Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x08 "Malice" [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't think it was anywhere near as good as last weeks episode and I'm kinda sad to see Ginn gone too, but probably more for Eli's sake than anything, not to mention losing a bit of eye candy. :)

i kinda have a feeling it's slipping backwards into mediocrity again too, it was all a little underwhelming. :(

What did you think of Malice? 59 votes

[i]Great[/i]
    0%
    Good
    44%
    YakuzaD-GeneratePepe LeFritsstereo_stevePeaceDingChavezphill106BlowfishOverhealminidazzlerGunmonkeyKersmashhelimachoptortoken56don ramoJames74TheKellsAntar Bolaeisk-Trek-constantg 26 votes
    McKay
    45%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarMemnochBabyEaterPugsleyLoGiEjor elsomujSarnTzetzeRichard DowerCalidenOmegaRedRon DMCcooperguyGoldsteinThe GnomeTheIrishGrover5starpoolred davejohnnysmack 27 votes
    Oh, new episode.. yay.
    10%
    VenomBlitzKriegvibe666FGRalastair_doomDublin_Bud 6 votes
    I canna do it colonel!
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

McKay
    It was a good episode. Nothing spectacular tho. I like the way has Rush iron balls too, not afraid to throw a few punches or go out and murder. Makes him more interesting I think. Really couldnt stand Eli in this episode. How long has he even been interested in Gin and he already gone homicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Good
    Really enjoyed tonights episode as well though two good episodes together mean we're due an abysmal episode next week. It's a shame they've already killed off T-Bag (is it bad that I only know him by this name though I've never seen more than the first three episodes of Prison Break before getting bored of it?) and the redhead. With those two dead it's just LA Guy left from the alliance, right?

Also, how daft did it look that T-Bag was missing everyone with his high powered, scoped rifle yet was able to one-shot everyone with the pistol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

McKay
    damnit
    why gin
    why

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good
    I spoiled it for myself on Gateworld so I knew she was gonna die. Shame. But it did help to enjoy the rest of the episode. Aside from a couple corny explosions (And one very clever one) I liked it.

Rush did the right thing. He was never, ever going to give up that information. He was one of those guys that believed in dying for the cause.
    Really couldnt stand Eli in this episode. How long has he even been interested in Gin and he already gone homicidal.
    He was pretty head over heels for her and then the next thing he sees is her dead on the floor with her neck snapped. What would you do?
    Also, how daft did it look that T-Bag was missing everyone with his high powered, scoped rifle yet was able to one-shot everyone with the pistol
    The wonderful world of physics, range, windage, heat, etc. vs. a short range stable environment like the ship's corridor. Not to mention the nature of the plot device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Good
    Thought it was a great episode. Thank good lt boobs is ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

McKay
    Thought that episode was quite good. Expected Ginn and Perry to die but didn't think they'd kill off Simeon! He was a cool character to have around, just the look of evil about him. Was happy the way he died though, trampled by dinosaurs can't be nice.
    So Rush is now capable of murder. As was mentioned in the ep, that changes a person, wonder if he'll start getting violent now rather than just whining about command decisions and stuff.
    Was also nice to not see Ray in this episode, good to get a break from her constant complaining.

Not much really to look forward to in next week's episode though which is annoying, hopefully it won't just be a filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Good
    phill106 wrote: »
    Thought it was a great episode. Thank good lt boobs is ok!

Her funbags broke her fall! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Good
    Really enjoyed this episode and we don't know how long passed between when eli met ginn and when she had her neck snapped. Could of been a good few weeks or something in their time.

Chloes just a pain in the arse though turn her into something besides a whiney little bitch and she might be interesting to watch.

Overall I really enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

McKay
    A depressed Eli for the next few episodes...great. Good to see Rush is a man of his convictions. Staying to disarm the bomb when he could have just legged it shows he's not out just for himself. A great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Overheal wrote: »
    Rush did the right thing. He was never, ever going to give up that information. He was one of those guys that believed in dying for the cause.

Really? I think they could have just written it like that if they wanted!

I loved the episode, think it is probably one of the best so far.

Eli is annoying, Chloe is a pudgey arseface and Rush is getting more complex by the minute.

