Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best fitness dvd for losing weight put on whilst pregnant?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    had my first wonderfull son 4 months ago and started to diet and walk to burn off weight... but now im pregnant again ;0) can anyone recomend a dvd to use for exercises whilst pregnant that will keep some of the weight off.... although the sickness at the moment will stop me eating :)
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Wow! Congratulations! Nothing like keeping them close together :)

Walking is still perfectly safe while pregnant, and healthy eating is advised.

Frequently when we think we are hungry our body is actually telling us to drink something, so it might be a good idea to reach for a glass of water more often.

While losing weight during pregnancy isn't advisable recent advice to pregnant women is that the amount of weight that you need to gain during pregnancy varies depending on your pre-pregnant weight. If you started out overweight you might only need to gain as little as 11-15 lbs over the full term.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/symptoms/a/weightgain.htm

There are also tools online which help you to assess your pregnancy weight gain and whether it is in the bracket for you being a healthy weight during, and after, your pregnancy.

Don't fall for the old "eating for two" line that has been used to excuse or encourage pregnancy gluttony for years - remember, one of the two is VERY small :)

Running around after a toddler while caring for a newborn should help you to burn off any excess pretty sharpish.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd suggest staying away from those websites which tell you if you're the right weight for your stage of pregnancy. It told me I'm overweight but I'm not over eating, I'm active and spart from having a big bump I'm told I'm quite neat. I've gone from size 10 to 12 and I'm 30 weeks. Every woman is a different shape and size during pregnancy.

Op I'd say just be as active as you can and follow a healthy diet and don't try to dwell too much on your weight. you will put in weight during the pregnancy. Certainly don't actively try to lose weight but just try not to put on excess weight due to over eating.

Oh and congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Yep, I also meant to add that those things should only be taken as a rough guide, as should BMI, as every woman/pregnancy is different.

People with very active lifestyles and/or a high level of muscle mass, frequently have a BMI that is generally considered overweight, although they might have hardly any body fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Pilates or yoga DVDs would probably be your best bet - or going out for walks. Dont try to lose weight though, exercise will keep you nice and limber and is good for the soul but youre making a baby so this is not the time to be worrying about your weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Swimming and walking are the best two exercises you can do. If you are interested in yoga, there are some good dvds out there. Irish-made one here:
    http://www.pregnancyyoga.ie/
    Although I'd recommend doing a class rather than a video as some of the moves can require guidance if you haven't done yoga before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement