Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I called into Noels for a quick look today, it's not bad at all but it has very little stock at the moment, some of the stuff is ok but they have loss of each thing on display which takes up all the space. They've a few nice penguin pieces, they have loads of Hilfiger which is a pity as it dems to be sold everywhere these days, the new Hilfiger stuff is nice but Noels would be as well off concentrating on something less ubiquitous. They have a couple of nice Franklin and Marshall items which are hard enough to find and really good quality. Worth a look around certainly and a nice addition to Bedford row.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A burger fast food place

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is it still opening at the roundabout just off the Ballysimon interchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

marno21 wrote: »

That would be a really strange place for it to open. Surly it will be a city centre location or one of the major shopping centres.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Where Northern Trust was or inside the retail park? May not have been Northern Trust, but I remember a similar company was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I highly doubt this. They'll either open in town or in or in one of the shopping centres.

It was a wind up that somebody put up here, I assume it was the most ridiculous place they could come up with, like M&S opening in the Island Field or IKEA on Clancy Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd imagine a location hasn't even been chosen yet. They are opening 5 in Dublin first. I'd imagine Cork next on the priority list and then Galway/Limerick. I'd say we will be doing well to see five guys by next summer.

I can't wait to be honest and really hope the ones here match the ones in the states. The burgers and chips are unbelievable. Trying to stay out of the place will be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It was a wind up that somebody put up here, I assume it was the most ridiculous place they could come up with, like M&S opening in the Island Field or IKEA on Clancy Strand

Sure that's the reason they're knocking a lot of the houses, isn't it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭adaminho

h3000 wrote: »
    That would be a really strange place for it to open. Surly it will be a city centre location or one of the major shopping centres.

I always the thought the old Aib on the top of William Street would make a good TFI Fridays or such especially if they could get their hands on the small car park behind it. Maybe Dunnes stores on O'Connell Street?

Also see Pandora Jewelry are moving into the old O2 store next to the Body shop. Seems to be a great pick up of stores in town again with Cruises Street full Centra expanding PTSB moving into O'Connell st etc. There's work going on in the old bookies and beauticians on Upper William st also.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

adaminho wrote: »
    I always the thought the old Aib on the top of William Street would make a good TFI Fridays or such especially if they could get their hands on the small car park behind it. Maybe Dunnes stores on O'Connell Street?

I couldn't see any major name setting up in Upper William St. It's a dump and deserted at night time.

Would love to see them do something with sarsfield Dunnes like what you have in the uk. One stop place for eating, something like The Gate in Newcastle. It has a nandos, tgi Fridays, a weather spoons, a few more bars and restaurants also under one roof like a massive food hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

Jofspring wrote: »
    Would love to see them do something with sarsfield Dunnes like what you have in the uk. One stop place for eating, something like The Gate in Newcastle. It has a nandos, tgi Fridays, a weather spoons, a few more bars and restaurants also under one roof like a massive food hall.
    Yeah that would be great.I hope the Old Dunnes can be knocked soon.I also think William St could do with some sprucing up.Not sure if it's the shops there but it just has a bit of a run down feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Was driving down to the Munster game this evening and saw a new building going up next to Northern Trust out by Castletroy. Is it more office space for Northern Trust or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's more space for NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sleepyman wrote:
    Yeah that would be great.I hope the Old Dunnes can be knocked soon.I also think William St could do with some sprucing up.Not sure if it's the shops there but it just has a bit of a run down feel to it.

I'm amazed that the old dunnes is still empty.

You'd think dunnes would rent it out or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

dunworth1 wrote: »

to whom? only their direct competitors would be iterested in the spot. thst's the reason they're holding onto it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think an IKEA for Limerick would not be an entirely outlandish idea. In the right place (Dublin side of Limerick by the motorway perhaps) it could have quite a catchment area of surrounding counties, since people will travel some distances to go there. I know I would, in the good old days when I had a work van and a fuel card, I would go up to the one in Belfast, ah them where the days.

I think an IKEA for Limerick would not be an entirely outlandish idea. In the right place (Dublin side of Limerick by the motorway perhaps) it could have quite a catchment area of surrounding counties, since people will travel some distances to go there. I know I would, in the good old days when I had a work van and a fuel card, I would go up to the one in Belfast, ah them where the days.

I'm not sure you got the context of my post:p

Personally I think Limerick has the type of central location that would suit IKEA better than Cork or Galway but I'm not up on the traffic or planning considerations that would be required. Clancy Strand may indeed be a prime location:pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you got the context of my post:p

Personally I think Limerick has the type of central location that would suit IKEA better than Cork or Galway but I'm not up on the traffic or planning considerations that would be required. Clancy Strand may indeed be a prime location:pac:

Ah, I didn't indeed. An Clancy's Strand may not be the best location unless I'm missing something again. Otherwise we might as well put them into Henry Street. :eek:
    It might go well somewhere beside to motorway in the Ballysimon or Annacotty area, not much worry traffic wise there if it's not put on the city side.

I thought it was up for rent but the rent and rates are scandalous.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I thought it was up for rent but the rent and rates are scandalous.

it fits in with city center strategy, rather have it empty, make no money and fall into disrepair than have it make even a little bit less money. Solution? Certainly not cut rent or rates. Then blame out of town shopping centers and propose to tax them more as well, because if the city center is failing, at least balance that out by ruining everyone else as well.

Ya its scandalous. I reckon it's 10 years now that that building has been empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

it fits in with city center strategy, rather have it empty, make no money and fall into disrepair than have it make even a little bit less money. Solution? Certainly not cut rent or rates. Then blame out of town shopping centers and propose to tax them more as well, because if the city center is failing, at least balance that out by ruining everyone else as well.

Well in fairness Dunnes own the building and would set the rent, and I doubt the council can give preferential rates to one business over another.

pigtown wrote: »
    Well in fairness Dunnes own the building and would set the rent, and I doubt the council can give preferential rates to one business over another.

Its not just that business, but rent and rates have destroyed businesses all over Ireland especially in towns and cites.
    In the end its so expensive any small independent shops get destroyed and all you're left with are soulless global chains in town centers, because they have the turnover to pay outrageous rents and rates. So we're happily destroying our own indigenous shops for a few bucks more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The problem with Dunnes for both the Sarsfield and O'Connell Street unit is the same as with their other boarded up prime main street retail units across the country. During the economic slow down, Dunnes closed a lot of their high street smaller units and focused on their out of town larger outlets that had free parking etc. Unlike most retailers who rent out premises, Dunnes own most of their units which they've had for decades and choose to leave them idle and not earn rental income rather than rent them out to potential clothing or food competitors which is why you often have these fine large retail buildings in prime pitches left idle and crumbling.

Tralee, Dundalk, Wexford among other towns all have identical boarded up old Dunnes units on their main streets. The local councils in these towns have complained about it but their hands are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Stormy Teacup is reopening today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

The Stormy Teacup is reopening today

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

davo2001 wrote: »
    Where?

Same place, foxs bow

Advertisement