Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a phone to Meteor?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I bought a Meteor phone last July (Samsung Tocco Lite). I still have the receipt. This particular phone's biggest feature for me was it's range of internet applications. This feature was highly advertised by Meteor

However, I soon realized that the internet didn't work (and hasn't worked since I bought it). I went back to the store to get it fixed and they couldn't fix it. They then said a Samsung would ring me within 24hours but this never happened.

My second issue was that the software that came with the phone was incompatible with Vista. However, Meteor claims that it is compatible.

Thirdly, it features permanent advertisements which I was never told about, an apprentice screen saver. This didn't bother me too much at the start but now it is extremely annoying.

5 months on do I have any hope of getting any sort of satisfaction from them? I won't except it being sent away for repairs, because this will take over a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

karpo wrote: »
    5 months on

it should have been brought back the day after purchase and any issues raised then, i know some issues might have taken longer to show, but 5 months is a bit long for them to just replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Don't mean to hi jack!

I am in the process of returning a phone to them!

They have sent it for repair once and it's still the same, screen no responsive, freezing/stalling!
    After looking it up - this phone is notorious for such problems.

So it's going back.

I only have mine over a month, still have the receipt and box etc

At first I thought it was just getting used to it but it wasnt!

I want a new phone, not the same one as I am not happy with the dam phone and don't want another of the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,227 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Misticles wrote: »
    Don't mean to hi jack!

I am in the process of returning a phone to them!

They have sent it for repair once and it's still the same, screen no responsive, freezing/stalling!
    After looking it up - this phone is notorious for such problems.

So it's going back.

I only have mine over a month, still have the receipt and box etc

At first I thought it was just getting used to it but it wasnt!

I want a new phone, not the same one as I am not happy with the dam phone and don't want another of the same!

Any repair carried out should be permanent.

Considering you only have the phone about a month, an offer of another repair I would deem unfair.

Print off a few credible cases of the phone being buggy, present it to the manager of the store. See what they offer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Okay, how phone returns work...

Within 28 days of purchase, replacement or refund for a warranty fault.

Outside 28 days, it goes for a repair. Any mobile retailer in Ireland will insist on 3 repairs before replacement. This is what the manufacturers insist upon, and what stores adhere to.

A fault within 28 days of last repair, the same fault as reported previously, can, in some cases get replaced, but that's at the discretion of the manager of the store. And remember, it's not the fault of the people working in the store, it's just the policy of the various manufacturers.

brianblaze wrote: »
    Okay, how phone returns work...

Within 28 days of purchase, replacement or refund for a warranty fault.

Outside 28 days, it goes for a repair. Any mobile retailer in Ireland will insist on 3 repairs before replacement. This is what the manufacturers insist upon, and what stores adhere to.

A fault within 28 days of last repair, the same fault as reported previously, can, in some cases get replaced, but that's at the discretion of the manager of the store. And remember, it's not the fault of the people working in the store, it's just the policy of the various manufacturers.

The shop can have as many policies as it wants, it does not supersede a consumers statutory rights.

If that is in fact the arrangement they have with the manufacturers, that is soley their problem as the consumer has not got a contract with the manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 66o66o

As far as i know , under EU law, any electrical items sold in europe need to have a 24 month warranty. if the product doesn't work in that period you are covered by law. I'm sure your fine. just make a complaint if you get no joy directly from the shop

Boggles wrote: »
    The shop can have as many policies as it wants, it does not supersede a consumers statutory rights.

If that is in fact the arrangement they have with the manufacturers, that is soley their problem as the consumer has not got a contract with the manufacturers.

Statutory Rights:
    If the phone cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the phone.

Repair, or replacement. 3 repairs means you will get a replacement. I've worked in phones for four years in total, and that's the standard procedure in every shop. I don't make the rules, I'm just forewarning. It may not make sense, and it's a pain to tell people with faulty phones this, but sadly there's nothing we can do about it in stores.

Oh, and if it's a Tocco Lite, it may be a software fault.

Tap in *#1234#. on your keypad
    Unless it says your software version is 'S5230ADID3' or 'S5230ADIE1' you may need an upgrade of software, which you can do with the PC suite available on Samsung's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

OP please read my thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784696

I had a problem a year ago with a phone I bought from O2. They said they would not replace it until it had first been sent away 3 times to be fixed. My phone was faulty and I wanted and was entitled to my money back.

