Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dog with New Pup

• 17-11-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

OK, this isn't a real problem, now even sure why i'm posting, but i've never had a pup with another dog. We have a 1.5 year old miniature Schnauzer (Male Charlie) and we got a new pup miniature Schnauzer (Female Millie) a couple of weeks ago. They get on great, but i think the new pup thinks Charlie is its owner, and Charlie really acts like her master.
    Example, i'm trying to train her not to go past a certain point on the drive, its working well, but the last day she followed me up past her cut off point. I shouted "NO" and when she ran back to were Charlie was standing, he just floored her (knocked her with his head). I really think she's not going up past that point now because of Charlie (no problem you might say).

They spend 3-5 hours outside every day together, the walk together, eat together and sleep together. The big problem is she whimpers if he isn't in the room with her, but we are there. We got her as a companion to Charlie (not breeding) so from that point of view its great.
    But should we separate them more, will she be more independent as she get older? (she about 4 months old now).

Sounds like a stupid thread when i read it back, but anyone's experiences would be nice to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Sadly everytime that we decide to get a second dog as companion for the first one we have to accept that the bond between the dogs will be stronger of the one we had (or we might have) with only one; it is perfectally normal and there is no much you can do.
    At this stage the younger pup seems to follow more the adult (1.5 years old is not old at all) because they spend the greater part of the day togheter; it is important that you keep signaling that you are always the pack leader, just to avoid complications in the future.
    It would also be a good practice to walk them separeted every now and than so that they would not grow fixated with each other.
    With lots of patience the situation will improve as they both grow adult.
    Best luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

micheleabc wrote: »
    Sadly everytime that we decide to get a second dog as companion for the first one we have to accept that the bond between the dogs will be stronger of the one we had (or we might have) with only one; it is perfectally normal and there is no much you can do.
    At this stage the younger pup seems to follow more the adult (1.5 years old is not old at all) because they spend the greater part of the day togheter; it is important that you keep signaling that you are always the pack leader, just to avoid complications in the future.
    It would also be a good practice to walk them separeted every now and than so that they would not grow fixated with each other.
    With lots of patience the situation will improve as they both grow adult.
    Best luck.

+1 we got a yorkie for a companion for are schnauzer a few months ago and at first the bond was very strong but once she got a little older (shes about 5 and half months) she became more independent! he helped her tho with basic things in training as she just followed his lead! and taking her or him out of the house for a bit once a day really helped !

Advertisement