Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 Penalty for forgetting your Student Card at exams!!

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Yes people, it has arrived and is now enshrined in the UCD 'Breach of Examination Regulations' -- A €50 fine for those unlucky individuals who do not have a student card on their person during an exam. It turns out that Darth Hugh Brady and his sidekick Martin Butler (along with the other Vices), after being caught red handed squandering massive amounts of university funds on their own bank accounts, have run out of their stock of precious toilet rolls. It may seem that Brady prefers €50 notes rolled up neatly in the toilet roll dispensers of the University Lodge to your ordinary common paper towels. And what a better way to show contempt for students' money than for him to wipe it all off his bum, cackling like a true Sith as he does so.

On a serious note though, has UCD not yet realised that many students are in dire financial straits? Was our message not clear two weeks ago? I mean how much money has one really earned after doing a small bit of clerical work, like filling out a form? -- Hardly €50 I'd imagine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

actually ridiculous, as if we don't have enough to be stressing before the exam, not impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

On a serious not though, has UCD not yet realised that many students are in dire financial straits? Was our message not clear two weeks ago? I mean how much money has one really earned after doing a small bit of clerical work, like filling out a form? -- Hardly €50 I'd imagine.

I presume the reason they are doing is that ensure that everyone has their student card and really the cost is to ensure people have the card. You bring your card, no need to worry about your dire financial straits. I always thought it was odd that a person could take an exam in the first place without any form of identification. It would be very easy to get someone to do the exam for you once they memorised your student number and address.
    Lou45 wrote: »
    actually ridiculous, as if we don't have enough to be stressing before the exam, not impressed!!

If you are getting stressed by the thought of remembering to bring a credit card sized piece of plastic to an exam hall I think you have very little in your life to worry about.

Stick it in your wallet or purse and keep it there. The point of it is to verify your identity, its not ridiculous at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I presume the reason they are doing is that ensure that everyone has their student card and really the cost is to ensure people have the card. You bring your card, no need to worry about your dire financial straits. I always thought it was odd that a person could take an exam in the first place without any form of identification. It would be very easy to get someone to do the exam for you once they memorised your student number and address.

If you are getting stressed by the thought of remembering to bring a credit card sized piece of plastic to an exam hall I think you have very little in your life to worry about. The thing is, before an exam, people can be so up tight and nervous that it would only seem inevitable that a few people would forget to bring the card into the hall. It amount of the penalty IS ridiculous, I mean €30 to replace the card if you lost it at college - fair enough, but €50? And if someone is so desperate that they hired someone to do the exam for them would they really mind paying an extra €50 to stay in bed for the day?

Stick it in your wallet or purse and keep it there. The point of it is to verify your identity, its not ridiculous at all.

It seems that you HAVE to have your student card, not even a passport will do (that according to the University Obersver apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I said it before on here and i'll say it again, it's a stupidity tax, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It seems that you HAVE to have your student card, not even a passport will do (that according to the University Obersver apparently).

Well then bring your student card. We're all grown ups and have gotten this far in life. It's not that hard to remember a student card.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Well then bring your student card. We're all grown ups and have gotten this far in life. It's not that hard to remember a student card.

Of course it isn't hard but it's still a stupid amount to be charging nonetheless. €30 for replacing your student card if you misplaced it, fair enough, but €50?? When you're nervous and up tight before an exam, it'd be easy to forget your student card when your mind is entirely focused on the exam material.

Also, delta bravo made a point that the penalty might somehow stop people from sitting other people's exams but in fairness if a person is desperate enough to hire someone to do an exam for them, would they really care if they had to pay an extra €200-€300, besides even before the penalty was introduced I'm sure there had to be some other type of identity check performed by the invigilators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Your student card proves you are a student, your passport does not.
    Of course it isn't hard but it's still a stupid amount to be charging nonetheless. €30 for replacing your student card if you misplaced it, fair enough, but €50?? When you're nervous and up tight before an exam, it'd be easy to forget your student card when your mind is entirely focused on the exam material.

Also, delta bravo made a point that the penalty might somehow stop people from sitting other people's exams but in fairness if a person is desperate enough to hire someone to do an exam for them, would they really care if they had to pay an extra €200-€300, besides even before the penalty was introduced I'm sure there had to be some other type of identity check performed by the invigilators.

I dont know about you but the threat of losing €50 for something as simple as not having a card would make me remember to bring it. I remember once getting stung for €20 for a few overdue short loan books and I made sure it never happened again.

