Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beggars in the city centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Johnn, in my previous employment I worked with psychiatric patients, with some of the comments you have made...perhaps you might avail of their services. The Roma are only here to beg, they don't come here to work. 400,000 Irish people now find themselves out of work, to label (replace with slander) all of them scroungers....you make me sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Yeah they're all scammers, I suppose the heroin users are just superb method actors, some people in this thread need to grow up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

johnn wrote: »
    Yes. Do you not agree with that :confused: look at the state the dole-scroungers have left the country in cause they all think they are entitled to a bit of free money while us honest people do a full days work :rolleyes:

there are 2 ways to give u a answer. firstly you are either clueless and dont know real issue is because of banks , property dev or u are just looking for attention. I would guess u random statements making no sense are just meant to wind people up. Why dont u just find a hobby johnn, if iam incorrect and this is not the cause , u need to get some cop on my friend and job or no job that is maybe even harder for u to find.

just another point in reading this topic, unless freeze ass off and have nothing i dont think any us with resonable standard of living can judge anyone else. And from my point view is so sad see people , yes "people" who live in such way in this day in age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

There are genuine homeless people out there. They deserve to be treated with dignity. There was an English homeless man in my hometown. I would stop give him cash and sometimes food and gloves/Scarf etc. I would sit and chat with him. He had come from sad circumstances. Childrens homes in England. A friend of mine who had a chalet on his land eventually took him in and let him sleep there. He would come and go. He was eventually sleeping on the beach in this town. and he was set on fire in his sleeping bag and almost died. He survived but a few years back he died from pneumonia.
    I was downtown with a friend once - we saw a beggar sitting down holding a plastic cup. My friend took a fiver out of his pocket, dropped it at the beggars feet - his eyes light up, but my friend picks it up and walks on. **** thing to do but damn funny
    This is disgusting. If a friend of mine did that i would personally disown him on the spot

And from my point view is so sad see people , yes "people" who live in such way in this day in age.

Vagrants. Look back throught this whole thread and I'm the only one constantly presenting a rational point of view, not just pretending to be a martyr or "friend" of these filthy vagrants, but the fact is it costs billions to allow dole scroungers their lie-on in the morning cause they don't fancy trekking out to a job in the cold weather like the rest of us honest workers, & it probably costs nothing to run these little homeless hostels and keeps them from harassing us on our way home from a hard days work after a few a afterwork pints perhaps with their sob stories that we couldn't give a shit about e.g. their kids are starving etc. etc.

Starting from that guy commenting on the TV3 show without actually watching it onwards, the level of ignorance on this thread is astounding :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Vagrants. Look back throught this whole thread and I'm the only one constantly presenting a rational point of view, not just pretending to be a martyr or "friend" of these filthy vagrants, but the fact is it costs billions to allow dole scroungers their lie-on in the morning cause they don't fancy trekking out to a job in the cold weather like the rest of us honest workers, & it probably costs nothing to run these little homeless hostels and keeps them from harassing us on our way home from a hard days work after a few a afterwork pints perhaps with their sob stories that we couldn't give a shit about e.g. their kids are starving etc. etc.

Starting from that guy commenting on the TV3 show without actually watching it onwards, the level of ignorance on this thread is astounding :rolleyes:

did u not read one comments above johnn .

ill paste it for u

"Johnn, in my previous employment I worked with psychiatric patients, with some of the comments you have made...perhaps you might avail of their services. The Roma are only here to beg, they don't come here to work. 400,000 Irish people now find themselves out of work, to label (replace with slander) all of them scroungers....you make me sick!"

u make me sick too.

barrackali wrote: »
    Johnn, in my previous employment I worked with psychiatric patients

Cheers for your life story mate, now back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You shouldnt give money to people begging.

save up all these coppers / notes that you are tempted to give them and give it to Focus ireland / The Simon Community or SVP. That way the money will be directed postively were necessary.

Beggin is a scurge and giving just propagates it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

When I was still in school I used buy a sandwich and a coffee for the homeless man I'd see in town in the mornings. He was always very grateful and we'd have a quick chat before I had to catch my bus to school.

I wouldn't give homeless people money but I've stopped a couple of times to give some cigarettes.

One time however I was disgusted. There's a bridge in Cork city that one man sits across during the busy part of the day with his dog. You can't miss him or walk past him without being asked if you've spare change. One day I had just bought loads of treats for my dogs and when I passed him I decided to give a few to him for his dogs. I stopped and gave him a bag of my treats and he looked at me as if I had just ran up licked his face and threw a bag of shoite at him! He actually had the cheek to say "what am I supposed to do with this? Have you no money?" :mad: Cheeky btard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dublin beggars need to be a bit more creative.

A few years ago I was standing in Victoria rail station (London) when a man came up to me holding two 50p coins. He said "do you have a pound coin I can have?". Happy to swap, I handed it over. "Thanks" he said, and walked off.

I was so impressed at his audacity and verbal precision I almost clapped.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

look at the state the dole-scroungers have left the country in cause they all think they are entitled to a bit of free money while us honest people do a full days work
    It isint the welfare state that got is into the mess we are in. It the Banks, Builders and Greed that got us here. Homelessness is a real issue that will only get worse as we see more and more people not able to pay back mortgages in the next few years. There will always be scammers. On the dole and faking being homeless. But they are the minority. We need as a society to pull together and treat people with dignity and respect. I have never been in reciept of welfare. I am professional woman in my 30's with a family and career. And i would get down on my knees and talk to a homeless man woman or child and try and help. Maybe they would scam me. But i believe the scammers are the minority.

NoDice wrote: »
    When I was still in school I used buy a sandwich and a coffee for the homeless man I'd see in town in the mornings. He was always very grateful and we'd have a quick chat before I had to catch my bus to school.

I wouldn't give homeless people money but I've stopped a couple of times to give some cigarettes.

One time however I was disgusted. There's a bridge in Cork city that one man sits across during the busy part of the day with his dog. You can't miss him or walk past him without being asked if you've spare change. One day I had just bought loads of treats for my dogs and when I passed him I decided to give a few to him for his dogs. I stopped and gave him a bag of my treats and he looked at me as if I had just ran up licked his face and threw a bag of shoite at him! He actually had the cheek to say "what am I supposed to do with this? Have you no money?" :mad: Cheeky btard.

did u ever hear the saying, dont paint us all with same brush in relation to homeless person.
    i would say this maybe applies here.

Yes. Do you not agree with that :confused: look at the state the dole-scroungers have left the country in cause they all think they are entitled to a bit of free money while us honest people do a full days work :rolleyes:

Most of the "dole-scroungers" are people who have lost their positions in an honest job and are either past the age to renew their skills, can't get another job with their current skills etc.

Most people on the dole detest being on the dole and would prefer to be out working but for some it's impossible. Some have even volunteered for community work just to keep them active and in a routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I never give money to beggars on the street, I used to occasionally when I just started working and if I had a bit of spare change I'd sometimes drop it in and think nothing of it. But now I've mastered barely taking any notice of beggars.

There are a 'family' of roma who strategically place themselves around busy spots in the mornings, they switch it up quite a lot and take turns in having the baby for the sympathy vote..... Alley between The George and Dublin Castle, outside Dunnes on George's Street, Bridge at Heuston station to name a few of the places I've spotted them.

Give it their best "pleeeeeeeease help sorry" when everyone walks past with cup outstretched and it makes me sick.....these ****ers live about 8 doors down from me in a cosy looking house and on my walk home from work I'd regularly see them coming back from centra with bags of groceries.

Deportation ftw.

did u ever hear the saying, dont paint us all with same brush in relation to homeless person.
    i would say this maybe applies here.

I wouldn't think in a particular way about people depending on one particular experience, I'd agree with you. Just sharing one positive and one negative experience. That being said, it's also the only negative experience I've had with a homeless person. :)

maximoose wrote: »
    I never give money to beggars on the street, I used to occasionally when I just started working and if I had a bit of spare change I'd sometimes drop it in and think nothing of it. But now I've mastered barely taking any notice of beggars.

There are a 'family' of roma who strategically place themselves around busy spots in the mornings, they switch it up quite a lot and take turns in having the baby for the sympathy vote..... Alley between The George and Dublin Castle, outside Dunnes on George's Street, Bridge at Heuston station to name a few of the places I've spotted them.

