Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded hard-drive

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I'm just looking for some general advice here after I installed a new hard-drive. I have an old 500gb hd that contains all of my old data on, this is pretty much full to capacity now so I bought and installed a new hd. I installed XP on the new hard-drive but when I boot up the PC it keeps booting into my old version of XP on the old hard-drive.

I know its probably an easy fix but whats the best way to go about booting XP off the new hard-drive while still having access to my old hard-drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what format are the hard drives, sata or ide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnallen

I'm just looking for some general advice here after I installed a new hard-drive. I have an old 500gb hd that contains all of my old data on, this is pretty much full to capacity now so I bought and installed a new hd. I installed XP on the new hard-drive but when I boot up the PC it keeps booting into my old version of XP on the old hard-drive.

I know its probably an easy fix but whats the best way to go about booting XP off the new hard-drive while still having access to my old hard-drive?

Swap the data cables connected to the drives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Go into the BIOS, look around for an option that says something like
    'Hard Disk Boot Priority'

Put the new drive at the top. If you can't tell which is which from the codes, just swapping the ones that are there should do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I got a new hard drive and placed the os xp pro on it - all working fine (had to download some drivers to get the ethernet up and running) but the pc no longer sleeps - keeps waking up.

I downloaded a app to force the pc to sleep but it keeps waking up. Not sure what to do as I am kinda ignorant about this stuff - it is a dell desktop

I even configured the power settings in the control panel.

Any help would be appreciated

Advertisement