Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Same place, foxs bow

So what makes them think doing the same thing in the same place will yeild different results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

They might use cups that would bring me back

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

davo2001 wrote: »
    So what makes them think doing the same thing in the same place will yeild different results?

Maybe they managed to convince more people to give them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

sioda wrote: »

I quite liked the mugs they used.. like they wanted to create something different..

Don't know was Limerick really the right place for it though..

Hopefully it'll last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't think it's the same people either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭Cartman78

This looks like a bit of political fluff/puff/spin but it seems there might be an extra 100 jobs in Uber announced......

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/11/16/uber-announce-second-phase-and-extra-jobs-in-limerick/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Choice of drinking vessel would be quite far down the list of criteria for a cafe for me. I'd be interested if they do a decent coffee and nice cake, even though cake and cafe are not two things normally associated with each other in Ireland, I know it's more about full Irish, soups and sandwiches. But I'm always a sucker for a good brownie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

They might also provide plain scones and/or toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

davo2001 wrote: »

It's under completely different mmanagement so I people shouldn't write it off until they have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Bored_lad wrote: »
    It's under completely different mmanagement so I people shouldn't write it off until they have been there.

I didn't even know it was sold! Glad it's back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya its scandalous. I reckon it's 10 years now that that building has been empty.

I used to work in another until in the complex and started December 2006, it's only about 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It closed on the 23rd of August 2008. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Stormy Teacup has reopened. Open til 7pm. For those who didn't get there first time round you have your chance now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

yogalady wrote: »
    Stormy Teacup has reopened. Open til 7pm. For those who didn't get there first time round you have your chance now

name kinda apt today. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

yogalady wrote: »

I always thought the flaw with their business model was that they tried to be both a daytime and night-time café. I see now that they're going with daytime only and that's great. Hopefully they'll be open to expanding into evenings once they solidify their day time trade.

zulutango wrote: »
    I always thought the flaw with their business model was that they tried to be both a daytime and night-time café. I see now that they're going with daytime only and that's great. Hopefully they'll be open to expanding into evenings once they solidify their day time trade.

Wouldn't they just be back at day and night time trade then? :pac::P

The point was they were trying to do too much, too soon. In the long run it might be viable to do both though!

The point was they were trying to do too much, too soon. In the long run it might be viable to do both though!

I do quite like the idea of a nighttime cafe, I remember the Manhatten in Dublin, full Irish at 3 am, pissed as a Lord.

I do quite like the idea of a nighttime cafe, I remember the Manhatten in Dublin, full Irish at 3 am, pissed as a Lord.

Remember Java's in Limerick? It's amazing how a late night café was viable in the 90's but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Remember Java's in Limerick? It's amazing how a late night café was viable in the 90's but not now.

Was only thinking of it, when all this talk of Starbucks kicked off. Has anyone else tried the coffee in the Wild Onion? Really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can you remind me where that was? As a UL student of the 90s, I did go there a number of times but just can't place where it was!!:)

Never been there, I only remember the "food" you used to get in the Queen's nightclub in Ennis at the time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Java's was on the Thomas street end of Catherine street, as far as I remember it was on the left hand side of the lane leading to Anne Street across the road from where Bourke's pub was operating recently.

I can recall Tribes in Cork being thronged every night when I was in college in the 90s, Java's was busy enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was on Catherine Street where Uber are now, found these photos on the web:

446574175_9f867900d2-1.jpg

interior.jpg

They were not a soulless corporate selling the exact same sh*t as everyone else? They never stood a chance.

They were not a soulless corporate selling the exact same sh*t as everyone else? They never stood a chance.

There's a certain sad irony to the fact that Starbucks will be moving into that space pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Ah Javas..spent many an afternoon there. They got left behind imo. Was a lovely building, and started off great, but the food and particularly the service was terrible towards the end..

Cool place though in its prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Upstairs also had the some pod chair thing hanging from the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Berty wrote: »
    Upstairs also had the some pod chair thing hanging from the ceiling.

You can see it in the picture above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It was a nice place and I spent a bit of time in there, it was quite artsy and a little bit but not overly trendy, more grungey I suppose.

However the grub and the coffee were both quite poor, I'm trying to remember what brand of coffee they served?

Anyway here's a nice tribute from someone.

http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/2013/a-loving-tribute-to-javas-cafe/

Advertisement