Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beggars in the city centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I do give money to beggars when ever i am in town (not very often) as long as they are irish i don't mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Absurdum wrote: »
    semi-decent vehicles
    Well that makes a change from the usual mercs/beemers... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Dudess wrote: »
    I've seen him get attacked here all right for being a "do-gooder".

could be because of the gang he rolls with, being a priest and all that

I do give money to beggars when ever i am in town (not very often) as long as they are irish i don't mind :)
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What are these beggers begging for?

Ireland isn't that bad that people can't afford food especially with our great welfare system.

These people are begging for drink or drug money and the Romas beg to generate EXTRA income - their are very few geniune cases in my opinion if any at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Well that makes a change from the usual mercs/beemers... :pac:

lol they have an E200 as it happens, it's a 99 reg though so it's obviously beneath a squire like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I would like to mention peter mc ferry who works with the homeless in dublin , some of you may be familiar with him but many others may not as he dosent seek celebrity for his charity like many other irish people .

Before and after every budget day he'll be on every radio station
    For a man who doesn't seek celebrity he is well able to use the national media

It's a talent he has and can use it so fair play
    Don't say he stays in the background though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I utterly right out REFUSE to give money to anyone begging for it on the streets, be it a homeless person, a "homeless" person or an organization trying to help homeless or less fortunate.

Not only have I know idea where that money is going to go but I don't know whether its going to have positive or negative effects on the people.

Instead, I get out there and work with volunteer organizations and get my hands dirty. I give my time and effort and know that I'm actually helping someone with something, instead of throwing a euro or a dollar at someone which could end up going into a drug dealer's pocket! Em, no thanks!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What are these beggers begging for?

Ireland isn't that bad that people can't afford food especially with our great welfare system.
    Do a bit of reading up on the circumstances that can lead to homelessness - mental illness is one; another group is estranged fathers.
    These people are begging drink or drug money and the Romas beg to generate income - their are very few geniune cases in my opinion if any at all.
    There either are or there aren't - opinion doesn't come into it.

How ironic Ireland is known as such a charitable nation. Even more ironic: right now, we Irish are looking to others for a handout with our metaphorical begging bowl...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Quick bit of googling found this: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2255/how-much-money-do-beggars-make Granted, it's a few years old, but it points out that at the upper end of the scale, a couple of hundred quid per day isn't unusual earnings for a beggar. I also have a vague recollection of a documentary about the Roma (...not Romanians...) which placed their incomes at approx. 30k per person. Tax free too! I can't back this up with any links though.. Personally, I can't stand being pestered by Roma, or any other in-yer-face beggars. Giving them money is out of the question. I hate coming to conclusions about entire ethnic groups and all that, but after working as a pharmacist for several years I've spent nearly as much time stopping the Roma from robbing the pharmacy blind as I have dispensing. Culture of thieving beggars if you ask me. One fella I would have given a few euro to though, used to sit on the pavement in Ranelagh, reading a book and minding his own business. Never once asked for money. I think he just had a wee sign saying "homeless please help". Or maybe I just spent a year throwing euros in some lad's coffee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Before and after every budget day he'll be on every radio station
    For a man who doesn't seek celebrity he is well able to use the national media

It's a talent he has and can use it so fair play
    Don't say he stays in the background though

I dont think he does it for self promotion he is a real charity worker as far as i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Never give them money. Heard two of them arguing at the ATM across from the Olympia a few weeks ago. The woman was shouting at the man because he was hogging the space for longer than he should have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Jesus the weather is horrendous. Imagine having nowhere to sleep tonight? Its so sad.

I dont think he does it for self promotion he is a real charity worker as far as i can see

I'm not questioning the man's motives and I'm sure he is genuine

He has a talent for presenting views on radio and TV, that's all I'm saying.
    If he didn't, somebody else would be doing this and few would know his name

He is very well known across Ireland.
    And he'll be on every radio station next Budget Day

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Absurdum wrote: »
    I know the Roma family who live a few doors down from me don't send their children to school, I've seen them begging around Dublin several times. I also know that their large TV and semi-decent vehicles suggest that they aren't exactly living in poverty.

Don't happen to live around Artane do ya? That seems to be the place where a lot of Roma live. Nice area too.

I know a few people who've often gone "tappin'" when they wanted a bit of extra cash for drink, drugs or just for the hell of it. They can make much more than minimum wage anyway.

Funny story, I once gave a few coppers to a beggar in town. He looked at the measly alms and handed them back to me. Apparently it wasn't worth the effort of putting it into his pocket. Never again.

Also, as someone who's in town often, I can tell you that I notice maybe twice or three times as many people begging in the run up to Christmas.

• Advertisement

Heard two of them arguing at the ATM across from the Olympia a few weeks ago. The woman was shouting at the man because he was hogging the space for longer than he should have

Never got this.
    Are they hoping for a crisp €20 note.
    And it is intimidating to have someone beside you an ATM.

Don't happen to live around Artane do ya? That seems to be the place where a lot of Roma live. Nice area too.

