretty good. We were all fairly green and all under 21 so we probably didnt make the most of it as if we were over 21 and know what we know now!

We worked for this crowd http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/Openings.aspx
    They actually recruited in Irish colleges and brough gangs over to work in the various stores in NJ. We were in the Wildood Rio Grand Ave one andI think that was great compared to being in Cape May (more older people down there). I dont think they recruit in Irish campuses anymore but it would be no harm in sending a few emails to scope out the situation. As well as them giving you the job we got reduced rent in a FANTASTIC condo (there were 5 of us but it would have slept 8) by the beach and we could tell them which shifts we would like to work so we could make the most of the Summer. They aslo organised a trip for all the foreign workers to Washington. And they also sorted us with social security numbers and helped with all that legal paperwork.

We did work our arses off though making hoagies and it was tough coming in hungover and dealing with customers. But we finished work at either 7 and that left plenty of time to party. If you work in Moreys Pier you are there working late.

Very tough to get in anywhere if you are not over 21 alright. But like other people have said NY is only a 4 hour or so journay away and Atlantic City is near too.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eggsnbutter

Hey,
    Myself and a few friends were also thinking of heading to wildwood this year, there will probably be about 5 or 6 of us and will all be lookin for accomodation and jobs. Just wondering though, is wildwood known for nights out and being a party all night place, does there be many irish head out there! :) We want to go somewhere where we are guaranteed good nights out every night!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eggsnbutter

Hey,
    Myself and a few friends were also thinking of heading to wildwood this year, there will probably be about 5 or 6 of us and will all be lookin for accomodation and jobs. Just wondering though, is wildwood known for nights out and being a party all night place, does there be many irish head out there! smile.gif We want to go somewhere where we are guaranteed good nights out every night!! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yo_yo

hey lads, theres three of us from Meath thinkin of headin over to Wildwood this year but I really havent heard anythin too positive about it :(
    We've applied for a job in Moreys Piers but wer lookin for a party party kinda place not somewhere were its real quiet! has anyone got any advice????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EoinMacc

I went to wildwood last year.. Went out in wildwood most regulary as it was far easier to get in as I was only 20, very multi cultural in the clubs, mostly people that were working on the boardwalk from all over the world! Was only alright, also had numerous Irish nights to attend in Jillys, juan pablo's etc. they were decent fun aswell. I went out for a few nights in north wildwood aswell, had to get a taxi up there but it was totally worth it, great nights, better for and Irish person. you need to be 21 though or get lucky, like I did one or two nights..

workwise I found numerous possible jobs the first day I went looking. I eventually started work at a go-kart track, hated it at first but grew to love it. Pay was 7.25/h.. there is loads of jobs on the boardwalk just go in search with an open mind and give a good impression of yourself!

I am thinking of heading back this year again, but living in north wildwood this time.. contact me on facebook if you want more information on housing, nightlife or jobs.. here is my fb http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001336075257 .
    The more Irish in wildwood the better :D Also I went with a group of 8 last year could be dwindled to a group of 4 this year so we would be well up for house sharing.. 2 girls 2 boys! Cyaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sinead_

Hey

There is 7 of us girls wanting to go to jersey shore most of us 21!! I have some bar experience wondering will it be easy to get jobs in bars? Also where is a good place to stay and best nightclubs for irish?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EoinMacc

Never looked for barwork as I dont have any experience myself.. But I had a friend who worked at a place called Juan Pablo's and he really liked it and the tips were very good! you have a good chance of getting a job in a pub if you have some experience I would assume most people talk on a lot of extra staff given the population boom in the summer :) Add me on FB if you have another question, there should be a wildwood 2011 page up soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mich carlow

wildwood has no savage nightclubs, there all like disco bars mainly:mad: seaside heights seems to be savage, its de same set up as wildwood with amusment park on the beach but has proper clubs....:) its easy get work dr 2, my friend worked dr last year and got work in bar.................... i emailed the amusment park and got offered a job there today whooo.......... come seaside heights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

I did the J1 in Wildwood back in 2006. Have to say it was a fun place to be but I think if I was going again I'd look for somewhere a bit less tacky!

I had no real plans as to where I wanted to go so just landed in NYC and headed down to Wildwood because a friend had done it the year before.

When I got to Wildwood it took about a week to find accomadation so stayed in motels (most of them required you to be 21 or older to stay in them!) You could probably find accomadation easier as I was a bit fussy. In saying that it ended up being 6 girls sharing a 2 bed apt! But just off the Boardwalk.

I got to WW early enough in June and got a job in Morey's - I worked 1 night in it and had enough but luckily I got a job in the Boardwalk Wall in a shop so that was good. Morey's do organise day trips and stuff for the staff I think they might have gone to an American Football game too. The work in Morey's and anywhere else on the Boardwalk is usually long enough hours some nights not finishing till after midnight but you usually get 2 days off a week and if you have a decent boss they can give you 2 days off in a row.

