Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think of moving to Bray! Advice please!!

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all,

Myself and my husband are first time buyers and seriously thinking of Woodbrook Glen / Corke Abbey in Bray, has anybody any advice on what this area is like particularly Woodbrook Glen? I have found some old threads with people saying its a good area but now the usual is happening where people are saying you don't want to live there the council has rented a lot of the houses and it's gone down hill and now I'm just a bit worried is it good or bad? We had a walk around there a few times and we did like it my only concern would be the park beside it. A house like anybody knows is a scary buy and the chances of selling it again if you didn't like the area are pretty slim! We have seen other parts of Bray which are quite nice but the traffic on the main street isn't worth the hassle. I'd appreciate any comments or advice at all!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Gillian1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and my husband are first time buyers and seriously thinking of Woodbrook Glen / Corke Abbey in Bray, has anybody any advice on what this area is like particularly Woodbrook Glen? I have found some old threads with people saying its a good area but now the usual is happening where people are saying you don't want to live there the council has rented a lot of the houses and it's gone down hill and now I'm just a bit worried is it good or bad? We had a walk around there a few times and we did like it my only concern would be the park beside it. A house like anybody knows is a scary buy and the chances of selling it again if you didn't like the area are pretty slim! We have seen other parts of Bray which are quite nice but the traffic on the main street isn't worth the hassle. I'd appreciate any comments or advice at all!
    Thanks.

I quite like bray, but driving through it is a nightmare, so having a job that isn't in breay is a nonstarter, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

If I'd live in Bray and work in the city centre, I'd use the dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

Thanks for the replies, we both work in sandyford ind est and drive and like that woodbrook glen is just off the r'about so don't have to sit in all the traffic into Bray town and we really liked woodbrook and was just hoping that I could get some view (hopefully goods ones) on the estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why not rent for a year in the area first to get a feel for it and see if you like it. Plus you might be in a better position in a years time to buy as the houses may be cheaper than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Woodbrook is not a bad estate. Very rarely hear anything bad about it. There was one very serious incident when a chinese girl was murdered by her boyfriend a few years ago in either there or cork abbey but not heard anything since.
    If traffic is an issue you should try driving to woodbrook from the motorway one day after you finish work as that road is very busy with traffic coming off the N11. In fact you could try that and then another day try coming off the Fassaroe exit and left at costcutters and north up to woodbrook that way might be slightly quicker.
    It's a good walk to the town and the beach but there are regular buses if you didn't want to drive.

• Advertisement

Thanks Foxy06 just what i wanted to hear that its a good place!
    we have done the drive many times we've frinds that live in Bray and its just as handy going the back way then the motor way if its bad, theres a few really nice affordable houses up there in woodbrook that i like and particulalry one i love! I think i'll ignore the scaremongers that told me its a bad estate as i think they were being a bit unfair on the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Woodbrook is an older estate in Bray which is quite, Close to the M5O,
    However some things to consider.
    It can be an nightmare to get out of in the morning. (but is bearable and I would not consider it a reason to move elsewhere)
    It is a long walk to the town.
    Your Closest pub would not be the greatest. Next one would be in the town. Any of the decent pubs are half an hour walk min.
    There is a garage close by for essentials and a good veg shop.
    As it is an older estate there doesnt seem to be to many young kids around.
    There is a small industrial estate half way down corke Abbey rd. This is a suprisingly busy estate with plenty of traffic and trucks going during the weekdays, however it is dead at weekends.

exactly i wouldnt let traffic be a deciding factor, we'll be leaving for work before the rush anyway but would be coming back in at peak, i just want to live in peace in an area thats not overrun with hoodies annoying the neighbourhood and without meaning to sound to bad, people who lets say are quite happy to get everything for free so dont give a damn about there house cos its not theres and let theyre kids run wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MrMickeyMouse

Woodbrook Glen has young kids running all over it! Playing in the roads, running out from between parked cars. You have got to question the mentality of the parents on the estate.

Sadly the small park/valley is full of dumped rubbish and dogs mess everywhere. Not uncommon to find 1/2 a kitchen or a shopping trolley dumped in the stream each week.

As for the graffiti everywhere, the cans of cider...need I go on?

Not a rough area, but also not an area people seem to take pride in any more.

Advertisement