Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New weather station

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Was going to get the grlfriend to get me a new android phone this christmas but meh i've decided on a new weather station instead :)

So what do you all have? And what would you recommend for someone like me (First weather station, Limited knowledge so far but a fast learner and willing to learn, Nothing over €400!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I was told to get the Davis Vantage Vue, I did not, I'm sad now!

http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Davis_Vantage_Vue.html?gclid=CM6sgo_Wp6UCFVBO4Qod2hQ7jg

And it comes in here just one cent under your budget ~ undoubtedly there'll be shipping fees extra.

I don't know anything about this company BTW, it's just the first link that popped up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its a tad bit cheaper on Weather shop.co.uk

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/brands/davis-instruments/vantage-vue/davis-vantage-vue-weather-station.html

I got mine from the same people, but at the time i only had enough to get a cheaper brand, .... but ye thats a real good one, especially to put data on ur pc to look at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Davis Vantage Vue is by far the best station out there for the price. I know its a little over your budget but its worth the extra few bob. You can see it in action at my website. www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Put this to her last night, Doesn't seem to keen on spending that much on it for me (but she does a phone? Woman eh?) She probably would get it for me but just incase, is there anything else even worth considering at a lower price or will i just press on with the davis :)

This is my one if you really wanna just get A station that has all the options on it as the Davis one, i personally think tough that it could be more accurate with wind speeds even tough i dont exactly hav it in the ideal place.... but ye , if u hav a good open garden ( not like mine) then it should do a reasonably good job!
    http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/brands/irox/irox-prox2-weather-station.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thanks ian, Can you get the data on your PC with that one aswell? Basically does everything the vantage does?

You can ye, but its not wireless, you hav to hav it connected, which then means u either have to hav the data screen situated near a computer or hav a labtop.

It comes with the programme weather display, theres so many things on that its kinda hard to get around i thought. But ye it can do graphs and stuff which is quite interesting to look at.

Got mine about a year and a half ago ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223254

This is the one I bought. Paid appox €200 in Maplin in Cork [Way too much actually and there are a few version very, very similar].

I have it just about four months now and I'm still setting it up effectively.

It came recommended for the price, but later I discovered those recommendations were for the same units selling at half the price I paid for it. So it's relative. For a €200 unit, certainly not recommended.

Three versions are made essentially, the wireless, the wired and the internal clock versions, also they may be battery or solar powered. If connecting to the PC, the receiver unit will use the PC clock so no need to spend the extra on an internal clock version.

Additionally, you'll need a pole to mount the short pole that comes with these kits, but one can simply plonk the thing in the grass and just work away.

Software: It comes with software other software available is about €70 to license and affords you the capability to upload the data to online networks.

These units do have a series of problems, I'm winding my way through them, slowly. I have the thing now so I just have to get on with it and make the modifications as I go. These include remodeling the rain can [I recorded 70mm of rain when in fact we got 30mm], making or buying a new shield for the temperature/pressure sensors and down the line replacing switches in both the wine vein and anemometer.

So, if I'd paid say €50 for it, I'd say it's grand. As a hobby, I don't mind too much making the mods, some lads are very pleased it after a while.

Advertisement