Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreambox IP address

• 17-11-2010 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Ok stick with me, hope this is an easy one: Ive a DM in the kitchen and a DM in the living room, now the problem is ive a main modem/router in the kitchen where phoneline comes in (3 ethernet ports used and 1 ethernet port feeding a 2nd router in the living room), so this is my dilema:

Im trying to control the DM thats in the living room via a laptop, but cant find it.

BAsically this is the situataion:
    Vodafone wifi router (192.168.1.onwards), printer, Desktop, DM in kitchen, then 30m cable to living room. All works fine, DM has a IP adress of 192.168.1.77, can connect and control no problem.

Router in Living room (192.168.0.onwards), Edison, Desktop, DM. All connect to the vodafone router no problems and connect to internet no problem. DM has an IP address of 192.168.0.87

Now my laptops use the vodafone wifi router (IP addresses of 192.168.1.onwards), so how do i connect to the DM in the living room behind the 2nd router hub?

I put in the IP address of the 2nd DM into Web browser like i do for the one in the kitchen, but it wont connect, is it the fact its a 2nd router issuing different IP addresses from the main wifi router???

So to sum up:
    Vodafone modem/router (192.168.1.0nwards)-Lynksys router hub(192.168.0.onwards)-DM500s(192.168.0.87)

Hope this makes sense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

snaps wrote: »
    Ok stick with me, hope this is an easy one: Ive a DM in the kitchen and a DM in the living room, now the problem is ive a main modem/router in the kitchen where phoneline comes in (3 ethernet ports used and 1 ethernet port feeding a 2nd router in the living room), so this is my dilema:

Im trying to control the DM thats in the living room via a laptop, but cant find it.

BAsically this is the situataion:
    Vodafone wifi router (192.168.1.onwards), printer, Desktop, DM in kitchen, then 30m cable to living room. All works fine, DM has a IP adress of 192.168.1.77, can connect and control no problem.

Router in Living room (192.168.0.onwards), Edison, Desktop, DM. All connect to the vodafone router no problems and connect to internet no problem. DM has an IP address of 192.168.0.87

Now my laptops use the vodafone wifi router (IP addresses of 192.168.1.onwards), so how do i connect to the DM in the living room behind the 2nd router hub?

I put in the IP address of the 2nd DM into Web browser like i do for the one in the kitchen, but it wont connect, is it the fact its a 2nd router issuing different IP addresses from the main wifi router???

So to sum up:
    Vodafone modem/router (192.168.1.0nwards)-Lynksys router hub(192.168.0.onwards)-DM500s(192.168.0.87)

Hope this makes sense?

Why have you two routers, do you have 2 ISPs? What type of routers are they? (EDIT: I see you included that!!) Also, why are the 2 routers on different subnets?

I am going to assume you are using the second router just for switching, and it isn't routing to its WAN interface. If that is the case, just add a second IP address to your network card on the laptop in the same subnet as the router you want to get to. That is (depending on OS - control panel -> network conenctions -> Wireless Interface -> TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced -> Add - in here an a second IP address to your laptop for the subnet in the sitting room.) Your laptop should have 2 IP addresses now (a 192.168.0.x and a 192.168.1.x) You should be able to connect to both DMs now.

Strange setup though snaps, what not keep them on the same subnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

what azzeretti said... or you can do the following;

a) change your 2nd router to a simple network switch

or

b) change your 2nd router's settings to switch off the DHCP server and get it to pick up an address from the 1st router

it is all a bit simpler if you keep everything on the same subnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Not enough ethernet ports on the 1st router so i used what i had (An old lynksys router), dont want to keep spending money on stuff when hopefully i can use what i have.

The other option is to enable the wireless on the 2nd router and log into that that way??

what azzeretti said... or you can do the following;

a) change your 2nd router to a simple network switch

or

b) change your 2nd router's settings to switch off the DHCP server and get it to pick up an address from the 1st router

Thats just it mate, i lack knowledge of networking etc.

So all i need to do on that 2nd router is switch off DHCP, anything else i need to do? Then will it be in the 192.168.1.x range, issuing 192.168.1.x ip's to devices connected to it?

• Advertisement

So all i need to do on that 2nd router is switch off DHCP, anything else i need to do? Then will it be in the 192.168.1.x range, issuing 192.168.1.x ip's to devices connected to it?

I had the similar issues myself recently with 2 wireless routers - was trying to get one to run in slave mode and act as an extender for the main one -> nightmare, turned out not to be possible with the router I had.

back OT now - (as well as switching off DHCP) You'll have to give your 2nd router an IP in the 192.168.0.x range -> either (a) a fixed one through its admin pages or (b) get it to look up one from your first routers DHCP

I'd go with (a)...
    I'm guessing that your 1st router is 192.168.0.1 - I'd then give the second router a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 (you can probably also get your main/1st router to start dishing out IPs at 192.168.0.3 and above)

Hope it work for you snaps

i'll take a look, see how easy it is to to, the thing is everything is working fine, but i just cant log onto the DM with my laptop thats connected to the 1st subnet router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Snaps - if you add the second IP address to your network card you won't need to change anything on either router. The instructions I set out in my first post is the easiest way to do what you want. You don't need to touch any settings on either routher that way.

See the link below, it explains it and shows, in images, how to add a second IP address to your PC/Laptop.

_http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/how-to-addassign-multiple-ip-address-in-vistaxp20002003/

azzeretti wrote: »
    Snaps - if you add the second IP address to your network card you won't need to change anything on either router. The instructions I set out in my first post is the easiest way to do what you want. You don't need to touch any settings on either routher that way.

See the link below, it explains it and shows, in images, how to add a second IP address to your PC/Laptop.

_http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/how-to-addassign-multiple-ip-address-in-vistaxp20002003/

Em, it doesnt look that easy but ill give it a go.

Like i say, networking isn't my strong point!!

I had the similar issues myself recently with 2 wireless routers - was trying to get one to run in slave mode and act as an extender for the main one -> nightmare, turned out not to be possible with the router I had.

back OT now - (as well as switching off DHCP) You'll have to give your 2nd router an IP in the 192.168.0.x range -> either (a) a fixed one through its admin pages or (b) get it to look up one from your first routers DHCP

I'd go with (a)...
    I'm guessing that your 1st router is 192.168.0.1 - I'd then give the second router a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 (you can probably also get your main/1st router to start dishing out IPs at 192.168.0.3 and above)

Hope it work for you snaps

Right, My 1st router (Vodafone modem) is 192.168.1.x
    If i turn my DHCP off in the 2nd router (Lynksys), i gives me an IP address of 192.168.1.2. When i go to save the settings is asks/tells me to "Please config one DNS to complete setting"????

• Advertisement

Right, My 1st router (Vodafone modem) is 192.168.1.x
    If i turn my DHCP off in the 2nd router (Lynksys), i gives me an IP address of 192.168.1.2. When i go to save the settings is asks/tells me to "Please config one DNS to complete setting"????

feck... :(
    looks like your Lynksys router will not allow you do disable "router" part and have it operate as a simple switch.

I think you'll have to go with azzeretti's solution and add a 2nd IP addr to your laptop...

failing that pick up a cheap switch to replace your 2nd router - it will simplify your home network

thanks

Advertisement