Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange creatures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

At least 8-9 foot.

There is no way to get on that roof other than a) getting out a small bathroom window or b) hopping on a near by window sill. Then manovering to jump and try and catch the ledge of the porch roof and pull yourself up.

No dog I know is capable of that. Not even a cat. Couldnt haven been a cat though.

Edit: I know the story sounds crazy, but now I am older and can face up to it/think about it with out getting too scared, there is no logical explanation for what i saw on that porch roof that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

That is frankly just a tad freaky! I can't think of a rational explanation for that. Except werewolf, which isn't really rational!

One logical country story I could tell is that I was watching tv late one night, and I saw a white face at the window. Screamed of course. Turned out to be a cow :D.

Seriously though, I live in the middle of nowhere. I dont get freaked too easily. I walk in the dark on my own. Id stay in the house on my own day or night. I hear strange noises left, right, and centre, so am not jumpy. I kind of dont know any better as Ive live here all my life. But what happened that night stumped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

LOL about the cow. I wonder though if there's any local 'legend' in your area. There tends to be in Irish towns/areas all over the country! Have you ever looked into it, or googled your county with the outline of your story?

Funnily enough there is a local story of a huge black dog with gnashing teeth roaming the country side here.

Dont think hed be watching me brushing my teeth though.

Ive loadsa funny country stories where they thought they'd seen something but turned out to be something logical.

One time, my dad was walking to the pub one night (bout 5 miles away - years ago) and he saw a huge tall figure coming towards him with horns. Mustve been bout 7 foot tall. He said he nearly fainted. Didnt know what to do. As the figure came closer, he realised that it was a farmer with a goat on his back - the goat had gotton tired walking home from the town and the farmer put him up on his back :D.

If my dad had ran, his version of the story would have been alot different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where has the OP gone to? has he been abducted by those strange creatures????

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

fryup wrote: »

by a TROLL I reckon!!!

Why does he have to be trolling because he saw something unusual or hasnt reposted yet?

Has he done it in other forums?

Have you never seen something inexplicable that scared the bejebus out of you? If you havent, thank your lucky stars, because it isnt very nice to have it turning over in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I saw this article about the "Dogman" just now and was reminded of what the OP has reported seeing:

http://20prospect.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/the-dogman-of-michigan/

http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2010/11/strange-encounter-in-cheboygan-county.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

Just stumbled across this thread and it's giving me the creeps even though it's daylight and there's even a bit of sun outside.

dellas1979- your story literally made me shiver and I'm normally very sceptical about these kinda things! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Ruana wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this thread and it's giving me the creeps even though it's daylight and there's even a bit of sun outside.

dellas1979- your story literally made me shiver and I'm normally very sceptical about these kinda things! :eek:

ME TOO!
    I got shivers reading this for some reason, and I've read most of this forum over the years, and not been too bothered really but I read this post a couple of days ago and the first night I read it I had a dream about a large dog coming into my bedroom window as the window was opened a little bit, I woke up in a lather and very cautiously peeped out the bedroom window to make sure there was nothing there peering in at me. *shivers again*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    leddpipe wrote: »
    by a TROLL I reckon!!!

well his username is.......wolf lark

and the lark was at our expense it seems:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wolflark

hi....
    sorry havent been around (wasnt abducted)
    will defo scan and put up picture monday or tuesday....
    by the way DELLOS 1979.... very much like what i saw !

and also.... WOLFLARK is not some kind of pun or joke on what i saw....
    it's just an anagram of my real name....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Realtine wrote: »
    ME TOO!
    I got shivers reading this for some reason, and I've read most of this forum over the years, and not been too bothered really but I read this post a couple of days ago and the first night I read it I had a dream about a large dog coming into my bedroom window as the window was opened a little bit, I woke up in a lather and very cautiously peeped out the bedroom window to make sure there was nothing there peering in at me. *shivers again*

It sounds like an escaped monkey to be honest.

Yeah - thats it - an escaped money roaming the Tipperary countryside.

If youve never been in a situation or seen something you cant explain, then you can afford to make funny jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

wolflark wrote: »
    thanks for replies.... i was nineteen at the time.... unfortunatly no other witnesses.... it was about 2.30 in the morning.... they were both about 5 foot tall, completly covered in black hair. they were skinny like gibbons, but their heads were more like dogs, with long snouts.... their eyes were the size of eggs and completly white.... they came down from the rooftop and stood about 8 feet from me on top of a garage.... i ran across the field to my house, and for a short while they followed, making noises much like a young girl laughing.... i actually soiled myself as i ran.... the next day i went back over with my dad and my dog.... my dog sniffed around but would not go any closer to where i had saw them....

i dont fully expect to be believed, but it certainly happened....
    WOLFLARK....

