Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Knocked Down in Dublin 15

• 17-11-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I just wanted to post this here in case the cat's owner was looking for it.

This was on the carpenterstown road between the roundabout by Laverna Avenue and the roundabout by Sycamore Avenue. The cat was almost completely black with some white and it was definitely a well fed and well looked after cat.

On my way to work this morning, the car travelling in the opposite direction to me hit a cat and just drove off. I jumped out of my car and moved the cat to the grass verge at the side of the road but it died in less than a minute. I rang my vet but it was too late to do anything for the cat. I also told a lady coming out of a nearby house in case it belonged to her or her neighbours.

I hope it helps the owner to know that it died while I was stroking it and it died very quickly. In fact, I'm fairly sure it was in shock immeidately after being hit as it had pretty bad head injuries.

Even though I've never owned a cat (I've a dog), I cried all the way to work. It was just so sad. RIP little cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Ironic username :( Sorry to hear that OP glad you stopped and moved it off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

So glad I know my 2 were inside this morning when I left. My heart goes out to the unfortunate owner who reads this post or finds out this evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

So glad I know my 2 were inside this morning when I left. My heart goes out to the unfortunate owner who reads this post or finds out this evening :(

It didn't even occur to me that the owner could have already gone to work and anyone on boards.ie living in that area with a black cat might spent the rest of today stressing that it might be theirs. I only posted up in case the owner spent the next few days/weeks looking for his/her cat and worrying about it or if they had kids who were upset that the cat was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

and how nice of you to stop i no so many people that would just ignore it and drive on! well done for trying X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If its still there on your way home call into Blanch vets in the Main Street to see if its microchipped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Credit to the OP.
    it was very good of you to do what you did.

I've 3 cats myself and if one was to die on the road god forbid.
    I would be eternally grateful for it being moved and left there in an undignified manner.

And strange as it may seem, I'm also glad that that poor kitty passed away having a good person next to them at their passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

anniehoo wrote: »
    If its still there on your way home call into Blanch vets in the Main Street to see if its microchipped.

I'll do this. I was just so upset at the time that I didn't think of it. I did check for a collar or id of any kind but there wasn't anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I'll do this. I was just so upset at the time that I didn't think of it. I did check for a collar or id of any kind but there wasn't anything.

Firstly, well done for posting - at least there are some decent people left the world!

Don't want to sound too gross but if you are going to bring it to the vet you'll need a bin bag or something similar to carry it in, just to be prepared. The vet should dispose of the poor creature for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Thinking about this all day actually and brings back some memories about a pet rat I had 3 years ago. A strange bond form with creature and owner as it passes. The poor thing was not strong enogh to survive an anaesthetic given to it when it was being neutered.

As it was dying, it crawled up to my chest and just kind of "rested" while gazing at me. As if it was saying "its ok". He then snuggled into a ball and passed 20 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The vet might also be able to scan and see if the cat was microchipped.
    If it was, they could contact the owners, so at least they'll know what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement