Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 S External HDD?

• 17-11-2010 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Is there any limit to what size he'd you can connect?? I have a 500gb western digital hdd. Formatted in ntfs or something but Xbox wont read it. Tried making a fat32 partion but didn't read that either.

Is there a size limit?

Cause it works when I connect my phone in USB storage mode. Just pissed of that it wont let me copy stuff onto it. Now it wont even read the hdd :S

Any idea's? ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No, there's no limit to a hard drive you can connect, but there is a limit to what you can use on the drive which is 16GB. The console hard drives and memory units use FATx, not FAT32 or NTFS. It's also not possible as far as I know, to partition off 16GB of a 500GB drive and select that - when you go to System Settings -> Memory you will just see "Memory Unit" and when you select it it'll ask you to format the device, warning you you're going to lose all data on the device.

After you format it, it's detected as a Memory Unit and you can save games and install games to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Not Xbox memory. Plug in hdd to play music and watch movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I connect my HDD's regularly... I have a 500GB one and a 1TB one- both are formatted with FAT32 (non-slim version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dunno what the :mad: was for, you never specified what you wanted to do with the external hard drive :pac:

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's possible to do what you want (use external hard drive to play music/videos).

The :mad: was a misclick on the phone ;)

• Advertisement

TouchyVirus

:pac:

The :mad: was a misclick on the phone ;)

some more info in here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054937882

neacy69 wrote: »

Thank! That was useful. I remember seeing that thread but couldn't find it :)

MY WD Passport was natively NTFS. Im moving the files across to pc now so i could reformat it to FAT32.

I hate the streaming. I got alot of files on the pc and it takes forever to load anything. Either wise its stupid as Xbox is marketed as media entertainment console cant even do a simple thing as copy paste to get your music onto xbox

wdp.png

Now i tried everything. Still wont recognize it as a HDD on the Xbox

wdp.png

Now i tried everything. Still wont recognize it as a HDD on the Xbox

What program is that screenshot taken from?

Could be something to do with the unallocated space...maybe I'll compare it to my HDD and see...

• Advertisement

Easeus partition manager. Windows only let's me format it in exFat or ntfs

here a link to help format with FAT32....I reckon you have to change to FAT32...I know one of the Windows XP/Vista wont let you so try one of the methods in the link

I have used swissknife before....

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

ech i gave up. tried everything at this stage

/turns off xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

ech i gave up. tried everything at this stage

/turns off xbox

I have a programme at home on my PC that will sort this out for you, i will get the name of it when i get home and throw it up here :)

thanks

will keep it on standby so :)

thanks

will keep it on standby so :)

Here ya go

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

If this doesn't work i'd suspect your drive might not be 100%. I have 3 2.5" drives formatted with this programme with no problems.

Hope this works put for ya mate :D

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Here ya go

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

If this doesn't work i'd suspect your drive might not be 100%. I have 3 2.5" drives formatted with this programme with no problems.

Hope this works put for ya mate :D

Its not the formating that is the problem (not that i think). My HDD is WD 500GB Passport. I formated it in FAT32. Then i thought it might have been because its partitioned. So deleted partitions (except the driver and software partition from WD) but still no luck. Xbox doesn't read it as a portable device. Maybe i should try to format one in smaller chunks? Anyway gonna give this a go when i got time
    Thanks

Its not the formating that is the problem (not that i think). My HDD is WD 500GB Passport. I formated it in FAT32. Then i thought it might have been because its partitioned. So deleted partitions (except the driver and software partition from WD) but still no luck. Xbox doesn't read it as a portable device. Maybe i should try to format one in smaller chunks? Anyway gonna give this a go when i got time
    Thanks

Try it with that one, a mate of mine formatted a 1tb HDD with that recently so i'm not sure the size of the drive is any issue. Could be a bad sector perhaps? If you can, try formatting to a different format first, then reformatting to FAT32, see if that works

Advertisement