Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange creatures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yeah - only happened once (dare I say!).

But its always the odd things or things that you dont have answers to that stick in your mind. I guess by nature, we always look for explanations, but for that incident, I dont have one.

Had they bicycles?

Not more mickey taking - wonder do people come in here to laugh at other people. Im sure youve better things to be doing. Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Not more mickey taking - wonder do people come in here to laugh at other people. Im sure youve better things to be doing. Or maybe not.

No. Years ago when going home from football training two bicycles passed me on the road with odd looking riders that didn't look human. Made the hair stand on my head. Could have been small men wearing costumes but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

really? can you elaborate more on that story tayto?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

No. Years ago when going home from football training two bicycles passed me on the road with odd looking riders that didn't look human. Made the hair stand on my head. Could have been small men wearing costumes but why?

Was it halloween?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The bigger question is "Why not?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Rasmus wrote: »
    Was it halloween?

Main Kerry to Cork road?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Ok I am going to throw this out there, only my immediate family and boyfriend know about this as I am afraid of being labelled a nutjob if I tell anyone about what I seen!

About a year ago I was driving home from a party, it was late enough, after midnight probably, and my mum and brother were in the car with me. It was a really narrow, country road, no street lights or anything.

Anyway, I came around a bend in the road, and my headlights reflected off a pair of eyes in the middle of the road, a good bit ahead of me. I thought to myself it was a cat or a fox or something, but it struck me that they eyes were about 3-4 feet off the ground, and were a LOT bigger than those of a cat or fox. Also, they reflected differently, I can't quite describe it but they were a cloudy white colour, and huge!

As I got a bit closer, I noticed the body of the creature. It was covered in fur, and was walking, upright, into the ditch, all the time with its head turned towards us and eyes fixed on the car.

What freaked me out most was the fact that even though I was driving towards it, it walked so slowly into the ditch, staring us out of it. The only way I could describe the body was monkey-like, though it stood straight up as it walked.

If my mam and brother hadn't seen it, I would have really doubted myself, but they saw the exact same thing as me. It scared me so much that I couldn't even speak about it for months afterwards, I still get shivers dowm my spine even now thinking about it!

SandyRamp wrote: »
    Ok I am going to throw this out there, only my immediate family and boyfriend know about this as I am afraid of being labelled a nutjob if I tell anyone about what I seen!

About a year ago I was driving home from a party, it was late enough, after midnight probably, and my mum and brother were in the car with me. It was a really narrow, country road, no street lights or anything.

Anyway, I came around a bend in the road, and my headlights reflected off a pair of eyes in the middle of the road, a good bit ahead of me. I thought to myself it was a cat or a fox or something, but it struck me that they eyes were about 3-4 feet off the ground, and were a LOT bigger than those of a cat or fox. Also, they reflected differently, I can't quite describe it but they were a cloudy white colour, and huge!

As I got a bit closer, I noticed the body of the creature. It was covered in fur, and was walking, upright, into the ditch, all the time with its head turned towards us and eyes fixed on the car.

What freaked me out most was the fact that even though I was driving towards it, it walked so slowly into the ditch, staring us out of it. The only way I could describe the body was monkey-like, though it stood straight up as it walked.

If my mam and brother hadn't seen it, I would have really doubted myself, but they saw the exact same thing as me. It scared me so much that I couldn't even speak about it for months afterwards, I still get shivers dowm my spine even now thinking about it!

This is getting pretty weird - did you look at the pic the OP posted? Sounds similar.

This is getting pretty weird - did you look at the pic the OP posted? Sounds similar.

Just checked it out there, the shape is VERY similar to what I seen. The major things I noticed about the thing I saw was the shape, the fur and the eyes. As it was dark I didn't see any facial features apart from the eyes.

On a related note, and I only remembered this when I read the thread, when I was 8/9 my friend and I were out in my back garden playing. On one side of the garden there was a wall about 12-13 ft high. On the neighbours side of the wall they had a big tree, the branches of which extended over the wall and into my garden.
    Anyway it was getting dark and we were still outside, when we heard rustling in the tree. We both looked up and there was, what we as 8 year olds could only describe as a gorilla (!) standing in the branches of the tree looking down at us!

Naturally we ran inside to get the parents, when they came out it was gone. We did however hear an awful lot of scuffling and rustling the other side of the wall, as well as a really loud kind of high pitched squeal, like something was being strangled :(. The parents told us it was probably rats fighting :confused: and we went on our merry way back out to play!

We've spoken of it once or twice a bit after it happened, I think we stopped talking about it when we were ridiculed after we told our friends in school :(. I must remind her about it and see if she still remembers it, would be interesting to see if her memory of it is the same as mine!

• Advertisement

Creepy stuff!! I have a new thing to be scared of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

SandyRamp wrote: »

Whereabouts did this happen? Roughly what part of the country/county?

Also, and I'm not trying to be smart, but had any of the three of you been drinking at the party?

face1990 wrote: »

Also, and I'm not trying to be smart, but had any of the three of you been drinking at the party?

