Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange creatures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

As Rasmus described the brain will block out or hide very traumatic events to protect the person and over time it will slowly move the memory of the event from the unconscious mind to the conscious mind to allow the person to gradually accept what happened. This is a defense mechanism that the brain uses to protect the person.

Unfortunately due to the fallibility of the human memory, as time goes by the memory can morph and change and its very hard to say what bits are part of the original memory and what has been added over time to help explain certain aspects of the memory.

The best thing to do is to write done everything you can remember as soon as you get a chance after the incident or when witnessing something to have an accurate as possible account of what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wolflark

i forgot to mention.... the following day after the "sighting".... i drew a picture of the "creature".... i'm away for the weekend, but when i get home i"ll scan it and post it up....
    wolflark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I've studied cryptozoology quite a bit over the years and have never heard accounts of encounters with Kujo and Treebeard before.

Your encounter would be very easy to explain if the part about them chasing wasn't part of it, but alas the whole thing makes very little sense. I would imagine there is some part of the memory askew, but there's no way to tell, and we do have to accept that there may be a lot out there that we don't know about.

That being said, and coming back to the chasing part of your tale OP, if aggressive unidentified animals were in your area surely someone would have reported sightings and attacks before.

GodlessM wrote: »
    That being said, and coming back to the chasing part of your tale OP, if aggressive unidentified animals were in your area surely someone would have reported sightings and attacks before.
    Its possible that people in the area know about it but choose not to say anything, sure weren't our parents, family and the neighbors able to keep the secret of Santa etc. from us for all those years!?! If theres a general consensus or reason to not share information among a group of people its possible to keep it under wraps but you will always get a few leaks but nothing that can't be fobbed off.

On the other hand, what I just said could be a load'a, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a vivid dream, i reckon that over time you believe really happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

OP any chance of that picture

really curious to see your depiction of the creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

peoples grip on the workings of the human brain is SHOCKINGLY bad on this thread!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

leddpipe wrote: »
    peoples grip on the workings of the human brain is SHOCKINGLY bad on this thread!:mad:

Are you a psychiatrist?

GodlessM wrote: »
    Are you a psychiatrist?

No, Ma in Behavioral Science!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

No, Ma in Behavioral Science!

No-one claims to be an 'expert' besides yourself - so why not blind us with your knowledge of the subject?

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    No-one claims to be an 'expert' besides yourself - so why not blind us with your knowledge of the subject?

when did I claim to be an expert Tonto!I just hate the way people latch on to these bullsh1t pop psychology assertions and blurt them out as fact!
    its never even been properly established that repressed memories actually exist, yet for the sake of explaining many things, including traumatic memories they are taken as fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wolflark wrote: »
    they were both about 5 foot tall, completly covered in black hair. they were skinny like gibbons, , making noises much like a young girl laughing....

well, maybe they were gibbons...some people have been known to keep them as pets

and they make noises like a loud laugh

when did I claim to be an expert Tonto!I just hate the way people latch on to these bullsh1t pop psychology assertions and blurt them out as fact!
    its never even been properly established that repressed memories actually exist, yet for the sake of explaining many things, including traumatic memories they are taken as fact!
    I'll be the fist to throw my hands up when I'm wrong. Please do correct me where I'm wrong so I don't go saying a load of crap again, I'd be interested to hear what a person with a background like yourself has to say regarding memories in a situation like this.

I understand about the whole debate about repressed memories that has been going on for years, is there another school of thought on how memories from a traumatic event are handled?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Troll

Troll

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

fryup wrote: »
    well, maybe they were gibbons

BARBARY FECKIN' APES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Turquoise1

I remember hearing a similar story from my other half about two lads who were up the mountains near my hometown, saw a white creature one night with a dog-like face who chased them for a bit. It took them a while to get over it.

A few other fellas got curious and went into the area to investigate and they saw it too, their own dogs chased after it but the dogs never came back. This happened back in the late 80s/ early 90s but I haven't heard about anyone seeing anything up there lately.

Turquoise1 wrote: »
    I remember hearing a similar story from my other half about two lads who were up the mountains near my hometown, saw a white creature one night with a dog-like face who chased them for a bit. It took them a while to get over it.

A few other fellas got curious and went into the area to investigate and they saw it too, their own dogs chased after it but the dogs never came back. This happened back in the late 80s/ early 90s but I haven't heard about anyone seeing anything up there lately.
    Can you tell us what mountain and the area on the mountains these incidents occurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I try to keep an open mind, but there's usually a plausible explanation for everything. When I was 19 I stayed up for 3 days without sleep, seemed like a good idea at the time. At the end I was seeing some freaky stuff. I was in a girls bedroom while she was getting showered and there was a pile of laundry in the corner. I saw an evil little figure glaring at me from the top of this pile, I was so sleep deprived that I was convinced that it was real. But of course it wasn't.

