Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter related Purchases.

Options
  • 17-11-2010 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

So for the possible cold winter ahead I was wondering will anyone be buying anything interesting?

I was thinking about buying a pair of ice walkers/grips.
    They look something like this

31lwv1q8ddlaa300.jpg

They come in different variations and are called different names, but I hear it was a big trend in Moscow in the past few winters and very useful. :cool:

Also what about snow sleighs?
    Where would be the best place to buy one of those. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Just put socks over yer shoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Cocoon wrote: »

The smellier the better... so the St Bernard can sniff you out from under the avalanche.

Pangea,

I had exactly the same plan, after slipping and sliding from the pub last year I thought I'd become prepared and be the envy of all the other hapless drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cocoon wrote: »
    I know people that did that last winter and still had nasty falls...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pangea wrote: »
    So for the possible cold winter ahead I was wondering will anyone be buying anything interesting?

I was thinking about buying a pair of ice walkers/grips.
    They look something like this

31lwv1q8ddlaa300.jpg

They come in different variations and are called different names, but I hear it was a big trend in Moscow in the past few winters and very useful. :cool:

Also what about snow sleighs?
    Where would be the best place to buy one of those. :confused:

I was introduced to these in Norway last March and they are fcuking first class. If you do a search on ebay you can pick them up for under a tenner. I got the ones with tiny spikes in them to give good results on ice as well.

Am also looking to buy a sledge online. Google it and there's a place in Scotland that sells them. Only problem is they are already starting to sell out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oh good idea. Will get some for my mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

a pair of tickets to the caribbean :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cdev

I'm not sure if you'd call it an interesting purchase but I was thinking of getting a set of snow socks for the car. Looks like they could come in handy if we get the snowfest we are all dreaming of :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68883411
    http://www.autosock.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snow board in Lidl/ aldi as soon as they go on sale :)

cdev wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you'd call it an interesting purchase but I was thinking of getting a set of snow socks for the car. Looks like they could come in handy if we get the snowfest we are all dreaming of :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68883411
    http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Never heard of snow tyre socks before , Im not sure if it would provide much grip.
    I dont really get how real socks can provide grip for walking in the snow either.
    I know people that have snow tyres ,they say they are very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I became aware of them after they were recommended on the Volvo forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cdev

Pangea wrote: »
    Never heard of snow tyre socks before , Im not sure if it would provide much grip.
    I dont really get how real socks can provide grip for walking in the snow either.
    I know people that have snow tyres ,they say they are very good.
    I don't know anybody using the snow tyre socks either - but I've read up on them online and they seem to get decent reviews - although at €60+ euro they could turn out to be expensive boot liners if they don't work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pack of fleecy socks from Dunne's.. E3 for three pairs.. For inside wellies etc... Not been near a Dunne's for several years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I'm getting a PS3 and some games along with some hope that we don't have an ice storm bringing down power lines :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Im just going to use my cross country running spikes if we get deep snow . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

[IMG][/img]111040mainbfgoodrichalt.jpg

These

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Those
    vredenstein_comtrac-winter.jpg

A/T's are pretty useless in the snow btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

There an M&s tire, Have got me out of trouble the last couple of winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

I went through 2 pairs of these tracks for your shoes last winter, if you have big feet they break really easily, anything over size 10 i wouldnt recommend you to buy them.

I looked at those snow socks for the car, does anyone have them, they look like they could get you home if you got badly stuck

If you're going all out on tyres then...

Hakkapeliitta-7-ISO-verkk_%28ID_672%29.png

They make an interesting noise on tarmac too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I fancy getting an Icelandic pony - brilliant at getting through snow/ice/floods without getting stuck !!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

cdev wrote: »
    although at €60+ euro they could turn out to be expensive boot liners if they don't work :)

Or if it doesn't snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I wouldn't be splashing out on winter gear just yet. Still every chance we could be in for nothing more than a frosty/dry or wet/overcast winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Min wrote: »
    I'm getting a PS3 and some games along with some hope that we don't have an ice storm bringing down power lines :pac:

Santy is generous this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wouldn't be splashing out on winter gear just yet. Still every chance we could be in for nothing more than a frosty/dry or wet/overcast winter.

:mad:

*locks in closet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Negativity thread is this way
    >

Of course thats a possibility, but winter gear is something that has to be bought in advance. As my college lecturer used to say "the best time to buy an umbrella is when its not raining" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Negativity thread is this way
    >

:p Just trying to inject a bit of caution. I just have visions of people coming back to this thread in a couple of months fuming about wasting money on snow tyres etc. :pac:

Yeah i know that maq i was just trying to be funny. Using my crap mobile so not able to use smiley face. Yeah but your right we do live in ireland and we can't let ourselves get caught up with positive forecasts as if they are a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

redsunset wrote: »
    Yeah i know that maq i was just trying to be funny. Using my crap mobile so not able to use smiley face. Yeah but your right we do live in ireland and we can't let ourselves get caught up with positive forecasts as if they are a given.

yes but negativity can influence the snow gods. so i'm holding you two personally responsible if we are subjected to weeks and weeks of raging zonality:mad:

• Advertisement

Ah fcuk off .ha. Im probably one of the most positive around. Drilled into the head during sales training years ago. Well just for the record then i visualise exactly what i wrote in the christmas thread. Even the wind will be frozen

Advertisement