Give it their best "pleeeeeeeease help sorry" when everyone walks past with cup outstretched and it makes me sick.....these ****ers live about 8 doors down from me in a cosy looking house and on my walk home from work I'd regularly see them coming back from centra with bags of groceries.

Deportation ftw.

yes there will be cases but i think most people know that this is rare.
    and to those on streets they will pay the most as makes it even harder for make to get anything.

just a thought if in doubt give food ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

A lot of Xenophobes in this thread, not all Romas are automatically scammers :rolleyes: Some of them can actually good honest people, which is more than can be said for majority of the people on the dole in ireland ATM bleeding our country dry.

no! all roma are scum! in every country, feck this PC shít! I dont like to pigeon hole people, but these cnuts!! ive heard it from polish people and romanian people who have had to deal with them alot longer than us! they should be all fcked out!

I drink in Dublin on the weekend.. and ive learned to despise them, ive seen how the men women and ESPECIALLY the children act.. SCUM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I hate Roma scammers that deliberately put on an act to look for pity.

One woman would frequent Eyre Sq in Galway at the taxi rank, she would deliberately try to struggle up the incline in a wheelchair with her hand out begging from drivers and customers, when she reached the top of the hill she would roll down to the bottom and repeat this act. The same woman was seen around a supermarket car parks, she would purposely get into blind spots of drivers trying to maneuver and then get "hit" so she could make a claim. (This was on the Galway forum)

There is another one on Lower Georges St Dunlaoghaire that would be seen shivering on the ground with no shoes begging, people have have left shoes and clothes for this guy and he refuses to wear them.

Not too long ago the Sunday World had an article on one double jointed scumbag that would drag his feet in crutches through rush hour traffic, the same guy would be seen on his mobile phone walking away normally holding his crutches.

I cannot understand why these people are not rounded up by the Gardai and deported immediately. They are worse than feral pigeons and serve no purpose in Irish society..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Did you get the memo? Roma does not equal Romanian.

Yeah, my bad sorry.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    no! all roma are scum! in every country, feck this PC shít! I dont like to pigeon hole people, but these cnuts!! ive heard it from polish people and romanian people who have had to deal with them alot longer than us! they should be all fcked out!

I drink in Dublin on the weekend.. and ive learned to despise them, ive seen how the men women and ESPECIALLY the children act.. SCUM!

So you don't agree that dole scroungers are the bigger problem :confused:

• Advertisement

Most of the "dole-scroungers" are people who have lost their positions in an honest job and are either past the age to renew their skills, can't get another job with their current skills etc.

Most people on the dole detest being on the dole and would prefer to be out working but for some it's impossible. Some have even volunteered for community work just to keep them active and in a routine.

Yeah right, you can see there are plenty of shops around still hiring & there was recently the opening of Terminal 2 in the airport as well as several shops in Jervis st. I bet all these people who would "Love" to work were top of the queue for these position :rolleyes: Yeah right they were probably in bed past midday or maybe got up and watched "This Morning" whilst us honest workers were out at the crack of dawn in the freezing cold waiting for the bus to do a full day's work.

What ever happened to the government making the dole scroungers at least prove they were willing to work by offering a community service to the rest of us and make some use of the wasters. by doing work such as cleaning up the streets for me and my colleagues so at least we see our hard earned tax is actually doing some good.

These dole scroungers are a much bigger problem to society than beggars, who are pretty similar to litter in a way I suppose.

Yeah right, you can see there are plenty of shops around still hiring & there was recently the opening of Terminal 2 in the airport as well as several shops in Jervis st. I bet all these people who would "Love" to work were top of the queue for these position :rolleyes: Yeah right they were probably in bed past midday or maybe got up and watched "This Morning" whilst us honest workers were out at the crack of dawn in the freezing cold waiting for the bus to do a full day's work.

What ever happened to the government making the dole scroungers at least prove they were willing to work by offering a community service to the rest of us and make some use of the wasters. by doing work such as cleaning up the streets for me and my colleagues so at least we see our hard earned tax is actually doing some good.