• Advertisement

Ziycon wrote: »
    Can you tell us what mountain and the area on the mountains these incidents occurred?

Its not really a proper mountain as such. Its an area in Ballychorus known as "Kitty Gallaghers". I think its proper name is Carrigolligan.

I think, it happened around where the lead mines are but I am not 100% on that. I have heard other stories about this place over the years, about weird lights and people dancing around bonfires at Halloween. Never seen anything up there myself thou.

I will ask the other half later, if he knows the exact spot where it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Turquoise1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, it happened around where the lead mines are. I have heard other stories about this place over the years, about weird lights and people dancing around bonfires at Halloween.

Mass Lead Poisoning?

* Behavior or attention problems
    * Failure at school
    * Hearing problems
    * Kidney damage
    * Reduced IQ
    * Slowed body growth
    * Abdominal pain and cramping
    * Aggressive behavior
    * Anemia
    * Constipation
    * Difficulty sleeping
    * Headaches
    * Irritability
    * Loss of previous developmental skills
    * Low appetite and energy
    * Reduced sensations

Well, the lads who saw the creature didn't have any of those problems lol..I don't think they were around there long enough to get poisoned?? :D

Any sign of that sketch, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Um I experienced something similar to the OP. I was wide awake.

This happened about 15-20 years ago.

The bathroom in our house is in the second story and has a porch beside it. So it is possible to get up there, but would take a bit of effort. I also wear glasses and had them off at the time which in some ways Im thankful for, but in others get annoyed because I could have seen it clearer.

Anyways, bout 10pm, upstairs getting ready for bed. Facing, looking into the mirror (window to the left), brushing my teeth as normal as every night when I get the feeling something is looking at me through the window.

I turn slowly to my left, and look down ever so slightly. I think there is a dog looking in at me, crouched with the fingers or what ever they had on the window ledge - big eyes. I must have been looking for a few seconds processing what was going on - why was there a dog on the porch - as my eyes were getting wider, so was its eyes. I start to scream. What ever it was turned and hopped off the porch. Again the way it moved wasnt human like....when it jumped it didnt make a thud or anything and kept moving. It was almost monkey or ape like the way it swung/hopped off. It kept running when it landed on the gound, and our dogs started to follow it.

I.have.not.an.iota.what.i.saw.

I still get freaked/shocked when I think about it. Mid-west of ireland.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Um I experienced something similar to the OP. I was wide awake.

This happened about 15-20 years ago.

The bathroom in our house is in the second story and has a porch beside it. So it is possible to get up there, but would take a bit of effort. I also wear glasses and had them off at the time which in some ways Im thankful for, but in others get annoyed because I could have seen it clearer.

Anyways, bout 10pm, upstairs getting ready for bed. Facing, looking into the mirror (window to the left), brushing my teeth as normal as every night when I get the feeling something is looking at me through the window.

I turn slowly to my left, and look down ever so slightly. I think there is a dog looking in at me, crouched with the fingers or what ever they had on the window ledge - big eyes. I must have been looking for a few seconds processing what was going on - why was there a dog on the porch - as my eyes were getting wider, so was its eyes. I start to scream. What ever it was turned and hopped off the porch. Again the way it moved wasnt human like....when it jumped it didnt make a thud or anything and kept moving. It was almost monkey or ape like the way it swung/hopped off. It kept running when it landed on the gound, and our dogs started to follow it.

I.have.not.an.iota.what.i.saw.

I still get freaked/shocked when I think about it. Mid-west of ireland.

Thanks for sharing the story! Did you happen to notice if it was on two legs or four?

Ok - its hard to explain but it looked like, for want of a better description, like a warewolf standing up, but still a bit couched.
    When it was looking in the window, its fingers/paw were on the ledge, under its chin. Like it was having a right gawk in the window. When it jumped, it was on 2 legs, but when it ran it was definitley on four.
    Edit: it mustve been about 4 - 4 1/2 foot tall because that is the height from the roof of the porch to the bathroom window.

Creepy... especially what you say about it having it's paw under it's chin...

See, this is the thing - Id my glasses off - maybe Id have seen more. I say fingers/paws because I did not look particularly at what it had, I just noticed over all that its head was resting on paws/fingers.

A human getting on the roof at 10pm at night - highly unlikely, but possible. A dog or any sizable animal getting on the roof ever - impossible.

When I replay it in my mind, I see it jumping off the roof. I convinced myself for years that it had to have been a dog, knowing that it couldnt be, but at least it made some sense. Reading the OPs story just brought it all back.

Hahaha says I and the dog is going ballistic outside as I type this. I just jumped there.

• Advertisement

How far is/was the porch from the ground?

Advertisement