Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB internet ?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

just looking for some opinions on what is the best usb internet on the market at the moment? by usb internet i mean the little flash drive thingy you stick into the side of your laptop.want to get rid of eircom as their speed is crap,their download limits are pityful and their customer care is non existent(might as well be anyway). btw i am living in Maol A Choirne and i can only get 3mb off eircom anyway so i might as well switch.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

3 seem to be doing a good deal at the moment. 2 week trial, free USB thingy when you sign up for 18 months, 19.99 per month, I dont remember the download limit though :o, I got one last week, for the lap top.

3 shop in the shopping centre in D'van.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deadman walking

thanks for that will look into it;) tell the truth if the download limit was bigger on usb broadband i would have switched long ago,i would need at least 100gb per month allowancw to stop from going over the limit:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

3 have put up a big mast just outside Rathgormack. The coverage would be brill for 3 around there! They are starting to put alot of masts up or so I hear. You should try and get a three rep out to talk to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

3 seem to be doing a good deal at the moment. 2 week trial, free USB thingy when you sign up for 18 months, 19.99 per month, I dont remember the download limit though :o, I got one last week, for the lap top.

3 shop in the shopping centre in D'van.

That's no great deal. That's just the same as what it's been with ages now tbh.

The parents have 3. In what is supposed to be a coverage area that can get over 4mb. They do get over 4mb, once in a blue moon. Usually the throughput is only about 0.2mb but the signal is on full and the possible speed would be up at nearly 4mb. Which means that the congestion on it is absolutely ridiculous and they are doing nothing at all do resolve it. I have phoned them over and over about it and eventually they admitted they were having problems with congestion and they have been trying with ages to resolve it and can't. Worst thing is the agreement they have with the government as part of the NBS scheme, of which my parents are part of, they must provide a minimum of 1.2mb. So they are getting paid by the government to provide something they are getting nowhere near. Nothing new there then. :mad:

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's no great deal. That's just the same as what it's been with ages now tbh.

The parents have 3. In what is supposed to be a coverage area that can get over 4mb. They do get over 4mb, once in a blue moon. Usually the throughput is only about 0.2mb but the signal is on full and the possible speed would be up at nearly 4mb. Which means that the congestion on it is absolutely ridiculous and they are doing nothing at all do resolve it. I have phoned them over and over about it and eventually they admitted they were having problems with congestion and they have been trying with ages to resolve it and can't. Worst thing is the agreement they have with the government as part of the NBS scheme, of which my parents are part of, they must provide a minimum of 1.2mb. So they are getting paid by the government to provide something they are getting nowhere near. Nothing new there then. :mad:

Didn't know any of that.....

• Advertisement

looks like i will be sticking with eircom then as nobody else can provide sufficient service in Ring, not that eircom are doing a good job they are just the best of a s***ty lot.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

thanks for that will look into it;) tell the truth if the download limit was bigger on usb broadband i would have switched long ago,i would need at least 100gb per month allowancw to stop from going over the limit:eek:

Don't know what the download limit is with the mobile broadband but it sounds like you are downloading movies/tv shows if you can't survive on 100GB.

Also remember, the speeds will be so much slower on mobile than even the crappy 3MB you have now (it will be motorway compared to USB mobile internet!)

i don't have 100gb limit i only have 30gb with eircom, what i was saying was that 100gb would be what i need to make sure i do not exceed the limit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I use an O2 hub instead of a dongley thing. Dont go with 3, shower of Indian crooks, awful customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I use an O2 hub instead of a dongley thing. Dont go with 3, shower of Indian crooks, awful customer service

Exactly!

Completely useless.

It has gone to the stage now with them where the only option my parents would have is to report them to Comreg who are also completely useless.

So if you have a valid problem with a broadband company (valid= not a problem with a crap spyware/virus ridden PC that you are blaming inernet provider for) then you have nowhere to go with it. In UK Offcom are of some use to you but here in Ireland broadband and the complaints procedure are a joke. (like a lot of other things in this country)

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound good at all.

Advertisement