Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home insurance query

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I bought a semi detached house last year with a mortgage from BoI who kindly threw in free home insurance.
    The house was built 20 years ago and is in a small close of 12 house.
    The house was originally build on a pile driven foundation because the ground was once quite marshy.
    None of my neighbors houses have ever suffered from any settlement/subsidence problems.
    I know that its in my interest be honest with my insurer but after speaking with one of the big insurers I think I may have a problem.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What's the wording on the question insurers ask. It is usually 'are you aware of any previous incidents etc'..... and, from what you say, there are none. Also, Insurers are now using mapping systems. If there is a problem in your area, they should already know.

Bottom line is there are no historical incidents in the area that you are obliged to tell insurers about and, secondly, they should know already

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

what exactly is your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 padthelad

Hi guys,
    Today I phoned Axa, Aviva & RSA(current insurer).
    All 3 companies asked "was the property built using standard construction methods?" to which I asked "is pile driven considered standard?".
    All 3 companys said that they would need to check with their underwriting dept.
    They all called be back with one answer "No".
    Aviva asked me to get an engineers report on the property and then they would make a decision. Engineers report €500!
    Spoke again with my neighbours today and all are insured.
    Neighbours think that I'm looking for trouble and that I shouldn't mentioning anything because there have never been any problems with any house in he past 15 years.
    Some footpaths and driveways sank a little in the first 5 years after construction but no house has ever suffered any damage from settlement.

Advertisement