These dole scroungers are a much bigger problem to society than beggars, who are pretty similar to litter in a way I suppose.

Trying not to get pulled in by the troll but can't help it as I know so many people affected by the jobs losses and redundancies over the past few years and I know many others have. Imagine a 50 year old fella whose done nothing but carpentry his whole life trying to get a job in Swamp? Doesn't happen. Also these people have been paying their taxes for the years they were working and this is what they are getting back.

:mad: Fuck it.

I'm prob going to get banned for this but you specifically, sir, are a complete and utter ignorant dickhead. Worth it.

I'm prob going to get banned for this but you specifically, sir, are a complete and utter ignorant dickhead. Worth it.

Very Classy :rolleyes: If you can't add to the intelligent discussion then don't post at all.

So Carpenters should get free money cause there is no carpentry work going and they are too good to work in a shop like the rest of the honest workers out there working long hours in retail etc. away from their families out in the freezing cold at xmas :confused:

And as I said I could accept the dole scroungers, such as your mates, getting their money when they were going to be humiliated in order to get it by having to clean the streets for me & my colleagues and pick up shit etc. I bet you would have seen a load of people miraculously return to work if they had of brought that in. The one sensible idea this government came up with and they didn't even use it :rolleyes:

But back to beggars, some people seemed determined to drag this discussion off topic with personal agendas against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lornakg

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I would like to mention peter mc ferry who works with the homeless in dublin , some of you may be familiar with him but many others may not as he dosent seek celebrity for his charity like many other irish people .

well said, peter mc verry is very kind to homeless young lads, they get a bed, breakfast and an evening meal for about 60 euro a wk but unfortunately with no government funding, he does not have many places to offer.
    While those of u who are sitting in your warm homes passing judgement on those less fortunate than yourselves, remember, we are all only a few paycheques away from homelessness...
    Treat people as u yourself would like to be treated.
    Merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Imagine a 50 year old fella whose done nothing but carpentry his whole life trying to get a job in Swamp? Doesn't happen. Also these people have been paying their taxes for the years

Fair enough they were paying taxes, but at the same time, if they want work but aren't interested in anything but their old job, then tough ****. My oul fella was working for 38 years. Since he lost his job, he's worked anything he can get. Some people don't sit waiting for money to be handed to him, unlike your "hypothetical" carpenter.

Reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

And as I said I could accept the dole scroungers, such as your mates, getting their money when they were going to be humiliated in order to get it by having to clean the streets for me & my colleagues and pick up shit etc

My daddy's friends work in the county council and do this work most days - they have a humiliating job don't they :( Also - wouldn't the dole men have been working for "free" which would have put the half the county council out of work which would have led to more people being put out of a job... which would have created more dole scroungers - that would have been a terrible idea which would really back fire - not such a good idea was it really

discus wrote: »
    Fair enough they were paying taxes, but at the same time, if they want work but aren't interested in anything but their old job, then tough ****. My oul fella was working for 38 years. Since he lost his job, he's worked anything he can get. Some people don't sit waiting for money to be handed to him, unlike your "hypothetical" carpenter.

Finally some sense being written on here. To be honest it is the older people like the people in their 50's who have lost their work that annoy me the most, old farts that feel as if they are entitled to the good times they experienced during 90's and aren't willing to accept the current situation and work in the positions that are currently on offer to them that are not necessarily in their preferred field , let alone provide a community service for the dole such as sweeping the street/ cleaning up shit etc that would at least prove a point that they are willing to get out of bed and work as they are all at pains to stress "We are willing to work.....but we won't do THAT" :rolleyes:

I patiently await dole scroungers coming on here again asking me to meet them in person to fight them & telling me they hope I lose my job as they are "honest" like the rest of us and have fallen on hard times. They are hypocrites wishing misfortune on me & thugs who only know how to fight. These are the celtic tiger spawn who were earning 60,000 for mixing cement & haven't the brains to comprehend that's over so want free money. Then have the balls to say that the real heroes of this recession, us honest workers, BETTER HOPE their dole isn't cut or they will have NO CHOICE but to break into our houses and steal from us.