Couple of things annoyed me. Simeon is out there in the dunes or whatever and the teams of three (especially Scott, Rush and Grier's) are having f-ing conversations, consoling each other etc. FFS how he didn't off them all is beyond me - or why he didn't take a couple out with his sniper rifle when they came through the gate, or even pop Rush when he was attempting to disarm it.

Also, Rush at the end. I am ssuming he isn't such a bad shot that he would miss 6 or 7 times from that range with Simeon's back turned so I assume he missed on purpose. Seems like overkill - I mean why not just shoot him and negate the need for the C4 explosion? Seemed like a case of "well I've set up this nice big trap so I'm going to risk my life for the sexy kill".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed this week's episode. A great opening, albeit extremely bleak (even by this show's standards. It's rivalling "Millennium" for darkness).

As others have said it was interesting to see how Rush stood by his convictions. He didn't waver, he just kept going for it. Now though he's nothing to care for and he's killed a man. He also has less friends than ever and people will actively mistrust him, even if they need him. It could lead to some interesting drama.

I think Eli's form was understandable this episode - you're allowed be a bit off form when the only girl you've ever been with is brutally murdered. He also seemed more assertive this week, and I'm hoping he focuses his grief into being productive.
    noodler wrote: »
    Also, Rush at the end. I am ssuming he isn't such a bad shot that he would miss 6 or 7 times from that range with Simeon's back turned so I assume he missed on purpose.
    I initially assumed he was just a bad shot (after all he's got no military training and I doubt it's that easy to shoot, even at distance) and that "The Lion King" manoeuvre was a backup strategy. It makes more sense if that's the case (even if you're more likely right).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good
    Thought this was excellent. After a load of lads getting shot i thought the chick with the bomb on her back was dead for sure.

I guess the LA leader is going to be brought more into the show but where is the hot ass going to be provided from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

It looked like at the end that he was trying to bargain for his life but rush didnt even hesitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Oh, new episode.. yay.
    Also, Rush at the end. I am ssuming he isn't such a bad shot that he would miss 6 or 7 times from that range with Simeon's back turned so I assume he missed on purpose.
    no, handguns just aren't that accurate over moderate distances, particularly when aimed with one hand AND in the hands of someone who doesn't have much experience using one. it's not like it is in the movies you know. ;)

a trained marksman would probably comfortably planted a couple of rounds on him at that distance, but rush isn't one and as such i thought it was a fairly realistic scene in that regard, altho simeon wouldn't have been nearly that accurate shooting a rifle one handed from the hip like that whilst walking along with a bullet already in his leg (imho).

fingers crossed they don't let Eli near chloe next episode or the whole ship could get sucked into a black hole made of their miserable snivelling existence(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

McKay
    BKtje wrote: »
    It looked like at the end that he was trying to bargain for his life but rush didnt even hesitate.

Yep, but he would probably have lied. He already told the leader guy that he was feeding them lies, but the leader told Simion that the rest of them were telling the truth, hence Gin had to go.

Didn't expect it to open with Gin's dead body on the floor, thought maybe there'd be a struggle happening or something. I think Rush is going to find it hard to get anyone to trust him, or even speak to him, from now on. Surely Young won't be too happy about him killing their only lead on the imminent attack, even if Simion would never have told them anything.

Now that they have control over Destiny's direction, they may be able to more doubling back than they'd planned to. Perhaps re-visit the gate ship to see if Telford is still about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good
    jor el wrote: »
    Now that they have control over Destiny's direction, they may be able to more doubling back than they'd planned to. Perhaps re-visit the gate ship to see if Telford is still about?

I'm suprised this hasn't already been mentioned. Hopefully next episode they will circle back and try to collect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Oh, new episode.. yay.
    its still a little odd that they have "complete control over all of destiny's systems" but they couldn't figure out how to his the snooze button on the timer until chlo-alien had a bash at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

McKay
    Ginn - RIP, along with bloody SGU for me....they kill off one good reason to watch the show?....meh!

As stated, very bleak and depressing ep. - this ain't fun time SG-1 kiddies....this is hardcore Sci-Fi, not a bad ep. overall. Rush by far the most interesting character and deserved that Gemini award he got. Chloe....jebus, she looks sooooo unhappy all the time.