There's 2 main pubs in it where the Irish went when I was there Michaels & The Harbour as always it depends on who your with if the craic is good or not.

There isn't a whole lot else to do in WW though unless you spend your time off in Moreys or on the beach but I'm sure you'll still have a ball if you decide to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't believe people still go to the Wildwood and the Harbour bar. Was there in the early 1990's. Had a blast. Probably wasn't as tacky then as it is now I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lyncha5

Hey theres a group of four girls and two possible guys, (and then a few coming to visit) of us heading to wildwood this summer flying into jfk and busing it down to wildwood, were just looking at accomodation at the mo and have been offered jobs in moreys pier, is anybody looking to share accomodation? my emails lyncha5@tcd.ie
    :) its gonna be great!!

looking to share accomadation?

if you were interested in getting accom 4 of us looking to share to? there many frat houses floating around wildwood?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tracy_Elle

Hey, have you found some accom? We've been lookin ages and most of the stuff is vacation rentals that are v.deer...? Sickener on us we applied for a job in Morey's back in December and they only replied to us about 3 weeks ago sayin we cant have a job!! im not worried or anything cause there's meant to be plenty of jobs and apartments etc etc.. It would be nice to have all that sorted before we go... there's 8 of us at the mo, 7 girls and 1 boy and the same as ye there's gonna be a few over to visit! :)

great to see irish heading back to wildwood, has never regained what it had in the early 2000s. i was there in 2002 and 2003 on j1s, was unreal. went back for a holiday in 2007 and was shocked how little irish were there but had a great time all the same. heard the harbor opened back up last year which my favourate spot. hill 16 was a great club in 2002 and 2003 but unfortunately has closed down since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bigdogfox

hi all,spent last summer in wildwood and had a blast,a few bars in wildwood had irish nites thar were gr8 craic and up in north wildwood there are a few decent clubs although there are more expencive and are seriousily strict on i.d..anybody thats not 21 make sure and have some form of id saying your 21 or a doctored driving licence or u will b dissapointed,jobs wernt that hard to come by if your willing to spend a day or 2 walking up n down the boarwalk n just ask everywhere.We found accomadition fairly easily,no place is gonna b like the ritz but expect to pay $90-$100 dollers a week..theres a facebook page 'students to wildwood 2010'(dont tink they have a 2011 page up yet) that we found very helpful,drop them a message n dey will point u in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Deelighted

Hello :)

Me and 6/7 other girls (from Dublin)are planning on heading to wildwood!Visas and everything sorted just really struggling on the jobs front!!We really need jobs to be able to afford this holiday and kinda need them as soon as we get there!!Didn't get moreys!!Any ideas of where to apply???

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know is it possible to book your flights and visa's separately? or has everyone here booked the full thing with useit or sayit?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bigdogfox

check out 'students to wildwood 2010' on facebook,dont think they have a 2011 page set up yet but there very helpful n will send you in the right direction...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rory6pocmurphy

Basically it sounds as if Moreys is all booked up for jobs .... Looking to share accomadation anyway, In the wildwood area! Heading over on the 1st of june with another friend, Anybody wanting to share accomadation or know a place to try, givs a shout back at liam_m_murphy@hotmail.com Thanks, Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 asherling

Hey, myself and 2 others heading over for 1st of June, looking to share accommodation, if anyone is interested you can find me on http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000197775958

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aaron1993

Sútalún wrote: »
    Sútalún,
    do u mind me asking how hard was it to find a job? and what kinda job was it?

It was pretty hard.. Because of the previous winter, a lot of snow the kids didn't get off school til later in the summer and subsequently the season "started later". Like I said previously though, if your arrive end of may/start of june you'll probably be able to get a decent job. Eventually I got one in a few places on the boardwalk. If you want a job you'll get one but few are desireable. I'll PM you the good ones if you want.

Well lad,
    Me and 2 or 3 of the lads are looking to head to wildwood on a j1 this summer .. We already have it booked for Florida but were allowed to change destination .. Wildwood sounds like the place for us as were all 18 ,19 and 20 so it'll be handy getting into places .. Just wondering what's wildwood like in the sense of getting jobs and accommodation ?... And also what Its like socially ? Plenty of young ones ? Haha
    Add me on facebook Aaron Reilly O'Brien or just pm me dude
    Cheers buddy
    Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Anyone heading over this summer?? Looking to go over and share accomodation!! Seems like a deadli place, bit worried about the lack of discussion about it on this tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mikel1506

Hi im flying into newark in June for the summer and planning on busing it to wildwood and was just wondering had anybody got any information bout getting work or accomadation over there? I'm heading over on my own cause I couldn't find anyone to come with so any help would be much appreciated. please pm me with any info

Advertisement