Really classy people these dole scroungers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    My daddy's friends work in the county council and do this work most days - they have a humiliating job don't they :( Also - wouldn't the dole men have been working for "free" which would have put the half the county council out of work which would have led to more people being put out of a job... which would have created more dole scroungers - that would have been a terrible idea which would really back fire - not such a good idea was it really

Firstly half the county council don't clean the streets.
    Secondly dublin streets are flithy and getting people on welfare to clean them will make the place look nice while giving people on welfare more confidence.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Firstly half the county council don't clean the streets.
    Secondly dublin streets are flithy and getting people on welfare to clean them will make the place look nice while giving people on welfare more confidence.

......and at least let us honest workers know that they're not cosy in their beds or maybe having a fry-up whilst we freeze our arses off at the bus stop on the way to work trying to actually keep this country going . Yet apparently to most people on boards think these people are Martyrs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Finally some sense being written on here. To be honest it is the older people like the people in their 50's who have lost their work that annoy me the most, old farts that feel as if they are entitled to the good times they experienced during 90's and aren't willing to accept the current situation and work in the positions that are currently on offer to them that are not necessarily in their preferred field , let alone provide a community service for the dole such as sweeping the street/ cleaning up shit etc that would at least prove a point that they are willing to get out of bed and work as they are all at pains to stress "We are willing to work.....but we won't do THAT" :rolleyes:

I patiently await dole scroungers coming on here again asking me to meet them in person to fight them & telling me they hope I lose my job as they are "honest" like the rest of us and have fallen on hard times. They are hypocrites wishing misfortune on me & thugs who only know how to fight. These are the celtic tiger spawn who were earning 60,000 for mixing cement & haven't the brains to comprehend that's over so want free money. Then have the balls to say that the real heroes of this recession, us honest workers, BETTER HOPE their dole isn't cut or they will have NO CHOICE but to break into our houses and steal from us.

well the day you go into topman or jack jones and meet paddy the 50 year old carpenter who doesn't have a notion how to use the till you'll be so happy too see that finally these old farts are finally getting of the dole and picking up these jobs you speak of.. or when you go into xtravision to buy a movie for christmas day and ask for advise and he tells you that he hasn't watched a film since he was in shorts...

these men that you call old farts aren't suitable to work in your modern shops that you find in the shopping centers in dublin city centre and such that you speak off.. sure do you expect them to relocate to the city too when their at it - because they'd have too because these jobs aren't to be found down the country here...

times might be mighty in the big smoke but there's **** all opportunities for any work for these men - and trust me a lot of these men would work on the roads and jobs like these if they were getting a day's wage for it...

but making them do it for the sake of it to get the dole is a disgrace.. as well as putting the actual people who do this job out of work too... which would only add to the problem because then where would these people get a job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

well the day you go into topman or jack jones and meet paddy the 50 year old carpenter who doesn't have a notion how to use the till you'll be so happy too see that finally these old farts are finally getting of the dole and picking up these jobs you speak of.. or when you go into xtravision to buy a movie for christmas day and ask for advise and he tells you that he hasn't watched a film since he was in shorts...

these men that you call old farts aren't suitable to work in your modern shops that you find in the shopping centers in dublin city centre and such that you speak off.. sure do you expect them to relocate to the city too when their at it - because they'd have too because these jobs aren't to be found down the country here...

times might be mighty in the big smoke but there's **** all opportunities for any work for these men - and trust me a lot of these men would work on the roads and jobs like these if they were getting a day's wage for it...

but making them do it for the sake of it to get the dole is a disgrace.. as well as putting the actual people who do this job out of work too... which would only add to the problem because then where would these people get a job..

Don't fire the county council cleaners and let people on welfare do 2-3 day community service type work a week - It will be like a deregulation of the street cleaners like we done with the taxis, instead of having a few medium paid street cleanersand dirty streets, we'll have many less paid cleaners and really clean streets.

Honestly to see some of the scum on welfare like i did today on a bus would make anybody sick that tax money is actually paying for this anti-social behaviour for lazy runts who never worked a day in their lives.

