Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I really hope that isn't a eurogiant that's a great unit and you have some really good places that attract people down their like Schuh, Diesel, Clarks, Noels now and then places like Figaro's and the Buttery so there is great potential for a good shop to go in there.

On the wine bar I think it's a good thing to have competition if the market can't support the amount we have then it won't stay open long. So far, as far as I'm concerned the copper rooms is the best. I haven't heard anything about that Urban Vineyard place but it doesn't look very inviting from the outside.

They're not proper Diesel or Clarks stores though. WTF is Tailor of Blue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a menswear shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What constitutes a proper Diesel store?

miralize wrote: »
    What constitutes a proper Diesel store?

The one that sells real Diesel clothing.
    There are none in Ireland. You can buy real Diesel in the likes of Brown Thomas and House of Fraser.

Diesel Ireland sell tat that is a step above Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The one that sells real Diesel clothing. There are none in Ireland. You can buy real Diesel in the likes of Brown Thomas and House of Fraser.

So are they selling knock offs?

Also what's wrong with the clarks store?
    I find them suitable for my needs
    And if they don't have something they will order it in for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dunworth1 wrote: »
    So are they selling knock offs?

Different company altogether. Registered the name in Ireland before the Italian company did. Hence the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If you want proper knockoffs you want to go to Paraffin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would agree there not the best but still if you got a good shop in the Pamela Scott unit such as H&M or someplace with a strong men's section they would do well. As you have Diesel, Schuh, Noels, Tailor of Blue and The Connelly Man sale shop down there along with Figaro's which by its self is attracting a lot of males down there and is always busy.

I wish H&M would see sense, there is one in the Crescent SC and they don't have a men's section, or they did and then closed it down. I desperately want to go in there and ask them WTF is wrong with them and we don't all dress in tracksuits or shop in Penney's. I can't anyway since Penney's and Dunne's only do trousers for short, fat people. Once your inside leg is over 32 in Ireland, you're fcuked as it stands. But if your waist is 60, you're catered for. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

they don't have a men's section, or they did and then closed it down.

I assume it wasn't profitable if it closed.

The strange thing is that business usually do something for profit, not for what a few people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

For years I didn't even know H&M in the crescent had a men's. When I finally saw it it closed down about a month later. I never noticed any mannequins wearing men's in the window and it was right at the back of the shop so unless you went in with a woman there was nothing to entice you in.

• Advertisement

And they didn't have it written on the pillar as you walk in. It just mentioned Ladieswear and Childrenswear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I doubt that former Pamela Scott unit would be suitable for H&M. They usually go for premises with much larger floorplates.

Vanquished wrote: »
    I doubt that former Pamela Scott unit would be suitable for H&M. They usually go for premises with much larger floorplates.

It's quite a big store. It has three floors and is at least double the size of the other units on Bedford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have been in a few H&M stores in the uk and Spain that have been similar size if not smaller than Pamela Scotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Who cares how proper the stores are they attract people down and people want to buy from them so they will attract other stores to the area. The point is its a busy area with shops that are successful and aren't closing down constantly.

Also on the size of the unit its actually a big enough unit and would be more than suitable for a brand like H&M. It's an awful shame they don't sell mens clothes in Limerick. Their store is the crescent isn't that big any way if I remember correctly so size obviously isn't an issue for them when setting up.

Also on the size of the unit its actually a big enough unit and would be more than suitable for a brand like H&M. It's an awful shame they don't sell mens clothes in Limerick. Their store is the crescent isn't that big any way if I remember correctly so size obviously isn't an issue for them when setting up.

That unit is only around 900 square metres. The Cork store is twice that size and their Dublin stores are larger still. College Green is over 2,300 square metres so they tend to target large units. That said a H&M store in the city centre would be a big retail boost if it could be accommodated somewhere.

The likes of Topshop/Topman, Bull & Bear etc would be more suited to that unit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That unit is only around 900 square metres. The Cork store is twice that size and their Dublin stores are larger still. College Green is over 2,300 square metres so they tend to target large units. That said a H&M store in the city centre would be a big retail boost if it could be accommodated somewhere.

The likes of Topshop/Topman, Bull & Bear etc would be more suited to that unit.