I used to live in Artane, it certainly is a nice area.
    The Roma often called to our front door. I just handed a card which was difficult to read and tbh, I didn't try too hard to understand it. Sent them on their way.
    Never came across this elsewhere in Dublin

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I was downtown with a friend once - we saw a beggar sitting down holding a plastic cup. My friend took a fiver out of his pocket, dropped it at the beggars feet - his eyes light up, but my friend picks it up and walks on. Cuntish thing to do but damn funny :)

It's not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I hate when beggars hang around ATMs or ticket machines etc just when you are at your most vulnerable and with your wallet or coins out on public display.

I don't hesitate to threaten them with the cops if they don't back down and it usually sends them flying. Do it in a loud voice and kick up a fuss and it works wonders.

I don't have either the time nor the money for hucksters of any nationality or cause, professional, voluntary or otherwise.

The romas usually get similar treatment with plenty of invective.........I find the old women the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

This guy has the right idea :D

Never got this.
    Are they hoping for a crisp €20 note.
    And it is intimidating to have someone beside you an ATM.

Yeah they're giving you the guilt trip at the ATM. Trying to make me feel bad for taking out my hard earned money? Well **** that.

I tell them "Not a hope" if asked. They've got some cheek and it pisses me off

• Advertisement

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Cuntish thing to do
    Y
    but damn funny :)
    N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

just thought i would add my 2c worth, a few people were saying why should people beg with our great social welfare system, how well do those people understand our system, not everyone gets social welfare you have to prove you have been in ireland for at least two years with some tie to the region you are in - also you have to have an address to claim social welfare and you cant use a homeless hostel address- makes great sense huh?

Do a bit of reading up on the circumstances that can lead to homelessness - mental illness is one; another group is estranged fathers.

I was talking about beggers and these people arent begging for food, they're begging to feed their addictions whether is drugs and/or alcohol. Knowing that an estranged father is now homeless with an alcohol addiction doesn't change the fact that it's pointless giving them money cause it's just going to be wasted.
    There either are or there aren't - opinion doesn't come into it.

How ironic Ireland is known as such a charitable nation. Even more ironic: right now, we Irish are looking to others for a handout with our metaphorical begging bowl...

I am charitable, I give to the third world and like many other Irish people we don't want to see our money wasted on some smack when our goverment already helps these people.

Yeah they're giving you the guilt trip at the ATM. Trying to make me feel bad for taking out my hard earned money? Well **** that.

I tell them "Not a hope" if asked. They've got some cheek and it pisses me off
    I'm sure the guilt just eats you up all right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Gave some euros to a guy with a cup in Dublin one night as felt sorry for him. Looked in the cup & he had about €30 in change in there. Doubt its a days loot but dunno how long he'd been sitting there but not bad takings in this day & age. Very reluctant to do so again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

doolox wrote: »
    I hate when beggars hang around ATMs or ticket machines etc just when you are at your most vulnerable and with your wallet or coins out on public display.

I don't hesitate to threaten them with the cops if they don't back down and it usually sends them flying. Do it in a loud voice and kick up a fuss and it works wonders.

I don't have either the time nor the money for hucksters of any nationality or cause, professional, voluntary or otherwise.

The romas usually get similar treatment with plenty of invective.........I find the old women the worst.

I dont really know how to respond to this , it just really saddens me , you have the kind of " more , more more for me and fcuk the sick and needy " attitude .
    This is the awful attitude that more and more within this country have grown and its just sad.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I was talking about beggers and these people arent begging for food, they're begging to feed their addictions whether is drugs and/or alcohol. Knowing that an estranged father is now homeless with an alcohol addiction doesn't change the fact that it's pointless giving them money cause it's just going to be wasted.

I am charitable, I give to the third world and like many other Irish people we don't want to see our money wasted on some smack when our goverment already helps these people.
    I just think people can be too quick to judge - "Oh they're a junkie" and that's that. It really does depend on the individual. I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be scammers but I think it's a worrying and pack mentality to be overly cynical re beggars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

charity starts at home.

I'm sure the guilt just eats you up all right...

Is that how you have so many posts? Pointless sarcasm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

It's not funny.

There's a video on YouTube that I saw of some scumbag running up to a (Roma I think, can't remember) beggar and farting in her face. All his scumbag mates laughed too. They ARE people too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

I dont really know how to respond to this , it just really saddens me , you have the kind of " more , more more for me and fcuk the sick and needy " attitude .
    This is the awful attitude that more and more within this country have grown and its just sad.

Thankfully I know very few people who would not give a few euro to someone who was genuinely in need of it! But theres just so many fraudsters literally trying to con you out of your hard earned money on our cities streets! This anti-begging attitude hasnt just developed for no reason over night.

The phrase, 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me' really springs to mind!

I don't think that's quite fair. Should we all give out money without questioning it? Why give your money to someone who is going to drink it / inject it and just start begging anew the next day? A portion of our taxes already funds the methadone scheme, mental health care provision, and hospital treatment for the chronic alcoholics. Why give more to them on the street? I'm not saying all the homeless are alcoholics or junkies, but the majority are. It makes more sense to give money to an organisation which will provide adequate care, not a bottle of buckie and a euro saver burger.