And as for beggars, the roma live in houses and are getting welfare and then the use their children to beg and steal as extra income which is sick. and as for irish beggars, i see a lot of I'm hungry signs now but honestly we must have the fattest beggars in the world and a lot of them actually just wear crap clothes to beg then change into their top clobber after "work".

And as for the alco/druggy homeless, it's hard to have sympathy when they're asking for a euro for a hostel but nyet they have a six pack of beer and more than likely strung out too, I find myself lately asking why they didnt use that money to go to a hostel instead.

Can they not all like farm or something then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

So you don't agree that dole scroungers are the bigger problem :confused:

somebody has a short memory...............

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055854955

btw johnn why were you off swanning about the UK when you were on the dole, surely you should have been cleaning the streets for us "honest hardworking taxpayers"
    after all you're the one that's so concerned that people should be putting in a day's work for their dole..........in your own words below

"and at least let us honest workers know that they're not cosy in their beds or maybe having a fry-up whilst we freeze our arses off at the bus stop on the way to work trying to actually keep this country going"

but not to worry, sure it's totally understandable now you're a member of the fully paid up hard working upright taxpaying brigade and don't have to worry about such mundane concerns as what to say to the social welfare

"should i give another reason other than visiting family away as that would constitute as "not being available to work" maybe say i was sick on the friday?

carolmon wrote: »
    somebody has a short memory...............

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055854955

btw johnn why were you off swanning about the UK when you were on the dole, surely you should have been cleaning the streets for us "honest hardworking taxpayers"
    after all you're the one that's so concerned that people should be putting in a day's work for their dole..........in your own words below

"and at least let us honest workers know that they're not cosy in their beds or maybe having a fry-up whilst we freeze our arses off at the bus stop on the way to work trying to actually keep this country going"

but not to worry, sure it's totally understandable now you're a member of the fully paid up hard working upright taxpaying brigade and don't have to worry about such mundane concerns as what to say to the social welfare

"should i give another reason other than visiting family away as that would constitute as "not being available to work" maybe say i was sick on the friday?

So I am now being criticised for bettering myself and actually getting myself a Job. :rolleyes: Proving there is work out there if you want it which has been my point all along.

Back then the government didn't even announce that scheme so its a non-issue, they announced it recently then backtracked on it.

The only thing that post proved is that you have no life :cool:

Again it should be clear to the mods here that people are carrying out personal agenda against me rather than discussing the topic at hand.

So I am now being criticised for bettering myself and actually getting myself a Job. :rolleyes:

Back the the government didn't even announce that scheme so its a non-issue, they announced it recently then backtracked on it.

hilarious

• Advertisement

hilarious

Seriously you went through almost a year of posts to get your paws on that, the only reason I would scroll through a rake load of posts would be if I was looking for a girl's pic on "Know Your Nerds" :cool:

Seriously you went through almost a year of posts to get your paws on that, the only reason I would scroll through a rake load of posts would be if I was looking for a girl's pic on "Know Your Nerds" :cool:

took all of about 60 seconds, it's on the 1st page of "threads started" under your user name

anyway enough about me

don't you need to get back to your trolling???

Its a topic I feel passionately about man.

shows your understanding of rural life in a nutshell - and as it's being pointed out here in this thread - your sir are a hypocrite

shows your understanding of rural life in a nutshell - and as it's being pointed out here in this thread - your sir are a hypocrite

You said they have no shops down there are at all so how has anything changed then with the recession is what i am trying to understand :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Just passed three gardai outside that newsagent on Eden Quay. They were helping a guy who was begging and had his face beaten, was robbed and bleeding and a lady was giving a statement to the Garda about what she'd seen. Depravity. Sickening beyond comprehension.
    (first Boards.ie post via me new mobile)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Started seeing a bloke around town who i recognised from years back..me and him used to hang around together in the early 90's.

Anyhoo he's begging beside the ATM in O'connell st so i go over and have a chat with him,after afew seconds he recognised me and we chatted about old times,i could hear from his voice he was on heroin,the drawl is very distinctive.
    Turns out he's been working for a furniture place owned by his brother,wrecked his knee when he dropped as wardrobe on it and couldnt work for a while.
    He went into hospital to get the knee operated on and contracted MRSA causing that they couldnt cure..eventually he couldnt afford the treatment so he stopped going,the knee was getting progressively worse so he was using crutches.
    He eventually got a job in a headshop which was burned down with his flat above it..bingo,he's on the streets.