If that were the case then they wouldn't have the tiny unit in the crescent. And it's already been pointed out that they have units around the same size as the Pamela Scott unit in the UK and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

If that were the case then they wouldn't have the tiny unit in the crescent. And it's already been pointed out that they have units around the same size as the Pamela Scott unit in the UK and Spain.

Not sure what the square footage but the H&M is Omni Shopping Centre in Santry is quite small and I would imagine the old Pamela Scott unit is much larger. The H&M in omni has both men and women's sections as far as I can recall.

As much as I would like to see them set up in the city centre. I would prefer that to be in a large unit where the full range can be carried. Having two undersized stores in Limerick would make no sense whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Mr price opening up in the old Co-Op building in Annacotty. Dont' know when it will be open, they have been hiring already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Not sure what the square footage but the H&M is Omni Shopping Centre in Santry is quite small and I would imagine the old Pamela Scott unit is much larger. The H&M in omni has both men and women's sections as far as I can recall.

I would suspect it may be Zara or some other brand in the Inditex group. It was recently reported that they were looking at an expansion in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mr price opening up in the old Co-Op building in Annacotty. Dont' know when it will be open, they have been hiring already.

Whats mr price?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    Whats mr price?

Cash and carry type place. There's been one in the Roxboro SC for a few years now.

Cholessys bar have put on facebook opening in Denmark st soon but there using a teenage disco facebook page just changed the name bad idea lol

Cash and carry type place. There's been one in the Roxboro SC for a few years now.

Never heard of it any good?They a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Mr Price is basically a pound shop but they do have a fantastic range of stationery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Cholessys bar have put on facebook opening in Denmark st soon but there using a teenage disco facebook page just changed the name bad idea lol

Its Luke Cholessy, Peters son, who is opening the pub. He also runs the Teenage Disco Event Company that operated the page, good way to get a following for it I suppose. Its going to attract a young crowd if anything.

My personal opinion is that it wont last very long, its going into the old Whelans/Cuckoo Box spot which seems to be cursed as far as pubs going in there is concerned, and from being in there I think it would need some serious internal renovation to get the place looking any bit well.

Without seeming like I'm attacking Luke, from what I've met of him he can have a bit of an attitude problem, so I'm curious to see how they handle the eventual influx of tracksuits and usually end up in there.

At the same time though, good to see him giving it a chance and now there is another watering hole around town that may, by chance probably with direction from Peter, it may actually become a success and we could have a new decent bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Whats mr price?

Same type of store as Dealz or Eurogiant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

davo2001 wrote: »
    I assume it wasn't profitable if it closed.

The strange thing is that business usually do something for profit, not for what a few people want.

That is half of commerce. The other half is advertising. You may have skipped that class. H&M doesn't do menswear, everybody knows that. So opening a tiny menswear section in the back of a store that no one knows about will result in...(drumroll) nobody going in! (badum-tish!)
    And the Irish buying public has learnt one thing from years of bitter experience: If you go in and ask for something, you will get a blank stare, the answer of "ah jaysis, nobody would be wanting this", the employee says "hold on I'll check", goes out back, smokes a cigarette, comes back in "sorry, we don't have that". Source? 20 years of experience. In one case I was told "sorry, we're out". Came back 10 minutes later, there it was on the shelf.
    So, the general rule is, if a shop doesn't advertise something, nobody will ask. Everyone is happy, the employee doesn't have to huff and puff and rolleyes, the customer doesn't have to stand around for 10 minutes while they "check" and we all have more time for our smartphones.
    The drawback is the scenario we had here:
    H&M decides to open a men's section. Nobody goes in because it doesn't say it has a men's section and you know you must never ask a shop floor person anything ever. Scores of men walk past shop thinking "if only they had a men's section", while inside the manager is wondering "why does nobody ever come into our men's section?". Result? Closed.
    A variaton on the theme is to let a popular item run out, don't re-order it for a month and then discontinue it because "nobody was buying it".
    You see? Retail is complex business, especially in Ireland, were many special rules apply as is usually the case here.
    Other H&M shops all over the world and even Ireland manage to have men's sections even in towns smaller than Limerick. If it didn't work, maybe it's because the shop have a monkey for a marketing person? Every other men's section in the Crescent SC seems to be doing just fine, it should have been easy enough to run one.

Advertisement