Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Decemberists, Vicar Street, March 2011

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:14am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up pre-sale tickets to this, public sale begins on Friday :) Am thoroughly looking forward to it. While the band are often dismissed as alt folk for hipsters, they are a fantastic live band and have a tonne of wonderfully energetic, unique and strange faux-folk songs under their belt. Have been dying to see them live again for years - and was crushed when they bypassed Ireland with their Hazards of Love tour, as I'd have loved to see that album performed live - so this should be great :)

Also: Mariner's Revenge Song ftw!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cheers for the presale heads up! Bastid! (me joko)

Will be getting tickets for this... (me broko)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

On sale now via their website and then redirection to ticketmaster.ie

Just picked up pre-sale tickets to this, public sale begins on Friday :) Am thoroughly looking forward to it. While the band are often dismissed as alt folk for hipsters, they are a fantastic live band and have a tonne of wonderfully energetic, unique and strange faux-folk songs under their belt. Have been dying to see them live again for years - and was crushed when they bypassed Ireland with their Hazards of Love tour, as I'd have loved to see that album performed live - so this should be great :)

Also: Mariner's Revenge Song ftw!

Ha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNV7eCU2R0

I never heard that one before, I only really know their main album, but thought they were definitely worth going to.

in other news Sufjan has confirmed a Uk/Europe tour in Spring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ha

I never heard that one before, I only really know their main album, but thought they were definitely worth going to.

where did you hear the sufjan news?

lordgoat wrote: »
    where did you hear the sufjan news?

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=news&cd=2&ved=0CCoQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2F6music%2Fnews%2F20101111_sufjan_tour.shtml&ei=GIvlTP28LpGKhQfxzvziDA&usg=AFQjCNGS-_-ZwmNBWw0XtqRlcWj8fQq2QQ

Mainly from googling sufjan europe on google new every day ;)

He is touring US now, then off to sydney in Januar so hopefully he will be close to home Mar/April maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Ha

What's their main album?

The Crane Wife,

At least thats the one I was referring to, Its the one I'm most familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

WWWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Seen them live three times before and they're excellent live. Except one of the times in England Colin was really sick. He kept having to leave the stage and then eventually they said they were sorry but he couldn't carry on. Was gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Caught them in Vicar St a few year ago. They were excellent.

I was gutted when they canceled the last time about 3 years ago. I really hope the new album is better than the last one, I had no love for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Loved Hazards of Love and was really disappointed not to see that live. But have my tickets got and am a happy puppy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Pwezem

Found out a few days ago, absolutely sickened that it's over 18's.
    Just months off being able to go. My Favourite Band at the moment.

You guys be a good Audience now, Get them to come back :L

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I don't know if you're willing to risk it but Vicar St. but the staff are REALLY lenient on ID. I personally have never been asked for it and technically it's not illegal to have under 18's gigs as the bar is in the other room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

risk it for a biscuit my man

no guarantees but if you dont get in you can sell the ticket outside if its a sell out

Pwezem wrote: »
    Found out a few days ago, absolutely sickened that it's over 18's.
    Just months off being able to go. My Favourite Band at the moment.

You guys be a good Audience now, Get them to come back :L

If money is short, I am so confident you will get in that I can get you a ticket and if you don't get in I wont charge you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Pwezem

Hey again guys, I was just on the ticketmaster site looking at the page for this gig, but there's no indication that it's an over 18's gig anymore.
    Same thing happened when i went to see CKY in the Academy, At first tickets were over 18's, but they got rid of it once they didn't sell enough. Could it be the case here? Any way i can find out for sure?

Edit:
    Here's the Link to the Page

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800456FB74B4C8B

Anyone know what time the doors are for this? It says half 8 on ticketmaster but that seems very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spikadelica

Vicar St site says 20:00 for the doors

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Woo, pumped for this now :)

Still think the King is Dead is a wee bit blander than their last few albums, but still excited to hear the material live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ugh. Forgot this was tonight. I don't really like the new album but I might try and find a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Can't wait for this gig. Have only got into the band in the past year. And have only ever listened to Picturesque, Crane Wife & new album. Don't really have any favourites. Probably reason why I dig new album more than some die hard fans. Looking forward to hearing the new tunes live. Just been listening to some older songs there on youtube, that I hadn't heard before. Kinda like last minute cramming before an exam!! Also heard support band are supposed to be pretty reputable.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what time the box office opens/closes in vicar street?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Strong start to the gig, weakish middle, and an explosive, energetic conclusion. They played some of the best stuff off the new album at the start, then a couple of classics like Shankill Butcher and We Both Go Down Together. Then a few bland numbers - some new, some old. Didn't feel like they had much energy. But from the Rake's Song onwards (loved the percussion there) it was a brilliant gig. 16 Military Wives was great, but the Mariner's Revenge Song was spectacular. The slower Summer Hymn was a nice round-off.

A little disappointing that they didn't have the same consistent energy they had last time I saw them, but the last few songs is some of the most fun I've had at a concert!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Strong start to the gig, weakish middle, and an explosive, energetic conclusion. They played some of the best stuff off the new album at the start, then a couple of classics like Shankill Butcher and We Both Go Down Together. Then a few bland numbers - some new, some old. Didn't feel like they had much energy. But from the Rake's Song onwards (loved the percussion there) it was a brilliant gig. 16 Military Wives was great, but the Mariner's Revenge Song was spectacular. The slower Summer Hymn was a nice round-off.

A little disappointing that they didn't have the same consistent energy they had last time I saw them, but the last few songs is some of the most fun I've had at a concert!

funny but thought the complete opposite, start was just fine, thought the middle was amazing with HOL and Crane wife stuff back to back, had waited so long to see that live.

VERY mixed crowd, the diversity of their music showed with the eclectic audience. That will be a downfall for them tbh when it comes to live performance in a "can't please em all" way

funny but thought the complete opposite, start was just fine, thought the middle was amazing with HOL and Crane wife stuff back to back, had waited so long to see that live.

VERY mixed crowd, the diversity of their music showed with the eclectic audience. That will be a downfall for them tbh when it comes to live performance in a "can't please em all" way

I did like the HOL and Crane Wife, but just thought the performance was a little bland maybe. Don't know - just a lengthy period when I wasn't quite feeling it!

Definitely agree about the crowd, was nearer the back and very few people seemed to be 'feeling it' so to speak. A shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Agree 99% with this, but thought that it would have been best to have ended it on Mariner's Revenge Song when the whole place was electric rather than calm it all down again with June Hymn. Good gig.

wowy wrote: »
    Agree 99% with this, but thought that it would have been best to have ended it on Mariner's Revenge Song when the whole place was electric rather than calm it all down again with June Hymn. Good gig.

I left after Mariner's Revenge Song because I knew June Hymn was coming.

Advertisement