Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - Where to invest?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello all. I am going to be made redundant in the coming weeks. Thankfully I don't feel as I'm in a bad situation yet and want to put some of the money I will be receiving away somewhere secure. Given the current financial climate, has anyone any good advice where to deposit it? I think now I am more concerned with security than profit, though a balance of both would be preferable. I have looked into offers across the banks and an Post, but I would like some opinions from your good selves before I decide.
    Thank you all.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Onthehill wrote: »
    Hello all. I am going to be made redundant in the coming weeks. Thankfully I don't feel as I'm in a bad situation yet and want to put some of the money I will be receiving away somewhere secure. Given the current financial climate, has anyone any good advice where to deposit it? I think now I am more concerned with security than profit, though a balance of both would be preferable. I have looked into offers across the banks and an Post, but I would like some opinions from your good selves before I decide.
    Thank you all.:)
    if its security you want and not profit then put it in a safe and bury under your lawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

He could meet up with this guy and go half's on the digger. :)

Maybe a term deposit account from Rabodirect.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Only you can ensure it's secure by monitoring the financial world. Don't leave it all in the hands of crooked banks. Silver funds that mirror the increasing price of silver would be a good idea. You should educate yourself, reuters etc. and you'll be able to judge what's safe and what are not. We can't give you opinions until you yourself have ideas about what you want. Feel free to ask for opinions in future.

MrK

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    Only you can ensure it's secure by monitoring the financial world. Don't leave it all in the hands of crooked banks. Silver funds that mirror the increasing price of silver would be a good idea. You should educate yourself, reuters etc. and you'll be able to judge what's safe and what are not. We can't give you opinions until you yourself have ideas about what you want. Feel free to ask for opinions in future.

MrK

A person who is most concerned with safety than profit should not use it to speculate on silver.

I suggest a foreign bank like Rabobank (suggested above), or a safety deposit box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

If you are putting your money away in a foreign bank account because you think the Irish bank systems will fail, then how do you suggest getting to your money when you have no access to atms ect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Joe Schmo wrote: »
    A person who is most concerned with safety than profit should not use it to speculate on silver.

I suggest a foreign bank like Rabobank (suggested above), or a safety deposit box.

Yes good advice regarding Rabbo.

Joe,
    OP states he would 'prefer a balance of both security and profit' hence my example of Silver,
    but also states 'i think i am more concered with security' hence your point.

Op,
    try and decide how much you're willing to invest and what you want to leave in the bank; a foreign bank, as suggested by Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Onthehill

Firstly thank you all for your valuable advice. I would try to bury it under the lawn but the lawn is not mine to dig up!! :) Yeah I have considered Rabo, as I have heard nothing but good things about it. I guess as Mr Cawley says it is a case of me keeping a close eye on the situation and deciding from there. The next couple of weeks will be time to watch closely. I guess it is always good to put the question out there to see the reaction and to hear of a direction I hadn't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Put it onto an Irish bank.
    That way you should at least have free bank changes on your current account etc.

Advertisement