Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beggars in the city centre

• 16-11-2010 11:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Do you walk by or drop a few coins in their cup? I can't remember ever giving change to a homeless person

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I was downtown with a friend once - we saw a beggar sitting down holding a plastic cup. My friend took a fiver out of his pocket, dropped it at the beggars feet - his eyes light up, but my friend picks it up and walks on. Cuntish thing to do but damn funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

The majority of them arent homeless, theyre simply 'working'!
    Once youve seen the 'shift changes' etc your really begin to see it for what it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Most times I encounter them is at ATM machines so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

First post by KidKeith89.

First reply by KeithM89.

Hmm. Anyone else find this a bit odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Beggars in the city centre

Yes, I noticed that about Limerick too. What's Cork or Dublin like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

First post by KidKeith89.

First reply by KeithM89.

Hmm. Anyone else find this a bit odd?

KidKeith89, i am your father!! :D

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that about Limerick too.:rolleyes:

Which Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Venom wrote: »
    Most times I encounter them is at ATM machines so no.

ATM always hit me as a stupid place for a beggar to try his luck. Whatever cahnce he has off getting a few loose coins from you, he has no chance of getting that crisp 50quid note that you just got from the ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Fianna Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The majority of them arent homeless, theyre simply 'working'!
    Once youve seen the 'shift changes' etc your really begin to see it for what it is!

Yeah, a lot of them only seem to beg at peak periods, just before 9pm, lunchtime, just after 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not me - compassion nd humanity r 4 loosers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Holden Caulfield

I find it disgusting to see moronic Irish people giving money to disgusting Romanian beggars. Makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Galway is full of them

Hardly surprising when you have the hostel up off Eyre Sq in Fairgreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sometimes yay sometimes nay. I used to donate to a shelter when times was better for me. There are an awful lot of them though lately. Have never encountered a similar volume anywhere else in Europe.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    What's Cork or Dublin like?

Small cities. Lots of shops, pubs, restaurants & people. Not many high rise buildings. Large suburban sprawls.

You should go. You might like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Only one oul lad who used to prop himself up against a bollard in Dame Lane. He looked in a bad way so I used to throw him a few Euro when I saw him.

Its been over a year since I last seen him. Dont know what happened to him. :confused:

All the other Romas and those fookers who get up in your face. NO CHANCE !

I find it disgusting to see moronic Irish people giving money to disgusting Romanian beggars. Makes me sick.
    Have you tried Motillium?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

KeithM89 wrote: »
    KidKeith89, i am your father!! :D

Wow, I didn't think the aul fella would knew how to use Boards.ie :p

Yeah that's what I've been thinking myself, that they're just 'working'. Tough job in this weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Only when I'm drunk, and even at that I always always ask if they are Irish or not. None of my money for eastern block gypos!

popzmaster wrote: »
    Only when I'm drunk, and even at that I always always ask if they are Irish or not. None of my money for eastern block gypos!
    It's actually not that difficult to tell when a gypsy is Roma.

• Advertisement

popzmaster wrote: »

It's admirable the way you never forget to be racist even when you are drunk. I mean, if you're going to be a bigot, you may as well take it all the way.

It's admirable the way you never forget to be racist even when you are drunk. I mean, if you're going to be a bigot, you may as well take it all the way.
    Yea your right +1

Dudess wrote: »
    It's actually not that difficult to tell when a gypsy is Roma.

Yea i know but i do be in ****in bits. and sry for double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The two lads who sit outside my work, I always have a quick chat with them, give them a smoke, a tea or a few euro. I've known them a good few years at this stage, both really nice fellas. There are scammers out there but there are also genuine homeless people who haven't had the easiest life, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I've bought a sandwich and a cup of tea on a couple of occasions if I felt they were genuine, most of the time I tell them to **** off. Had a bunch of romas call to the door last year begging, nearly pissed myself laughing at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Romanian people are sound, its the roma that do the begging, and the Romanians have more hate for them than we ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

I've never seen anyone give them money, I detest them and find it horrific the way some of their kids are treated by the fathers and mothers.
    I take it these 'beggars' are actually getting some sort of supplementary social welfare? They certainly aren't homeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Dublin Simon Community doing a lot of work in the run up to Christmas. Sign up for soup runs or Carol Singing if you have the time and want to do some worthwhile helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Had this Romanian woman follow me around town last year begging for money, i told her to piss off and i think she said some kind of prayer under her breath so i think she put a curse on me :D . Do romanians have such power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Have given money the last two times I have been approached by them, both were Irish but I do not think that makes a difference. The first was genuine enough looking for some money to get a place for the night, was real thankful about it. The second was a chancer but I still gave him a couple of coins. It is a horrible and desperate situation to see in Dublin.

I've never seen anyone give them money, I detest them and find it horrific the way some of their kids are treated by the fathers and mothers.
    Ironically when those kids grow up, they'll be just as hated as their parents - so why the sympathy?