He used to stay in his father's house when he could but the father's new girlfriend dissaproved and he started using heroin to cope with the rigours of sleeping rough and occasionaly in hostels(apparantly everything you own will be stolen on the first nite).

Last i saw of him he was pretty much incapable of walking and looked like death,he occasionaly made enough to score his gear and the rest was just a cycle of bumming around being moved on by the guards and occasionaly getting arrested for begging at ATMs..i very much doubt if he could survive the weather we've been having and i havnt seen him in a while.

This sort of thing can happen to anybody..its not a given that you'll end up using heroin or you might have a better family support network and you might not end up on the streets but it CAN happen.

As for the roma..they can go to bloody hell,there's not one of them who are actually homeless,they're shrewd and ruthless professional criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

MJRS wrote: »
    Do people really think beggars at ATMs want pfople to give them notes straight from their account? Surely they're just thinking that people at ATMs have their wallets and purses out anyway and might have some spare change for them while they're waiting..

They're trying to guilt people into handing over money.

Doesnt work, people go the ATM because they're out of money, so why would they have spare change for a beggar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Degsy wrote: »
    Started seeing a bloke around town who i recognised from years back..me and him used to hang around together in the early 90's.

Anyhoo he's begging beside the ATM in O'connell st so i go over and have a chat with him,after afew seconds he recognised me and we chatted about old times,i could hear from his voice he was on heroin,the drawl is very distinctive.
    Turns out he's been working for a furniture place owned by his brother,wrecked his knee when he dropped as wardrobe on it and couldnt work for a while.
    He went into hospital to get the knee operated on and contracted MRSA causing that they couldnt cure..eventually he couldnt afford the treatment so he stopped going,the knee was getting progressively worse so he was using crutches.
    He eventually got a job in a headshop which was burned down with his flat above it..bingo,he's on the streets.

He used to stay in his father's house when he could but the father's new girlfriend dissaproved and he started using heroin to cope with the rigours of sleeping rough and occasionaly in hostels(apparantly everything you own will be stolen on the first nite).

Last i saw of him he was pretty much incapable of walking and looked like death,he occasionaly made enough to score his gear and the rest was just a cycle of bumming around being moved on by the guards and occasionaly getting arrested for begging at ATMs..i very much doubt if he could survive the weather we've been having and i havnt seen him in a while.

This sort of thing can happen to anybody..its not a given that you'll end up using heroin or you might have a better family support network and you might not end up on the streets but it CAN happen.

As for the roma..they can go to bloody hell,there's not one of them who are actually homeless,they're shrewd and ruthless professional criminals.

I totally agree with you about the roma and most foreign beggars. There's a fella lately around the ha'penny bridge and Henry Street with no shoes trying the shaking feet ploy for sympathy. He's get slippers and socks in penneys for a fiver or second hand shoes in quite a few shops for a couple of quid. I've a DD to the local church for €15 quid a month and then very occasionally I'll give to a homeless person or someone collecting for Simon or Alone or Cancer or the Childrens hospitals. Cash is tight enough without giving to those who use sympathy to make a lazy living and then send the cash home through western union...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Just read most of your comments. May I ask you, what is your social status at present?
    What political party do you "believe" in?
    And what do think about what may have caused the homeless to be the way they are?

Also, what is your opinion on the bankers of the Republic of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

You are another head who has anger issues slating whoever you can. you are irish and like it or not you cant change that. what you said above sound like an adolescent rant to me! you have a big issue with the society of ireland. you have an issue with the fact the country has fallen. FALLEN! IRELAND HAS FALLEN. YEAH WHERE YOU ARE FROM HAS FALLEN! feeling sorry for youself is not going to make an ounce of difference. if you have something to make a difference then show us!!

discus wrote: »

That "hypothetical" carpenter is my father. And I didn't say he wasn't interested in anything else but their old job. If you're going to get personal here's a little back story: My father has put CVs into everything from fast food joints to clothes shops. He dislocated his shoulder through a fault of another younger worker on a scaffolding and lost his job as a foreman of a head building firm in Cork and was laid off before Christmas two years ago. My mum was a house wife as he made enough money for her to stay home with her kids. Since then he has worked in 3 factories on a four day 12 hour shift (which I'm not sure if you know tend to have a very high rollover of staff), a local bar and has done some building work regardless of his shoulder to get money in. He didn't go on the dole for a year nor did he sue or get insurance money - 1. out of pride and 2. out of respect for his co-workers in his old job. Since being on the dole my mum has got herself two jobs to keep money coming in to pay their mortgage.

