Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Council offers bike scheme for deliveries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sounds like a good idea in general

but
    The scheme would be retained long term to protect road surfaces in pedestrianised areas such as Grafton Street and Henry Street and to allow for the better operation of bus systems in the city centre.

How do you replace a full 25 ton truck with these, not exactly practical for large volume deliveries is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Some more info about "La Petite Reine":

http://www.lapetitereine.com/fr/index.php

I only linked to the original French to make me appear all suave like. I actually had to click on the Union Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I like the look of this development! I'll be interested to see whether it catches on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The .ie URL on the bike doesn't appear to work :(

Curious, these things would be hard going up a hill when fully loaded do they have motors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

La Petite Reine's bikes are electrically assisted and can take up to 180kgs. It's not a new idea, Velocity Couriers have been using cargo bikes in Dublin for 18 months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Jawgap wrote: »
    from the paper of record......

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1117/1224283529245.html

finally, I should be able to catch and overtake a few couriers!:)

Metro North - that'll be built some time after the Shannon is drained and the Titanic is raised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

In principle I think it's a great idea but I've got to admit that I wouldn't want to be trying to manoeuvre one of those relatively large bikes through existing Dublin traffic myself. I also think that Velocity Couriers, mentioned earlier, are a great idea and very practical - I wonder if they get a lot of business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess you'd have to just join all the traffic streams. No going up the inside.

If these come about, I bet we'll get a lot more contra-flow exemptions for cyclists. Shops like getting their goods on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I was at the presentation yesterday, and the council are planning on closing off some streets to traffic in the city centre, as well as possibly allowing cyclists on the pedestrian walkways.

Velocity Couriers are doing very well thanks, picking up new clients all the time.

Advertisement