Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with code

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

<?
    $CategoryID = $_GET;
    function get_param($param_name)
    {
    $param_value = "";
    if(isset($_POST[$param_name]))
    {$param_value = $_POST[$param_name];}
    else if(isset($_GET[$param_name]))
    {$param_value = $_GET[$param_name];}
    return $param_value;
    }
    ?>

im using this code someone else help me write but not sure how it works
    can someone give me an idea how it works thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

$CategoryID is getting the CATEGORY ID, i assume from the URL

if paramname is posted [form?] set the paramvalue to the name
    else get it from the url?

not giving much info here, codes as good as drivel to the reader

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

Keewee6 wrote: »
    <?
    $CategoryID = $_GET;
    function get_param($param_name)
    {
    $param_value = "";
    if(isset($_POST[$param_name]))
    {$param_value = $_POST[$param_name];}
    else if(isset($_GET[$param_name]))
    {$param_value = $_GET[$param_name];}
    return $param_value;
    }
    ?>

im using this code someone else help me write but not sure how it works
    can someone give me an idea how it works thanks

the code works i didnt write it though (i got help) and i was wonderin could someone explain it - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you cant just paste a snippet, i tried explaining it above

thats like posting a line from a book and asking what a line means, in what context ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Ok to break it down for you quickly...
    <?
    $CategoryID = $_GET['CategoryID'];

The $_GET function is used to collect values in a form where the method is "get", so in this case it's looking for a "CategoryID" value in a form that was submitted in the previous page. It's then assigning that value to a variable called $CategoryID (variables should begin in lowercase!!)
    function get_param($param_name) {

Easy enough, declaring a function called get_param, and passes in a value $param_name
    $param_value = "";

Declaring a variable to store the result, this will be returned at the end of the function.
    if(isset($_POST[$param_name])) {
      $param_value = $_POST[$param_name];
    }

An "if" block which checks if the parameter $param_name (value of whatever passed into the function) exists, and if so, assign that value to $param_value which will be eventually returned.

The built-in $_POST function is used to collect values from a form sent where the method is "post".
    else if(isset($_GET[$param_name])) {
      $param_value = $_GET[$param_name];
    }

If the parameter is not found using the $_POST function in the if block, we are trying to see if it exists for the $_GET function (explained at the top). If it is found, again assign the value of the parameter to the $param_value variable.

"post" and "get" are basically 2 different methods of passing data via a form, get sends the paramters in the URL. See here for more.
    return $param_value;
    }
    ?>

Finally, return the $param_value, if the parameter you are looking for was not passed into the form at all, the value would be "".

I don't know in what context you are using this because it's basically a function definition and you haven't shown any code where it is being invoked.

The first line doesn't make much sense either, since you have gone to the trouble of creating a function to get params from a form and not then using it, this should be:
    $CategoryID = get_param('CategoryID');

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jebuz wrote: »
    The $_GET function is used to collect values in a form where the method is "get"......

.......or where the link just has a parameter inbuilt into it, e.g.

page.php?CategoryID=22

Advertisement