A friend of mine forgot his card for an exam last year and all that had to filled out was a slip of paper with your student number, name and address.

Your student card proves you are a student, your passport does not.

As far as I'm aware, the invigilators have a checklist of who's supposed to sit the exam. Remember at the end of the exam where you have to write down on this little chart the invigilators give you where you specify how many manuscripts you used and then sign it? If your name on the checklist and passport match, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As far as I'm aware, the invigilators have a checklist of who's supposed to sit the exam. Remember at the end of the exam where you have to write down on this little chart the invigilators give you where you specify how many manuscripts you used and then sign it? If your name on the checklist and passport match, you should be fine.

I think what they are getting at is that you can forge most ID's except a Student ID (It has your full name and student number)

I forgot my student card once in the Christmas Exams and produced by Age Card and Laser Card. If its sufficient for a Garda its sufficient for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

€12 million in debt
    _______________ = 240,000 times students forgetting their student ID.

€50 fine

They won't make their money back that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

In all fairness, as said above, it's not that difficult to bring a small piece of plastic with you. In your pencil case, wallet or purse.

I agree with it being a stupidity tax, and don't see the point in people complaining. If you don't want to pay, just bring your card.. it's that simple.

TBF, it actually will act as the best reminder going. The vast majority of students will not want to fork out 50e for forgetting something, and will therefore bring their cards, and for those who do forget, they can't say they have not been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Yes people, it has arrived and is now enshrined in the UCD 'Breach of Examination Regulations' -- A €50 fine for those unlucky individuals who do not have a student card on their person during an exam. It turns out that Darth Hugh Brady and his sidekick Martin Butler (along with the other Vices), after being caught red handed squandering massive amounts of university funds on their own bank accounts, have run out of their stock of precious toilet rolls. It may seem that Brady prefers €50 notes rolled up neatly in the toilet roll dispensers of the University Lodge to your ordinary common paper towels. And what a better way to show contempt for students' money than for him to wipe it all off his bum, cackling like a true Sith as he does so.

On a serious note though, has UCD not yet realised that many students are in dire financial straits? Was our message not clear two weeks ago? I mean how much money has one really earned after doing a small bit of clerical work, like filling out a form? -- Hardly €50 I'd imagine.

Make the fine one miiillllliiiiooonn euro and the college's financial problems will be cleared up the first day of exams.

It's a money-making exercise: they are charging as much as they can getaway with and are likely to net a couple of thousand euro from students. Fine: don't pay us; we'll just with-hold your exam results. Simple really.

---

I am as likely to remember my card with the fine as without. There is probably about an 8% chance of me not bringing it. I like my odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I know that there are occasional chancers who blatantly cheat by getting others to do exams for them. I am aware of a few times recently when that has happened. So that is why they are trying to be particularly awkward about student cards. I know it is steep, but people have not copped on after the last few years. I can see why it is happening (plus I can see the obvious attempt at money making) but there is a simple way to avoid to fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

I am as likely to remember my card with the fine as without.

All this suggests is that in your case the amount of the fine is too low to matter. It doesn't really say anything about your memory skills.

But for a fair few students €50 would be significant and I'd say it's an excellent way of guaranteeing virtually 100 per cent compliance. For most students the card will be of primary importance as a result of this rather than an afterthought as they leave the house.

Of the top of my head I can recall doing 32 end of term/year exams in UCD and never once forgot my student card and I would be quite absent-minded naturally. For something that concentrates the mind like an exam forgetting a student card is needless. It's a small checklist.......pen......student card........

OSI wrote: »
    One thing you all seem to be forgetting is that in order to get a student card, you have to have paid your fees in full, or applied for a grant. So if you didn't get the grant but weren't able to afford the fees yet, UCD are gonna be lumping you with an extra €50 fine for each exam for being financially stuck.

"Why don't you have your student card?"

"I haven't finished paying my fees yet"

"Grand, that's €50 so."

You can pay half your fees and get the card. You are not obliged to pay the full registration fee (or full fees if you are a postgrad or repeating) in Semester 1. Half in September and half in January is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Don't forget your card so :confused:. Seriously I just keep mine in my wallet at all times.

OSI wrote: »
    One thing you all seem to be forgetting is that in order to get a student card, you have to have paid your fees in full, or applied for a grant.

Not true. I have a student card and have paid only half my fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

EoghanRua wrote: »
    All this suggests is that in your case the amount of the fine is too low to matter.

Bonus points going for totally misunderstanding my post.