MGMTea wrote: »
    Had this Romanian woman follow me around town last year begging for money, i told her to piss off and i think she said some kind of prayer under her breath so i think she put a curse on me :D . Do romanians have such power?
    It's Roma.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

ROMA! Not Romanians. Two different groups of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Yeah, a lot of them only seem to beg at peak periods, just before 9pm, lunchtime, just after 5pm.

if you were begging , would it not make sense to do do at the best times?

Btw i sometimes bye beggars cups of tea or coffe and a twix or something

I alway hear this thing where people say they are "professional beggars" .
    How much money do you suspect they make.

Im sure many of you will be familiar with the young lad who begs on henry st near the jervis st shopping centre, its at an intersection there. Me heart breaks everytime i see him but theres only so much i can do .
    Sometimes when i think i have it tough i often think of the millions around the world who have it a whole lot worse, after all im typing in front of a fire with the rain pelting of the window , i have it lucky after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I'm always fearful that when i lean down towards their cup to drop my coins in that they are gonna hop up and stab me.

• Advertisement

Gheorghe Hagi had extreme power

I'd probably throw him 20 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That is because a lot of them "work" during the day, ie they go around selling drugs or trying to make money by robbing stuff. They do it to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Give them bus ticket refunds so they have to shift their asses for money like the rest of us.

Ironically when those kids grow up, they'll be just as hated as their parents - so why the sympathy?

Ah I have a friend who works in child protection and some of the stories I have heard are horrific. Its a viscous cycle and yes they will probably grow up to be thief's, beggars and horrible filthy creatures that are a drain on society.
    How could ye not have sympathy for those kids what chance do they have.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I alway hear this thing where people say they are "professional beggars" .
    How much money do you suspect they make.
    Some people on these threads seem to know an awful lot about all these beggars' personal lives to be able to make a call as to what their circumstances are. It truly scares me how many people seem to have so much personal information about total strangers - maybe my cynicism re comparisons of Irish society to 1984 is unfounded... :(

• Advertisement

How could ye not have sympathy for those kids what chance do they have.
    My point is, their parents probably experienced similar when they were kids though. I'm not defending illegal/criminal behaviour btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

I would like to mention peter mc ferry who works with the homeless in dublin , some of you may be familiar with him but many others may not as he dosent seek celebrity for his charity like many other irish people .

Some people on these threads seem to know an awful lot about all these beggars' personal lives to be able to make a call as to what their circumstances are. It truly scares me how many people seem to have so much personal information about total strangers - maybe my cynicism re comparisons of Irish society to 1984 is unfounded... :(

I know the Roma family who live a few doors down from me don't send their children to school, I've seen them begging around Dublin several times. I also know that their large TV and semi-decent vehicles suggest that they aren't exactly living in poverty.

Professional beggars can make hundreds in a day! They wouldn't do it if it wasn't lucrative.

I worked in a school that had pupils from a travelling background. Once the eldest finished primary school he was made to do "shift work" begging in Dublin city centre. There was always a look out keeping an eye from a safe distance. It was heartbreaking to see because he was such a hardworking, intelligent and gentle kid. Luckily the HSCL got him out of that situation and he's in full time education now.

Wander around town after a night out and see the actual homeless at 2am asleep in doorways. These are not the beggars you see during the day. These are the poor souls that need help. Help them by giving your time or funds to a legit homeless charity.

PS. I'm delighted that posters are realising that Romanian =/= Roma. I've been preaching that on here for 4 years!!

Yup its a viscous cycle.

Wasn't there a load of them sleeping in a roundabout a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Close to 20 billion a year spent on welfare and it seems still people are falling through the cracks.

Let the Department of Social Protection put resources into hostels and help so.
    I don't give money to beggars directly, that is the governments job. There are trained policy directors and civil servants with the knowledge.
    It won't ever be solved totally but if you pay tax then realy do you pay again to beggars?

Yup its a viscous cycle.

Wasn't there a load of them sleeping in a roundabout a while ago.

It's a sticky situation all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Professional beggars can make hundreds in a day!

I might take it up, I'm sure i saw a few vacancies for it on IrishJobs.ie

Absurdum wrote: »
    I know the Roma family who live a few doors down from me don't send their children to school, I've seen them begging around Dublin several times. I also know that their large TV and semi-decent vehicles suggest that they aren't exactly living in poverty.

I know Roma families that have their children enrolled in schools and one/ both parents are working.. Fair play to them for not going down the begging road that obviously pays off.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I would like to mention peter mc ferry who works with the homeless in dublin , some of you may be familiar with him but many others may not as he dosent seek celebrity for his charity like many other irish people .
    I've seen him get attacked here all right for being a "do-gooder".

• Advertisement
Advertisement