Could well have been my ex-wife,but I dont think she had a twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

dellas1979 wrote: »

If youve never been in a situation or seen something you cant explain, then you can afford to make funny jokes.

Yes an escaped monkey roaming the Tipperary countryside, more believable than some type of phantom animal. I'm not saying it was an escaped monkey, just the odds are higher, what you described looked like a monkey, acted like a monkey, therefore likely to be a monkey.

Ah yeah right.
    There are no monkeys around here in this part of the world, bar the ones in zoos (and the odd person too I guess...)

Next thing youll tell me twas a snake. Thats possible too isnt it? Like the monkey theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ah yeah right.
    There are no monkeys around here in this part of the world, bar the ones in zoos (and the odd person too I guess...)

Next thing youll tell me twas a snake. Thats possible too isnt it? Like the monkey theory?

Link

So its still more plausible then ape like creatures roaming the the Tipperary countryside ... I still think it may have been a local.

I knew this thread rocked my memory .... also the rest of this thread is better with the music playing.

Also could you possibly identifiy this homoerectal home intruder from the list below? Seriously....

Im_an_apeman.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I don't think people mean to sound condescending, it's just that all 'natural' explanations are far more likely than supernatural ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grimes wrote: »
    Link

So its still more plausible then ape like creatures roaming the the Tipperary countryside ... I still think it may have been a local.
    also
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0802/dublinzoo.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4600395.stm

That an ape has escaped either from a zoo or from a private collection is certainly more likely that there is some ape-like phantom prowling around, wouldn't you agree.

kylith wrote: »
    That an ape has escaped either from a zoo or from a private collection is certainly more likely that there is some ape-like phantom prowling around, wouldn't you agree.

Reading OP's description of the creatures, I find your explanation less plausible.

In all fairness the OP is a Troll ... the event never actually happened :eek:

Ah well, at least thanks for the laugh!

It wasnt an ape or monkey, or a local ;)

For the first part, it looked like a dog, for the latter it was not human.

Dog does not equal monkey. Amazing what people will say to rationalise this stuff. It unexplainable. That what it is.

Its always possible it was a hallucination! Maybe you had an 'episode' but didn't realise it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

loldog wrote: »
    Reading OP's description of the creatures, I find your explanation less plausible.

You find apes less plausible than demons? Really?

Let's look at the OP:

they were both about 5 foot tall, completly covered in black hair. Yeah, colour is very easy to distinguish at 2:30am,

they were skinny like gibbons, but their heads were more like dogs, with long snouts Baboons and Mandrills haver very dog-like snouts

their eyes were the size of eggs and completly white.... Sounds to me like eyeshine, the reflection of light from the reflective membrane at the back of an animal's eye.

they came down from the rooftop and stood about 8 feet from me on top of a garage.... Climbing; a typical ape behavior

making noises much like a young girl laughing.... Apes don't just go 'Ooo, Ooo' you know, they can make a whole range of vocalisations. Check out this video. At about 00:18 you'll hear a monkey make sounds that, to me, sound quite like laughter.

To me this bit is most telling:
    no other witnesses.... it was about 2.30 in the morning....
    The middle of the night, alone, is the best time for making rational observations about what one sees, is it?

kylith wrote: »
    You find apes less plausible than demons? Really?

Yes. You've got two 5 ft tall apes roaming around a housing estate in Dublin, and nobody else seems to notice? Also, no large primates have a Tapetum lucidum - only a few primates do, the smaller ones like lemurs.

loldog wrote: »
    Yes. You've got two 5 ft tall apes roaming around a housing estate in Dublin, and nobody else seems to notice?

So instead you've got two 5ft tall demons roaming around a housing estate in Dublin, and nobody seems to notice?

Also, I'm sure you're familiar with Occam's Razor. If we are to seriously say it might have been some demons, we have to first agree that demons exist, are visible to us, and have the appearance of dog-people, and make laughing noises.

Or we can presume it was animals that we know to exist, have dog-like muzzles, and make laughing noises.

• Advertisement

face1990 wrote: »
    If we are to seriously say it might have been some demons, we have to first agree that demons exist, are visible to us, and have the appearance of dog-people, and make laughing noises..

We don't have to agree on it.

However, if there is a plausible alternative explanation, I'm all for that. But what you're suggesting does not seem very realistic to me.. it's a bit like the "swamp gas reflecting off Venus onto a weather balloon" explanations you often hear. Sometimes people are so anxious to find a rational explanation that they don't realize how ridiculous it sounds.

Advertisement