I feel the need to defend them seeing as you guys think that it's all lazy do-nothings on the dole.

I was going to come on here today (admittedly excited that I wasn't actually banned from the endless entertainment I get from my favourite forum!) and apologise for singling you out as a dickhead. I rarely get sucked into the troll thing and rarely let myself get annoyed about random comments but you've gone a bit too far imo. Your comments just continue to be so single-minded despite the fact you've been in a tough situation yourself. It astounds me at how close-minded and ignorant you continue to choose to be, shows such a lack of respect.
    So Carpenters should get free money cause there is no carpentry work going and they are too good to work in a shop like the rest of the honest workers out there working long hours in retail etc. away from their families out in the freezing cold at xmas :confused:

But back to beggars, some people seemed determined to drag this discussion off topic with personal agendas against me.

It's more a personal agenda towards your attitude. I doubt anyone would have slated you if you weren't displaying such a blatant lack of compassion and arrogance on a delicate subject such as this.

Intelligent discussion you say yet you're implying here that people in the building area of work aren't willing to work out in the cold? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

/Facepalm
    So I am now being criticised for bettering myself and actually getting myself a Job. :rolleyes: Proving there is work out there if you want it which has been my point all along.

Back then the government didn't even announce that scheme so its a non-issue, they announced it recently then backtracked on it.

Again it should be clear to the mods here that people are carrying out personal agenda against me rather than discussing the topic at hand.

Yes there are jobs out there, I know a lot of people with two jobs out there (including myself). My point was it's harder for people to get a job if they lack the required skill set. One point: There are still kids coming out of schools and colleges and they will get hired first. They may not have the required skill set but most managers in high street shops are in their twenties generally. Most managers in their twenties may find it more of a challenge to train in a man in his fifties whose only experience with a till or with other people/fashion/etc was with a hammer, not even taking into consideration the challenge of being a manager to someone old enough to be your father. Most find it much easier to give the experience to younger workers.

Again it should be clear to you that if you're going to be so ignorant and rude on this subject you are only going to receive it back.
    took all of about 60 seconds, it's on the 1st page of "threads started" under your user name

anyway enough about me

High five!

Agreed. :D

Back to the OP's topic anyway. I'd think a lot of the Irish beggars would be people who either got sucked into the way of life on the streets or people who were well off, hit rock bottom financially for whatever reason and were too proud and then too late to ask for help. As I said in one of my first posts here, I'd often stop and give beggars cigs or buy a hot drink, heck I've even given a man dog treats(for his dog of course!). Most of them are simply grateful you took the time to stop and have a quick chat instead of putting your head down and hurry past them.

Any one watch the Late Late last night? There was a chairman (iirc) from SVP saying that calls for help have risen by 52% in the past year and that most of these calls are from families who were well off but were badly affected by the business cuts and redundancies amongst other things. He said they have 200 volunteers in Cork and another 150 waiting to be trained in and that most of these people have lost their own jobs and are doing this to get some fulfillment as well as a sense of a routine and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I always give a euro to the beggars & 2euro to the buskers I always check that I have handy loose change in my pocket before I go into town.I don't do it EVERY day (could'nt afford). It just makes ME feel better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I always give a euro to the beggars & 2euro to the buskers I always check that I have handy loose change in my pocket before I go into town.I don't do it EVERY day (could'nt afford). It just makes ME feel better

the smell of smugness is almost knocking me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

pmcmahon wrote: »
    the smell of smugness is almost knocking me out

make sure you always bring your smelling salts

• Advertisement
Advertisement