I pushed for a while and then got a replacement phone. You are entitled to at least a replacement.

Statutory Rights:

If the phone cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the phone.

I'm sorry but where is this stated?
    Repair, or replacement. 3 repairs means you will get a replacement. I've worked in phones for four years in total, and that's the standard procedure in every shop. I don't make the rules, I'm just forewarning. It may not make sense, and it's a pain to tell people with faulty phones this, but sadly there's nothing we can do about it in stores.

You most certainly don't and neither does the shop.

Under the ‘The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980’, goods should be:

• Of Merchantable Quality
    It is up to the shop to offer redress, from one of the 3 r's.

Repair
    Replacement
    Refund

A repair must be permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Boggles wrote: »
    It is up to the shop to offer redress, from one of the 3 r's.

Repair
    Replacement
    Refund
    You do not have to accept their first or any offer they make, if offered a repair you could seek a replacement if for example if you know the repair is not going to fix the problem, or if it will take too much value from your goods. Usually the guide on what is acceptible is what is "reasonable"

A phone a few days or weeks old should be replaced with a new phone if faulty and should be repaired if a few months old as this would be considered reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

There's an awful lot of random unverified facts being thrown about here that aren't in line with a consumers statuatory rights.

See here
    Q1. What are my rights in respect of faulty goods?

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 gives legal rights to consumers in their dealings with retailers and service suppliers. The Act empowers consumers to take action for themselves. Most issues under the Act are civil legal matters to be dealt with between the parties to the contract.

Under the Act, goods should be:

* Of merchantable quality - the goods are of an acceptable standard
    * As described - false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
    * Fit for intended purpose - be fit for the purpose they were bought for
    * Correspond to the sample

Where goods do not conform to the above criteria, you are entitled under the Act to seek a repair, replacement or a refund.

The legislation does not specify whether it is the retailer/supplier or the customer who chooses the form of redress to be offered.

However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.

You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

So basically. If you have had your phone repaired, and the exact same fault has occured again, then you are entitled to request another form of redress whether that be an exchange or a refund is not specified. If however there is another different fault, then the store is allowed offer a repair. This could technically go on untill every part of the unit is replaced during repair, however I would imagine that if the store wanted to go down that route you would be better off in the small claims court.

On top of this however is the fact that there is something called acceptance of fault. If you were to take this to the small claims court immediately, the store would have some grounds to say that you have lived with the issues for a long enough time (and not brought it to the attention of the store) to have legally accepted them. I don't know what the time frame is for this it could very well be up to the judge.

However, I soon realized that the internet didn't work (and hasn't worked since I bought it). I went back to the store to get it fixed and they couldn't fix it. They then said a Samsung would ring me within 24hours but this never happened.

Unfortunately, you should have chased this. If they did not ring when they said they would, then the store should have been contacted. Always keep on things like this, constantly call, or write and keep a record of everything. When you get to the stage you're at now, having a history of all the work you have done will help your case greatly.
    My second issue was that the software that came with the phone was incompatible with Vista. However, Meteor claims that it is compatible.

This might not be covered by a warranty, as it might be an issue with Vista not supporting your phone and not the other way around, in which case it's almost out of the hands of the manufacturer. Then again, there might be a firmware update for the phone, or a software update from the manufacturer that will fix this.
    Thirdly, it features permanent advertisements which I was never told about, an apprentice screen saver. This didn't bother me too much at the start but now it is extremely annoying.

This should have been brought up immediately with the store, to say it's bothering you now is an arguement that won't hold water unfortunately.

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Thanks for that!

When you google "corby screen problems", the whole first page is full of issues people have had!!

Corby is Genio in other countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nube dube

hi, just want to ask a quick question, bought a phone in meteor store today (lg optimus) it wont download apps. I think the phone is at fault so am i entitled to a replacement? I dont think a repair would be fair as the phone is 1 day old. any one?

Within 28 days, it's a straight swap. If it's connecting online but won't download though, I'd say it's something small the staff can rectify in store

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nube dube

thanks for quick reply, i got it for my brother i bought one last sept and found it to be a great little phone for price. The problem is downloading apps, i do mine on wifi but cannot do it on the new one. Checked and double checked all settings but no joy. anyway thanks again, as a repair would not suit at all now.

Advertisement