Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Vanquished wrote: »
    Hopefully an occupier can be found for the vacated PTSB premises on Sarsfield Street. It's a fine building and that street could do with some higher quality businesses.

I think the branch on Upper William Street has closed too now that the new flagship outlet on O'Connell Street is up and running.

Yeah, both old branches are to close. Good for O'Connell St., but not the city as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That work done on Sarsfield Street a few years ago was a missed opportunity. It's just not an attractive street. The council seem to see it as a traffic corridor and bus stop rather than a retail street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Would be great if Debenhams could renovate their store and possibly redevelop/rebuild the extension at the back. They could open up the shop onto Sarsfield Street/Liddy Street.

Gleesons Spar is opening in the new Inver Station by Punches Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Would be great if Debenhams could renovate their store and possibly redevelop/rebuild the extension at the back. They could open up the shop onto Sarsfield Street/Liddy Street.

Ya Debehams really need to do something with that shop. I rarely go in there unless I have to because I don't like the place especially the honeware section and the men's section in the basement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Debenhams don't own that premises, it still belongs to the Roche family afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Jofspring

And it would apparently cost too much money to renovate it. The building not in a great state and would mean a complete gutting and re-wiring job. Most the debenhams aren't great to be honest. A lot of the Penneys shops are more modern and nicer believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

bazz26 wrote: »
    Debenhams don't own that premises, it still belongs to the Roche family afaik.

Yes Debenhams are leasing all the former Roche's Stores buildings. The Roche family retain ownership of them.

The O'Connell Street store dates from 1950/51 when it replaced an earlier building that was destroyed by fire. The Sarsfield Street extension dates from the mid 1980s. In typical Limerick fashion they were permitted to destroy an attractive former Cannocks building prior to its construction!

By the looks of it the main department store hasn't changed much since it opened. It's tired and dated and needs a complete overhaul. I doubt Debenhams would be willing to splash out on a hugely expensive refurbishment and extension of a building they don't own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

I would think some form of mid range food outlet would do well where the bank was if it was run by debenhams and opened up into the store and onto the street?
    Course there is a million cafes in limerick now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Gleesons Spar is opening in the new Inver Station by Punches Cross.

I'm pretty sure they'll be running the new service station at the Hurler's in Castletroy too when it opens.

The Dominican Church on Glentworth St. is being taken over by some nuns from the U.S. so it won't be closing as planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

A new phone cover shop, Funtech, has opened in the Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

pigtown wrote: »
    A new phone cover shop, Funtech, has opened in the Parkway.

Great, cause there are not enough of them already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

phill106 wrote: »
    I would think some form of mid range food outlet would do well where the bank was if it was run by debenhams and opened up into the store and onto the street?
    Course there is a million cafes in limerick now :)

Wrong bank........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

I see the old mullanys on little Catherine Street is getting refurbed

sioda wrote: »
    I see the old mullanys on little Catherine Street is getting refurbed

It'll be interesting to see what goes in there....maybe another Starbucks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

An IT company is operating out of the old Bank building, renovating it as they go. Think they are called Techro or something like that.

I think he means the building recently vacated by PTSB.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I think he means the building recently vacated by PTSB.

No. The former AIB/Bank bar on O'Connell Street is now occupied by a company called Teckro.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-tech-company-is-banking-on-city-centre-location-1-7099488

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've seen the interior and it looks like a hotel

No. The former AIB/Bank bar on O'Connell Street is now occupied by a company called Teckro.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-tech-company-is-banking-on-city-centre-location-1-7099488

Boredlad was correcting black and white, he thought it was the bank up on the top of O'Connell street but phill106 was talking about the now empty TSB behind Debenhams on sarsfield street

Mc Love wrote: »
    I've seen the interior and it looks like a hotel

The building already had a fine original interior. It's a pity it's no longer open to the public as a bar or restaurant.

The additional work the new occupiers have carried out is impressive too.

http://thebankbuilding.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It'll be interesting to see what goes in there....maybe another Starbucks! :pac:

Just what we need....another coffee shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Factually correct... but it would be some feat for debenhams to open that building as a cafe linked to their existing property. The former bank premises adjacent to debenhams would be an easier job id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The building already had a fine original interior. It's a pity it's no longer open to the public as a bar or restaurant.

The additional work the new occupiers have carried out is impressive too.

http://thebankbuilding.ie/

Looks very grotty on the outside still!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Allens are opening a new Homeware store in the City. No location mentioned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Townie_P wrote: »
    Allens are opening a new Homeware store in the City. No location mentioned though.

Is the one on William St still there?

Ya one in William Street definitely there. I wonder is it a second location or a re-locate. If it's a re-locate then the unit Seduzca was in would be a good shout. Has had work being done to it recently and Allens were already using the window front to display items at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya one in William Street definitely there. I wonder is it a second location or a re-locate. If it's a re-locate then the unit Seduzca was in would be a good shout. Has had work being done to it recently and Allens were already using the window front to display items at Christmas.
    AFAIK Dealz bought that unit (unless the deal fell through?). Would be a surprise to see them lease it to Allens if it's theirs but you never know I suppose.

Townie_P wrote: »
    AFAIK Dealz bought that unit (unless the deal fell through?). Would be a surprise to see them lease it to Allens if it's theirs but you never know I suppose.

Oh great, more tat for William Street? Surely they'd need planning permission to knock into the unit next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Window of former seduzca unit covered over and northern reg vans working there - dealz use uk based shopfitters etc so most likely them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Jofspring wrote: »

From what I understand this is correct. Also the shelves where in over the last few weeks and no changes have been made to the joining wall between this store and Dealz

Advertisement