Roma woman came up to me in Drumcondra once, and gave me the usual incoherent babbling which roughly translates to 'give me money'.

I said no. She was carrying a child in her arms and was clearly heavily pregnant. I had seen her around for a few years and I asked 'you ALLEGEDLY can't afford one child, so why are you having another one?' She didn't seem to like (or understand) this so she started to raise her voice. Her friend came over to me and they tried the old Scientology double-team intimidation trick, which clearly worked wonders as I promptly went to the shop and bought myself a Twister with the heavy spare change in my pocket.

Plenty of homeless people aren't addicted to anything. Especially given how many people are unemployed and incapable of paying back debts, I daresay plenty are simply trying to survive. The attitude of 'oh well they're all junkies' is pretty typical Irish snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

22,928...sad isn't it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Some of the posts here are shocking and so depressing. I hope no-one you love ever ends up homeless and relying on some **** spare change.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    charity starts at home.
    Donations to the community centre versus donations to survivors of earthquake in Pakistan - I'll take option two please Bob.

Donations to the community centre versus donations to survivors of earthquake in Pakistan - I'll take option two please Bob.

Floods in pakistan - haiti earthquake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Romanian woman called into my house begging a couple of years ago, I told her to **** off, I went and had a look outside from the upstairs window to make sure there weren't any more of them around and who do I see but the Romanian Aul one hopping into a Merc & driving off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

IMF is going to make so many more people homeless

Children begging just breaks my heart :( so sad

• Advertisement

Yes.

123balltv wrote: »
    IMF is going to make so many more people homeless

Children begging just breaks my heart :( so sad

You're right it is sad. But if you give them money, surelv their ma's only going to send them out again the next day to get more.

Yes.

Nice easy +juan for ye there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

spdmrphy wrote: »
    You're right it is sad. But if you give them money, surelv their ma's only going to send them out again the next day to get more.

Yeah 'spdmrphy' its tragic I thank God for my good Parents
    these poor children never asked to be born to scum, disgusting Parents I've seen them in town taking money of the Kids.
    I never give money just a caring word and a cup of hot chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I find it disgusting to see moronic Irish people giving money to disgusting Romanian beggars. Makes me sick.

I find it disgusting when people can't tell the difference between Romanians and Roma, but the Roma beggars are ****ing annoying. No, I don't give a **** that you have five children to feed and there's a law against making children beg so it's reported to the guards you are.

One time a Roma kid came up to me to beg, but he quickly backed off when he saw I had a live snake with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Demonique wrote: »
    One time a Roma kid came up to me to beg, but he quickly backed off when he saw I had a live snake with me

As you do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Go I...

I don't always give to a beggar, and never to a Roma. However I've never looked down my nose at someone begging.

I'd a mate who suffered Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from experiences in Lebanon. At the time the Defence Forces didn't have the safety nets in place for soldier affected like it has now.

Joe died homeless on the streets of Dublin. One of the last times I seen him was begging in Templebar.

There but for the grace of God go I...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Demonique wrote: »

Moe Sislack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

careymary wrote: »
    just thought i would add my 2c worth, a few people were saying why should people beg with our great social welfare system, how well do those people understand our system, not everyone gets social welfare you have to prove you have been in ireland for at least two years with some tie to the region you are in - also you have to have an address to claim social welfare and you cant use a homeless hostel address- makes great sense huh?

A beggar who used to "work" outside the car park in Drury Street scammed €400 out of a local businesswoman a few years ago. She had befriended him and would often give him a few euro in the evenings when she went to collect her car. He told her the same spiel about not being able to get SW as he had no fixed address and asked her for the money so that he could get accomodation so that he could get SW. I told her not to do it but she did anyway. The very next day after receiving the money he was back on his pitch - and every day after. He became openly hostile and abusive to the very woman who had given him the money even though she never asked him why he was still on the street.

There's a female professional beggar who "works" in Johnson's Court (the pedestrian lane between Clarendon Street and Grafton Street) outside the side entrance to the church. She happens to own lots of property just off Patrick Street in The Coombe. The woman has made a fortune from a lifetime of begging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Im sure many of you will be familiar with the young lad who begs on henry st near the jervis st shopping centre, its at an intersection there. Me heart breaks everytime i see him but theres only so much i can do .
    Sometimes when i think i have it tough i often think of the millions around the world who have it a whole lot worse, after all im typing in front of a fire with the rain pelting of the window , i have it lucky after all

I'm sorry to break it you but he is in fact not homeless, he gets the 27 bus and lives in moatview.

It really annoys me to see him there putting on that stupid poor me face:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

As said earlier, wouldn't give to roma gypsies. After seeing one of them in a merc eating McDonalds I said never again.

I always give food to beggars, just watch the disappointment in their faces. I actually bought a lad a cup of tea after he asked me for money. "Spare a euro for a cup of tea buuuuuud". I will go one better here is some tea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement