Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the best place to buy baby furniture in Ireland or Northern Ireland

• 17-11-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi, me and my wife are expecting our first and we,re looking to get new furniture. Can anyone reccomend any where in either Ireland to get furniture. Also I'm going up the the north in December, is it worthwhile to buy all the baby food, nappies and all that up there. Seems a lot cheaper up there.:D;):p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

For the furniture part Ikea without any doubt will give you great value and design for not a lot of cash:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Thanks Paddy,
    Ikea, do they have good quality? Hate all that flat pack stuff. I seem to always have extra screws when i put some thing together.
    What about baby food and all that, is Ireland cheap or exspensive

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We go up to enniskillen as we have a house up that direction.
    Havent bought any baby furniture up that way but have bought some baby food/nappies for friends in Asda. Because the prices have come down here on a lot of items there isnt much of a difference. They do a baby event every so often and have some good specials then. But if you were only travelling to buy some baby food/nappies you wouldnt be making much of a saving after taking time/petrol into account.

I have been researching furniture over the last number of weeks as we are due twins of our own next year. There is a fairly big price difference between Mothercare in the North and here. You could make a fair amount of a saving if you were buying a fair few things even after taking exchange rate into consideration. The only problem with this is they wont deliver to a southern address so you would need to have a van to buy a fair bit of stuff! I havent looked at prices in any of the smaller shops up north!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

To be honest, the only dedicated baby furniture you need is a cot. Ordinary chests of drawers, shelves and/or wardrobes are a lot cheaper than the baby stuff. The likes of M*mas and P*apas and M*thercare charge a fortune for what is to me, ordinary simple furniture. You can use a cot-top changer or attach one to a regular chest of drawers as a changing table. I'd second the Ikea idea, their stuff is good quality and you could get a whole room for the price of a cot elsewhere. Even the more 'upmarket' stuff comes as flat-pack now anyway. Argos do baby furniture too, it'd be worth comparing their Irish and UK sites. For our wee man, I put my effort into painting and decorating his room, rather than spending a fortune on furniture.

As for baby stuff, go onto Asda's website for an idea of prices. I'd be a bit wary of stocking up too much on formula though, in case it doesn't agree with your baby, I've heard of mothers having to try a few brands on this forum. They are a good bit cheaper on nappies, though I tend to only buy them on special offer or during their baby event anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

Hate all that flat pack stuff. I seem to always have extra screws when i put some thing together.
    Unfortunately even if you buy from the baby shops your still getting them flatpacked. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

babyztore in newry has gorgeous stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mothercare in Belfast was an eye opener for us when compared to the ROI shops. Much lower prices and they even couriered it to Dublin for very little money. We also stopped off at Ikea and got some furniture (changing table). Quality is average (you will probably have to stick some more screws in it or nail it tight again after a couple of years) but then so is the price.

Kiddiecare.com has been a bargain find for us too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dyfin - www.kiddicare.com ;)

Also a huge kiddicare fan here,have bought alot from them as have friends and their after sales service has been good to date too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Thanks all good info.

Advertisement