Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pledge Music

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭

Got a mail off someone I half know last night asking me to donate money to their band (so that they can make their 'dream' 3rd album) via the Pledge Music website.

I initially thought this was some sort of elaborate spam-style-Nigerian-bank account scam but it seems that this is legit.

Is this common now in the music industry? Whatever happened to traditional methods of funding ie. getting a part time job to pursue your 'dreams'. I know plenty of people in bands who have worked their arses off, got bank loans, played an insane amount of gigs etc. and never resorted to begging off family & friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

It's kind of a good idea.

It's more difficult now than ever to make money doing independent music. You can pretty much strike money from album sales off the list. And touring pays little more than the cost of petrol, food and somewhere to stay.

Besides, it's not just straight up begging. The little I've seen of it, it seems to involve the people who donate getting specific things back in return for set amounts of investment. eg. if you give 10 quid you get thanked in the sleeve notes, 20 you get a free album sent out to you a few weeks before release. Right up to stuff like giving a couple of hundred quid means you travel with the band for a few dates on their tour.

I can't see there being much incentive for people to invest in brand new unknown acts, but for established, interesting acts it could work. Especially if the acts have die hard fans that want the act to actually make albums.

Of course working a dead end job to fund your musical exploits sounds romantic, but the reality is that most who do that fail at music because it ends up being that their music takes a back seat, especially as there is little money in it.

The vast majority of people in music are hobbyists, they just don't know it yet. For the few that are able to, and worthy of, doing it professionally the pledging of money could certainly help. Especially since, as I said, very little money comes back to the independent artist in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thanks for the reply pinksoir - some interesting points.

I guess what really grates with me is that guy in question has barely worked a day in his life. He's been living the dream of being in a band on the back of his daddy's pension for about 5 yrs. I'd have a lot more respect for him (and would probably even donate some cash) if he wasn't such a complete and utter waster.

From talking him over the years as well, it's been clear that they've been totally brainwashed by agents, record companies etc. They're always playing a gig at some obscure venue that is owned by some obscure guy that sang backing vocals on a Top 40 hit in 1987, and this could be their big break. I think the current fundraising push is due to their choice of producer for the 'dream' album - the guy was a drummer in a fairly big Irish band about 15 yrs ago and I'm sure they're paying thru the nose for his 'expertise'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Interesting read below about the band Marillion, who tried something similar a few years back . . . the fanbase (through pre-orders) basically paid for the recording of the band's album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marillion#Anoraknophobia_and_Marbles_.282000.E2.80.932006.29

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply pinksoir - some interesting points.

I guess what really grates with me is that guy in question has barely worked a day in his life. He's been living the dream of being in a band on the back of his daddy's pension for about 5 yrs. I'd have a lot more respect for him (and would probably even donate some cash) if he wasn't such a complete and utter waster.

From talking him over the years as well, it's been clear that they've been totally brainwashed by agents, record companies etc. They're always playing a gig at some obscure venue that is owned by some obscure guy that sang backing vocals on a Top 40 hit in 1987, and this could be their big break. I think the current fundraising push is due to their choice of producer for the 'dream' album - the guy was a drummer in a fairly big Irish band about 15 yrs ago and I'm sure they're paying thru the nose for his 'expertise'.
    Yeah, the pledge system would only work if the band or artist was deserving of it. Which is why it's a good idea. For example, I'd happily pay 10 or 20 quid to Jason Lytle (Grandaddy) if it meant he could fund a new album. And that's because I get so much enjoyment out of his records and would buy it anyway after it's released. Essentially it's a way for artists to guage public interest, not be in massive debt after recording/mastering/promotion and give something extra back to the fans.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But new ways to make and sell music have to be investigated.

But I agree. Some dude emailing you out of the blue is a bit much. Especially if you're not a fan.

teekayd25 wrote: »
    Interesting read below about the band Marillion, who tried something similar a few years back . . . the fanbase (through pre-orders) basically paid for the recording of the band's album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marillion#Anoraknophobia_and_Marbles_.282000.E2.80.932006.29
    Interesting...

• Advertisement
Advertisement