Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will Nokia bring out a new luxury phone?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Anyone else wondering when Nokia will bring out the latest phone in the Nokia 8800 generation?

The last ones were the 8800 Arte series.

Or did I miss some news about them having abandoned this idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

bumpety bump...6700 classic gold edition seems to be the one at the moment

but why no new higher end bling phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Cos Vertu is essentially Nokia's luxury line now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dear Santa, TI Ferrari in black or brown please!!

This is my 3rd year asking for one Santa, i've been good all year. I'll make sure there's a big glass of whiskey there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Cos Vertu is essentially Nokia's luxury line now

too bad that they're shíte and unaffordable for most of us. The likes of the carbon arte were a more affordable luxury phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Gekko wrote: »
    too bad that they're shíte and unaffordable for most of us. The likes of the carbon arte were a more affordable luxury phone

More affordable and luxury aren't categories that usually go together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Nokia have much bigger problems these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Vertu was always Nokia's Luxury phone line, and that didn't stop the 8800 series being released.

The last one leaked was the 'Erdos" last year (http://dailymobile.se/2009/09/13/nokia-erdos-is-the-successor-of-the-nokia-8800-leaked-video/), which looked pretty fine. This model was cancelled though: I think the market would expect something flashier than Series60 running on it, though.

There's an "S" prefix in Nokia's new model naming scheme for "special, luxury" models, but no phones announced or leaked yet.

I had an 8800 Sirocco for three years, and it was a really, really nice phone. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

KrisW wrote: »
    Vertu was always Nokia's Luxury phone line, and that didn't stop the 8800 series being released.

The last one leaked was the 'Erdos" last year (http://dailymobile.se/2009/09/13/nokia-erdos-is-the-successor-of-the-nokia-8800-leaked-video/), which looked pretty fine. This model was cancelled though: I think the market would expect something flashier than Series60 running on it, though.

There's an "S" prefix in Nokia's new model naming scheme for "special, luxury" models, but no phones announced or leaked yet.

I had an 8800 Sirocco for three years, and it was a really, really nice phone. Pure class.
    I think the Erdos was only ever ment as a concept phone

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Every real product starts as a concept, though. The video is still around somewhere, and it looked pretty nice.

The 8800s were in an interesting place in the market. "Affordable Luxury" is spot on - they were a real alternative to the nerd-toys that populated its price range, but it's a product you had to hold in your hand to appreciate.

As for the future? I don't know. Phones with keys are out of fashion now, and may never come back, but there is a sizeable group of people who don't like touchscreens. Personally, I'd like both a physical number pad and a touchscreen, but previous designs for that have never worked well.

Advertisement