I'm gonna engage "creepy perv" mode here, but she sure as hell better be good in bed 'cause i can't see any other reason for her existance, even if she went all Borg and started taking over ships systems, jumped Destiny back to the blue aliens, hell even if she got drunk and did a sexy dance.......SOMETHING!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good
    Couple of things annoyed me. Simeon is out there in the dunes or whatever and the teams of three (especially Scott, Rush and Grier's) are having f-ing conversations, consoling each other etc. FFS how he didn't off them all is beyond me - or why he didn't take a couple out with his sniper rifle when they came through the gate, or even pop Rush when he was attempting to disarm it.

Also, Rush at the end. I am ssuming he isn't such a bad shot that he would miss 6 or 7 times from that range with Simeon's back turned so I assume he missed on purpose. Seems like overkill - I mean why not just shoot him and negate the need for the C4 explosion? Seemed like a case of "well I've set up this nice big trap so I'm going to risk my life for the sexy kill".
    Simeon didnt have a sniper rifle, just an auto/semi auto assault rife with a scope on it, not very accurate in the hands of someone whos not trained to use it, compare his shooting and Greers shot to the leg of Simeon.

As mentioned handguns are not accurate at that distance in the hands of people not trained to use them.
    Peace wrote: »
    Thought this was excellent. After a load of lads getting shot i thought the chick with the bomb on her back was dead for sure.

I guess the LA leader is going to be brought more into the show but where is the hot ass going to be provided from?
    I'm really hoping more TJ and Lt. Boobs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Good

Didn't expect it to open with Gin's dead body on the floor, thought maybe there'd be a struggle happening or something. I think Rush is going to find it hard to get anyone to trust him, or even speak to him, from now on. Surely Young won't be too happy about him killing their only lead on the imminent attack, even if Simion would never have told them anything.

I don't think there is a good reason to take from this episode to not trust rush.

He wouldn't have been able to take Simion in alive on his own anyway, Simion would not have talked and if he had tried to take simion alive he would simply have been killed.

The rest of the military personnel left Simion on the planet regardless, and he would simply have lived with even more knowledge of Destiny, should he find a way home, so his death does nothing except allow us to see Rush being a cold S.O.B. when it comes to exacting revenge.

I really liked the episode, as with everyone, I hate Chloe, I think she was brought in at the start with the intention of doing something but they realised she had the emotional range of a Goldfish so now she is the silent crazy girl who uses dandruff on her drawings.

Eli, I still like, I could empathise with what he wanted to do, even if he didn't have the capability to do it, regarding finding and killing Simion, I see why he was so beat up about it too, it wasn't so much about his interest in her that made him so angry when she died, more her interest in him!

Overall a good episode, 5/5.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    no, handguns just aren't that accurate over moderate distances, particularly when aimed with one hand AND in the hands of someone who doesn't have much experience using one. it's not like it is in the movies you know. ;)

a trained marksman would probably comfortably planted a couple of rounds on him at that distance, but rush isn't one and as such i thought it was a fairly realistic scene in that regard, altho simeon wouldn't have been nearly that accurate shooting a rifle one handed from the hip like that whilst walking along with a bullet already in his leg (imho).

Thats fair enough but coem on, he took about 6 or 7 shots at Simion without ever seriously taking aim.

If some people feel he his misses were not deliberate then fair enough but I have a hard time buying it.
    Simeon didnt have a sniper rifle, just an auto/semi auto assault rife with a scope on it, not very accurate in the hands of someone whos not trained to use it, compare his shooting and Greers shot to the leg of Simeon.

I think you are really reaching with theat comparison - I'd love to think the SGU writers were so thoughtful in their process that they made Geer a better shot than Simeon because of the implicit assumption that he was trained to use it but I doubt it. If we want to really get anal about this, could we not argue that Lucian Alliance weapons (or even G'ould weapons) are even more difficult to aim with than human rifles? So in theory, human weapons with their scopes, grips etc are even easier to use?

Anyway, I realise I am harping on about pointless technical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

McKay
    Simion was well able to shoot the Kino out of the sky. A rather miniscual target when compared to the size of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

McKay
    I don't think there is a good reason to take from this episode to not trust rush.

He does exactly what he wants, when he wants, and to hell with the consequences. Even after being caught out with the whole bridge secret, and saying he'd be co-operative now, he still goes off on his own to do his own thing. Greer already doesn't trust him, and I think that even though Simion would never have gone back willingly or told them anything, Young and the some of the others will not see killing Simion as the right thing to do.

