Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfdog Pups

• 16-11-2010 11:08pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

So what exactly is the deal with wolfdog pups? Why on earth do people want one of these hybrids? Half of the ones I've seen advertised are half german shepherd in any case- the parent that's supposedly a wolf is just a white german shepherd. I'm assuming that the lack of real animal welfare laws means nothing can be done about these either?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I was once told by an animal genetics lecturer that dogs and wolves can't interbreed, and therefore that supposed 'wolf-dog' crosses are always a scam. (like you said, GSD/husky type crosses). Having said that i just had a look on google and the collective wisdom of the internet seems to be disagreeing with that... somehow i'm still skeptical that there's any of these wolfdogs hanging around in ireland!! biggrin.gif
    If they do exist though I can't imagine they'd be very good pets, or enjoy living in houses very much eek.gif

/Edit: eep! my eyes have been opened!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109779 (that lecturer was a pure waster anyway) biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SOme of the main ads were of Canadian based breeders, unlicensed and family there who work with the SPCA traced them and got them stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

What are the laws on owning wolves/wolf crosses? Importing ordinary pet dogs is tough enough, can't imagine importing a wolf would be too easy!
    Also, real wolves are quite big animals- tv doesn't really do this justice. And my experience with 'wolf/dog crosses' is that they're mainly white GSDs, but that's just my experience. Met at least one guy who kept going on about his 'white wolves' (that's what he advertised them as anyway). They were simply white GSDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yep as said, usually a white shepard/husky cross. I have a WGS and a white husky always have people asking if they are wolves lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yep as said, usually a white shepard/husky cross. I have a WGS and a white husky always have people asking if they are wolves lol...

That's not saying much, I have a Japanese Spitz and I have 'young fellas' asking where I go my wolf pup :D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

There are plenty of domesticated dog breeds that look pretty much like wolves - why do people not simply get one of those? Is it just the allure of owning a wolf (they are beautiful animals I must admit)? Although there is practically no difference between the DNA of dogs and wolves so they can successfully breed, I'm not entirely sure why some people feel the need to.

I wonder has anyone ever successfully domesticated a fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Interesting question! Although off topic for this thread ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

Basically, after several generations they started to look and behave more like dogs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Interesting! I could see myself getting one in the future, but they obviously need a more experienced pet-owner than myself.

I just had a quick look on google and apparently there's a breeder in Russia who sells fox cubs for $6000 a pop! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I seen an ad for 'wolf hybrids' on a particular site with a picture of the father, he's 100% white gsd. :rolleyes: Why people want these dogs/wolves I will never know, probably the big man act so they can say I own a wolf. :( Then I hear people on american sites (where apparently they are popular) saying they have one and it's the best family dog ever with pics of a baby climbing all over it, 99% of the time I think these are just gsd/husky/malamute crosses.

If they really want a dog that resembles a wolf and has a similar temperment of one why don't they look at some of the wolf-like breeds like the czechoslovakian wolfdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

lrushe wrote: »
    That's not saying much, I have a Japanese Spitz and I have 'young fellas' asking where I go my wolf pup :D:rolleyes:
    Ah sure it's the same for me with our Akitas too....
    "Jaysus lads it's a wolf! where'd ye get him mister?" or my favourite from the tinkers "Fine dog boss, how much would ya sell it for?" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are plenty of domesticated dog breeds that look pretty much like wolves - why do people not simply get one of those? Is it just the allure of owning a wolf (they are beautiful animals I must admit)? Although there is practically no difference between the DNA of dogs and wolves so they can successfully breed, I'm not entirely sure why some people feel the need to.

It is the "novelty"; there was a long thread way back about this; someone who intended to get one and live alongside it in her house. Mention was also made of a man in Leitrim who lives with a colony of wolves in and out of his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

adser53 wrote: »
    Ah sure it's the same for me with our Akitas too....
    "Jaysus lads it's a wolf! where'd ye get him mister?" or my favourite from the tinkers "Fine dog boss, how much would ya sell it for?" :D

Must be a Portlaoise thing coz I get the alot with my GSD. Maybe the town is just full of tinkers (it is).

I love the idea of wolf hybrids but the amount of work it would take would be incredible. From what Ive read they are usually a mix of wolf, malamute and german shepherd. They are not the same as domestic dogs (even though all our dogs are genetically 99% wolf) and need alot of space to wander. They famously dont make great pets due to being shy, like wolves and having an incredible prey drive. Imagine that in the house with your kids. Having said that, I'd love to own some but only if I had loads of securely enclosed space. Doubt they're on the restricted breeds list here yet but they will be.

Recently saw a Dog Whisperer episode with 2 wolf hybrids on it and the male one looked like a huge white GSD, absolutely gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

Wolfdogs are often used for film and tv where a "wolf" look is required and a full wolf is considered to dangerous to train let alone bring onto a crowded film set.

Has anyone here seen the documentary "BBC Horizon- the secret life of the dog"? It's an amazing documentary and really worth watching.

The reason I bring it up was becuase they did an experiment on it where they took day old (or thereabouts) wolf cubs from their mother (who I think rejected them) and gave each cub to a student. The students proceeded to bottle feed them, live with them, hand rear them etc to see if their behaviour would be closer to a dog seeing as they were being raised with humans in a domesticated environment. It was a resounding failure. The cubs had to be put back into the wolf sanctuary after around 6 months because they were too strong, stubborn and potentially dangerous. A true wolf-dog hybrid may be a little easier to handle but I wouldn't fancy my chances at all. I'll stick to Akitas- they're hard enough work ;)

Was it EGAR who had/has a wolf dog that she can't rehome because he's potentially too dangerous? I'm nearly sure it was and I remember a great post from her describing the life of a hybrid. Something like "they are neither dog or wolf and as a result of their breeding, belong in neither world. Too aloof and wary of humans (for the inner dog to be happy), when lacking a pack structure (for the wolf part) they are miserable and they are'nt able to deal with confinement. It sounded very sad when I read it.

I fully acept people's rights to choose what breed they love, we're all different and while I may love Akitas, I accept that others don't. What I don't understand is the needless fascination with wolfdogs. Anyone who wants a true hybrid, IMO, is so inconsiderate to the needs of these animals. They aren't dogs and shouldn't be treated as such. Why not get a Jaguar and try train it to use a litter box or let it roam the estate? Same principal IMO. They do look stunning though!

Has anyone here seen the documentary "BBC Horizon- the secret life of the dog"?

Yep seen it, it was very good. What people don't seem to understand is that just becasue Wolves are the same as dogs so far as their DNA is concerned they are worlds apart so far as their temperament deveopment is concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Was it EGAR who had/has a wolf dog that she can't rehome because he's potentially too dangerous? I'm nearly sure it was and I remember a great post from her describing the life of a hybrid. Something like "they are neither dog or wolf and as a result of their breeding, belong in neither world. Too aloof and wary of humans (for the inner dog to be happy), when lacking a pack structure (for the wolf part) they are miserable and they are'nt able to deal with confinement. It sounded very sad when I read it.

It is indeed, its here under the sponsor a dog tab, first on the list! ;)

http://www.egar.org/

Good man, I was hoping I didn't imagine it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Here you guys - you can even see the "wolf" :rolleyes:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1716079

Breed: Rottweiler
    two litters
    5 7week old pups and 2 9 week old pups
    5 white, 1 black and 3 tri coloured pups
    vacinated and defleaed
    friendly playfull bundles of fur
    mother is a rottweiler
    father is a whote wolf
    both can be seen
    first come first serve!
    no time wasters please!!

tk123 wrote: »

Pity there's no pics of the whote wolf, would love to see this new colour that's been invented :D

<ETA>Also there only seems to be reference to one bitch, these people are obviously way ahead of everyone else with their magical new colours and bitches than can produce 2 litters within 2 weeks of each other.

I wonder if it's white and sparkles like glitter or something, like something from a beautiful dream :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »

Breed: Rottweiler
    two litters
    5 7week old pups and 2 9 week old pups
    5 white, 1 black and 3 tri coloured pups
    vacinated and defleaed
    friendly playfull bundles of fur
    mother is a rottweiler
    father is a whote wolf
    both can be seen
    first come first serve!
    no time wasters please!!

If this is true I'll eat my hat!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also there only seems to be reference to one bitch, these people are obviously way ahead of everyone else with their magical new colours and bitches than can produce 2 litters within 2 weeks of each other.
    If you google his number there is another litter which was advertised 50 days ago, different pics, same description. :mad:

Whispered wrote: »
    If you google his number there is another litter which was advertised 50 days ago, different pics, same description. :mad:

There looks to be a fair bit more than 2 weeks difference in the size of those pups in that ad, 9 weeks old my ass!!!

Advertisement