In the very unlikely event you see someone screaming at the end of the exam and pulling their hair out it might be me having forgotten my card. Very unlikely but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Barneslow

This is an absolute outrage! I am just appalled. How can they justify this? I sat all my summer exams last year without a student card as I couldn't even afford the 30 replacement charge. How can the expect me to fork up 50e for every single exam this year!
    I have replaced it now, but I don't think its fair if you forget to bring it into one exam to get charge 50e. Where or what does the 50e go on?

What are the chances they will actually enforce this strictly, or is it just a scare tactic to get us to bring our student cards to reduce hassle on there part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Barneslow wrote: »
    This is an absolute outrage! I am just appalled. How can they justify this? I sat all my summer exams last year without a student card as I couldn't even afford the 30 replacement charge. How can the expect me to fork up 50e for every single exam this year!
    I have replaced it now, but I don't think its fair if you forget to bring it into one exam to get charge 50e. Where or what does the 50e go on?

What are the chances they will actually enforce this strictly, or is it just a scare tactic to get us to bring our student cards to reduce hassle on there part?

Isn't it free if you claim it was stolen and get a garda form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Barneslow

smk89 wrote: »

Yes but you have to have some sort of evidence. I got refused when trying to go about it that way last year, should have probably tried repeatedly though.

Bonus points going for totally misunderstanding my post.

In the very unlikely event you see someone screaming at the end of the exam and pulling their hair out it might be me having forgotten my card. Very unlikely but...

What's there to misunderstand? This is what you wrote I am as likely to remember my card with the fine as without - I find it hard to see any interpretation other than that the €50 makes no difference whatsoever to you. If it did presumably the likelihood of you remembering your card would be different to that if there was no fine.

If you meant something else you should have written it.

smk89 wrote: »

You have to prove it was actually stolen and not lost. The rules changed because too many people were trying to use this loophole unfairly. So basically that means that many people lying about their card being stolen have created situation where somebody who has their card genuinely stolen but lack the proof end up paying. You can't blame UCD for acting when so many people were trying to pull a fast one.

You have to prove it was actually stolen and not lost. The rules changed because too many people were trying to use this loophole unfairly. So basically that means that many people lying about their card being stolen have created situation where somebody who has their card genuinely stolen but lack the proof end up paying. You can't blame UCD for acting when so many people were trying to pull a fast one.

Still worth trying though. Go to a club and get them to say you were looking for your wallet the next day. That and a a smile may work

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

How are you supposed to prove it was stolen instead of lost?

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    How are you supposed to prove it was stolen instead of lost?

Same way you prove anything was stolen. Think of it like how you prove a car is stolen. "Sorry I just lost my Audi A4, can I have another one?" would not exactly cut the mustard. Joking aside, you have to bring a report from the Gardaí verifying that it was stolen. I'm not a Guard so I don't know how stringent they are about handing those out.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/studentdesk/student_card.html?show=lost

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I know about the garda declaration alright, from reading Barneslow's post I thought he/she had been refused by the garda for not provididng proof. Admin should issue a new one with the garda form no problem, but how is this closing the loophole?

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I know about the garda declaration alright, from reading Barneslow's post I thought he/she had been refused by the garda for not provididng proof. Admin should issue a new one with the garda form no problem, but how is this closing the loophole?

People used to just say it had been stolen instead of going to the Guards and getting the form. I think the whole system is just a bit tougher now and there is more burden of proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Yeasayer

Having worked previously in the whole UCD Student ID card printing, I can say that it costs UCD a hell of a lot of money to print the ID cards. Why do you think they introduced the whole one card for the duration of your entire course?? If it is a legit case of the card being stolen then I have never encountered a situation where a person has been refused. As someone mentioned earlier, the stricter measures have resulted from people trying to abuse the system (claiming their card was stolen, they were on erasmus and didn't get a card [UCD can tell if this is true or not by looking at your record], etc...)

As for the €50 fine for not having your card...simply make sure you don't forget it. It's not that rocket science. The student ID is the easiest way to show you are a registered student!

• Advertisement

Yeasayer wrote: »
    Having worked previously in the whole UCD Student ID card printing, I can say that it costs UCD a hell of a lot of money to print the ID cards.

Just wondering, do you know why it costs so much? What are the greatest costs? I would have assumed that after buying the card printers and webcams the cost of blank cards wouldn't be that much.

Saying that I knew someone who got 5 cards printed for free in 1 year simply because they knew the printing people. They got fake photos printed on them too.

Advertisement