He does exactly what he wants, when he wants, and to hell with the consequences. Even after being caught out with the whole bridge secret, and saying he'd be co-operative now, he still goes off on his own to do his own thing. Greer already doesn't trust him, and I think that even though Simion would never have gone back willingly or told them anything, Young and the some of the others will not see killing Simion as the right thing to do.

I am sure it is not an aspect the show will deal with but I would have thought there'd be some strong admiration / respect / surprise at the fact Rush managed to take down someone who the rest of the ship's military officers could not.

vibe666 wrote: »

fingers crossed they don't let Eli near chloe next episode or the whole ship could get sucked into a black hole made of their miserable snivelling existence(s).

And by the way, while you are being annoying and 'winky', hasn't Rusah used a handgun in this serious more than once?

More importantly, wouldn't have he had to have underwnet some sort of military basic training to be part of the Icarus base detatchment? Not saying it would make him a sharpshooter but that he would have been prepared for the basic stuff like recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good
    BKtje wrote: »
    What it looked like was the end of Die Hard 2. He wasn't willing to negotiate at all, he just wanted to squirm his way out of dying so he could kill more people later.
    somuj wrote: »
    Simion was well able to shoot the Kino out of the sky. A rather miniscual target when compared to the size of a man.
    Hipshooting at rush really didn't help his aim. I'm sure it would have been hard to go to scope in a standing position with a half-crippled leg. There's also the fact that he was wildly over-confident and wanted to torment Rush, it wouldn't have been fun to make it quick. If he was worried about Rush's aim he would have hobbled away.
    And by the way, while you are being annoying and 'winky', hasn't Rusah used a handgun in this serious more than once?
    And did he hit anything?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good
    Thats fair enough but coem on, he took about 6 or 7 shots at Simion without ever seriously taking aim.

If some people feel he his misses were not deliberate then fair enough but I have a hard time buying it.

I think you are really reaching with theat comparison - I'd love to think the SGU writers were so thoughtful in their process that they made Geer a better shot than Simeon because of the implicit assumption that he was trained to use it but I doubt it. If we want to really get anal about this, could we not argue that Lucian Alliance weapons (or even G'ould weapons) are even more difficult to aim with than human rifles? So in theory, human weapons with their scopes, grips etc are even easier to use?

Anyway, I realise I am harping on about pointless technical issues.

Discussion is good noodler! Rush i dont think is trained, I dont think its standard practice to combat train scientists, McKay/Jackson aside. And as Rush was on a Military base and not part of an expedition to a far off Galaxy help was relatively close.

Also if you look at Zat and staff "projectiles" they are a lot bigger than a bullet so they margin of error in aiming them can be greater. And from what i can remember of LA projectile weapons they all seem not have optics on them
    somuj wrote: »
    Yes but we have no idea how close he was to the Kino, where he was in relation to the Kino was not shown so its not really a valid comparison i dont think.

More importantly, wouldn't have he had to have underwnet some sort of military basic training to be part of the Icarus base detatchment? Not saying it would make him a sharpshooter but that he would have been prepared for the basic stuff like recoil.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

McKay
    A really good episode. Rush was brilliant as always and the story was solid. Eli is starting to get on my nerves though. His loses his virginity in the last episode, then runs around the ship telling anyone that will listen then behaves like a complete child in the control room....grrr. They should have just given the pilsbury doughboy a gun and let him go to the planet. Maybe have Simeon kick the **** out of him a bit before Rush saving him at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Overheal wrote: »
    And did he hit anything?

I think the point he is making is that while it may have not made him proficient with handguns after any supposed training, personal use of handguns we have seen and again in this EP that he would naturally be getting better.

Simply cause he didnt hit anything before and wasnt very good doesnt mean he will always be a bad shot, through use he should be getting better. We see this in this ep alone whie he takes aim for the kill.... a number of wild shots one handed soom prgoresses to single taps aimed down sights and correcty braces his firing wrist cupped with his free hand for control.

Its just another case of artistic license here for the sake of the ending, yes in reality he prob would have hit him... for the sake of a dramatic end of kessler it was more brutal to have him trampled.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »

Its just another case of artistic license here for the sake of the ending, yes in reality he prob would have hit him... for the sake of a dramatic end of kessler it was more brutal to have him trampled.

Precisely.

Still, it isn't important or anything..great episode.

Advertisement