When you've been drinking, do you hallucinate?

It happened in Westmeath, near the Meath border.

None of us had been drinking, I was driving, my mam doesn't drink and my brother was only 14 at the time. All stone cold sober !

When you've been drinking, do you hallucinate?

No but I've very often mistaken things for other things, or misremembered large swathes of time! Maybe that's just me though :p
    Anyway it's a relevant question which I asked in a respectful way.

No but I've very often mistaken things for other things, or misremembered large swathes of time! Maybe that's just me though :p
    Anyway it's a relevant question which I asked in a respectful way.

I know that you were being genuine in asking. I have never understood, however, how people put down strange sightings to drunkeness. It affects decision-making, granted - but full blown apparitions?
    Saying that, if we were to put it down to mistaken identity, what could it be??

I think alcohol could impair your ability to identify an 'unidentified creature', rather than full blown apparitions.
    But more than that, it could affect your memory of the event. I've often had hazy memories of a night of drinking, and the brain may try filling in those blanks with less-than-accurate recollections of what actually happened.

As for what it could be, I've no idea!

Sandyramp, if I can ask you another question; did you have to slow down in order to avoid the creature, and how close did you come to it? Did you check the rear view as you proceeded onward?

If I remember correctly I had already slowed down considerably as it was a bad bend and there was pretty bad rain earlier in the day so I was by no means speeding.

I'd say the last glimpse I got of it I was about 3-4 car lengths away, if that makes any sense!

Didn't check the rear view mirror, I got seriously spooked and so did the other 2, I actually sped up because I thought I would never get off that road! Still won't drive it by myself now :(

I can imagine, I'd be scared to drive there at night too. Does your mum or bro have any theories?

• Advertisement

My mum was/is very spooked about it and I have only spoken about it with her a few times. My brother described it walking like "Puss in Boots", but doesn't know what it could have been. He says he got a really strong feeling of being watched after we seen it, which I admit I felt also.

That's so creepy. I could ask you questions til all hrs :o. So is that Puss n boots from Shrek, or the original tale?

That's so creepy. I could ask you questions til all hrs :o. So is that Puss n boots from Shrek, or the original tale?

I didn't ask him that! I suppose he meant it in that it was furry but walked upright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Could it have been a large cat on its hind legs?

Its mad - few people now reporting seeing these things.

And they all sound very very similar.

Just throwing this out there (and I don't really buy it myself) but what do you reckon the chances are that these creatures are either highly evolved weasels like badgers or wolverines, perhaps mutated by radioactivity or some kind of bizarre experiment? I thought that the sketch of the creatures allegedly witnessed by the OP were similar to a badger, which is of the weasel family. Then bear in mind that weasels are excellent free-standers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I know they're biffo's....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

Just putting this out there:
    In regard to both experiences mentioned in the thread, it's possible that certain things we see are not necessarily what we think we see.

It's been speculated (especially with accounts of supposed alien abduction) that the brain rationalizes things it sees if the subject is unrecognisable, or doesn't make sense.
    For instance, some people have reported seeing a barking dog at night, when it turns out that they were actually 'abducted' and may have seen an alien, according to their account. .
    It's a coping mechanism when we experience fear or confusion. This kind of experience has also been reported during particularly traumatic events.
    Nothing to cite, sorry, just referring to articles, programmes and books I've read in the past.

Now, I can't imagine how this would have happened with the weird creatures on the roof, or the tree creature, as why would these people see such odd things if they were trying to rationalize?

It's just something to think about, that maybe what they saw is something related to this phenomenon, and that what was witnessed could even have been something weirder?

On a paranormal note, the tree creature would probably be considered to be an 'Elemental', an earth-bound spirit/creature otherwise known as a goblin. I've read a bit about them on paranormal sites.

Rasmus, Its interesting you say that because when I was hit by a car many years ago I tol the doctor that I just assumed it was something coming from the opposite direction and stopped in the middle of the road and looked in that other direction. Of course it was yer man beeping at me. I was very distraught because i couldnt explain why i just froze in the middle of the road and actually stood there thinking about something so trivial and non sensical! he said when peope go into shock, their brain knows something traumatic is about to happen and so it deploys a mechanism to basically minimize the emotional trauma that is about to occur - just basically puts you into a really bizare state where you miniize the reality to cope. Its facinating i think but im sure it must have looked seriously weird to the passers by lol

Rasmus, Its interesting you say that because when I was hit by a car many years ago I tol the doctor that I just assumed it was something coming from the opposite direction and stopped in the middle of the road and looked in that other direction. Of course it was yer man beeping at me. I was very distraught because i couldnt explain why i just froze in the middle of the road and actually stood there thinking about something so trivial and non sensical! he said when peope go into shock, their brain knows something traumatic is about to happen and so it deploys a mechanism to basically minimize the emotional trauma that is about to occur - just basically puts you into a really bizare state where you miniize the reality to cope. Its facinating i think but im sure it must have looked seriously weird to the passers by lol

I don't remember saying some of that stuff. Must have been ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

Well, evidently you did.

Advertisement