Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

A museum is going into the building alongside the Franciscans Church on Henry Street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cronin_j wrote: »
    A museum is going into the building alongside the Franciscans Church on Henry Street.

The Jim Kemmy Museum is going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Jim Kemmy Museum is going in there.

The council have been dragging their heels on that for a good few years now. We really have a ****e local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Tefral

zulutango wrote: »
    The council have been dragging their heels on that for a good few years now. We really have a ****e local authority.

Its definitely going ahead now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

So the museum is just going into the Friary? What's going to happen the actual church then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I would love if they put the art gallery's permanent collection on display here. Apparently it has about 3000 items or so but they only ever have a few on display in the gallery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Shoe Rack at the bottom of Cruises St is relocating to the Parkway.

Anyone else hear the rumour that Dealz is moving/opening another shop on Bedford Row?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Anyone else hear the rumour that Dealz is moving/opening another shop on Bedford Row?

Jesus, not another one! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

davo2001 wrote: »
    Jesus, not another one! :rolleyes:

Its spreading...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

I don't believe it to be honest. The old Pamela Scott store is over 3 floors and I've never seen a food store on more than one floor.

pigtown wrote: »
    I don't believe it to be honest. The old Pamela Scott store is over 3 floors and I've never seen a food store on more than one floor.

That's what I am thinking/hoping! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm 99% sure it is going into Pamela Scotts. They may not use all the floors either, the premises on William St has upper floors and they don't use them or anything at all. That said, their Poundland Shops in the UK often span multiple floors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Dealz opening up in that unit would be massively disappointing! A relatively large, modern and well located premises on a prime pedestrianised street needs to be filled by a quality retailer. The retail offering in the city centre is weak enough as it is and we could do without an opportunity like that being wasted!

I'm 99% sure it is going into Pamela Scotts. They may not use all the floors either, the premises on William St has upper floors and they don't use them or anything at all. That said, their Poundland Shops in the UK often span multiple floors

The upper floors of the William Street building are laid out as offices and storage space. I don't think the configuration is suitable for retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Did I not read a while back that dealz were expanding into the empty unit next store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Dealz going into that location would pretty much illustrate everything that is wrong with retail in the city.

Christ almighty can they not find a decent men's clothing store for that spot? One that isn't aimed at the over 40 crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Dealz going into that location would pretty much illustrate everything that is wrong with retail in the city.

Christ almighty can they not find a decent men's clothing store for that spot? One that isn't aimed at the over 40 crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The men's retail offering in limerick is brutal. I thought Noels might have offered something new in their store in Bedford row but it's the same labels as connollys and BT. Tony connollys is gone to pot altogether in recent years. Sextons is one I go back to time and again , sound lads but limited selection. Jack dn Jones and the like in the crescent are aimed at a young market..if your in your 30s you are screwed....Ennis is nearly better for mens stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Did Starbucks in Thomas Street open yet? I could see the signs up when I was in town last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ongarboy wrote:
    Did Starbucks in Thomas Street open yet? I could see the signs up when I was in town last month.

I passed there last night around 8 and there was loads of work going on. I say it will be up and running in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Red King wrote: »

The type of shops pretty much reflects the kind of demographic that live in the city. You won't really get other shops until the demographic changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

vkid wrote: »
    The men's retail offering in limerick is brutal. I thought Noels might have offered something new in their store in Bedford row but it's the same labels as connollys and BT. Tony connollys is gone to pot altogether in recent years. Sextons is one I go back to time and again , sound lads but limited selection. Jack dn Jones and the like in the crescent are aimed at a young market..if your in your 30s you are screwed....Ennis is nearly better for mens stuff.

It really is dreadful. Excluding the independent retailers I can only think of River Island, Timberland, Tailor of Blue and Diesel (hardly even worth including!). Debenhams might as well be catering for pensioners while Brown Thomas do whatever they do.

The city centre needs a varied offering to entice people in. We have plenty of cafes and a reasonable amount of restaurants. The selection of pubs needs to be improved but retail is the achilles heel. We must continue to push for more jobs in the city centre also. Uber was a good start but much more are needed. The empty shell at the GPO/hanging gardens site could accommodate another 300 or so workers. This is turn creates opportunities for new and existing businesses and strengthens the viability of the city centre. Of course it's not all about offices roles either. New retail jobs are required too and we must do better in attracting quality brands to Limerick. Cork has managed to do this recently and another large development has just started which will more than likely bring further high profile names. We need to up our game considerably and quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

vkid wrote: »

The offering is brutal. I dont think TC is bad though, they have a great selection of jeanwear and carry the Tommy Bowe stuff. But I guess it depends on your age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Mc Love wrote: »
    The offering is brutal. I dont think TC is bad though, they have a great selection of jeanwear and carry the Tommy Bowe stuff. But I guess it depends on your age

I think the Tommy Bowe stuff is shocking myself so I'd class that as a negative. The problem with Connollys isn't even the brands, it's the buyers. They stock GStar which do some lovely hoodies and T Shirts yet they only ever have crap in there. Worst of all is Scotch and Soda, have a look at their website and then compare it to the few miserable pieces they have inside in TC's.

Noels is actually better but could do with a huge shake up of the buyers as well,
    Unfortunately Brown Thomas is streets ahead of anything else in town or anywhere in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    The type of shops pretty much reflects the kind of demographic that live in the city. You won't really get other shops until the demographic changes.

Why couldn't they live elsewhere but shop in the city? It seems to work in other cities.

Red King wrote: »

Hear, hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I like some of the tommy bowe shoes but the quality is absolutely dire. Just terrible. I have two pairs and won't buy another.

Tony Connelly's has gone way way down in my opinion. Over priced identikit stuff..but each to their own. The buyers really need to get the finger out.

LIDL applying for planning permission to knock their own store and former Chadwicks store on Childers Road and rebuild one big LIDL.

Sounds ambitious!

LIDL applying for planning permission to knock their own store and former Chadwicks store on Childers Road and rebuild one big LIDL.

Sounds ambitious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sounds ambitious!

It would be great if they could also extend into the old Dan Ryan's garage, it's a terrible eyesore.

Advertisement